Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: trying to read a string quartet etc.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Great Lakes area of Canada, in Ontario, close to Lake Huron
    Posts
    75

    Default trying to read a string quartet etc.

    I am trying to read the scores of string quartets.,but I get lost about the 2nd or 3rd page. Is there a computer site, that shows you how? Piano trios are o.k. but past that, I get lost. Please advise.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Edward Elgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,021
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default

    1 - Find the melody and stick to it.

    2 - Look for reference points. If the whole page suddenly turns black with dots, you will hear a change in the music.

    3 - Listen through without the score first. You must do this.

    4 - Acquaint yourself with sonata form and learn where the first and second subjects, exposition and recap occur.
    When all the paint has been dried, when all the stone has been carved, music shall remain, and we shall work with what remains.

  3. #3
    Banned (Temporarily)
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elgar View Post
    Listen through without the score first. You must do this.
    "Must"? How about those who have new works, fresh works, tasty works, straight from the bakery? If your friend would give you score of his new piece for SQ, would you tell him "I won't see the score, I must listen first"? If one has to listen before reading it would mean that his skills are incomplete.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ukko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    "Must"? How about those who have new works, fresh works, tasty works, straight from the bakery? If your friend would give you score of his new piece for SQ, would you tell him "I won't see the score, I must listen first"? If one has to listen before reading it would mean that his skills are incomplete.
    You could ease off there, Aramis. "Edward Elgar" just used the wrong pronoun for your experience. Given my level of score-reading skill, I would have omitted the 'first'.

    Musician-level score readers have told me that 'hearing' ensemble music by reading the score only roughly approximates the reality.

    Experience teaches you to recognize a mistake when you've made it again.
    - anonymous

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Great Lakes area of Canada, in Ontario, close to Lake Huron
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Hilltroll 72, have you by chance, ever been to the Marlboro Music Festival, in your area? This is where I want to follow the score, when listening to the quartet, in the dining hall. The most trouble is with the repeats, that Schubert did, on a regular basis. BUT, when I am following the music, the musicians sometimes don't do all the repeats that are in the score, then I get lost. So, if there is a site on line that teaches one how to follow the score, without getting lost, I would deeply appreciate it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ukko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,379

    Thumbs up Marlboro ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevohteeb View Post
    Hilltroll 72, have you by chance, ever been to the Marlboro Music Festival, in your area? This is where I want to follow the score, when listening to the quartet, in the dining hall. The most trouble is with the repeats, that Schubert did, on a regular basis. BUT, when I am following the music, the musicians sometimes don't do all the repeats that are in the score, then I get lost. So, if there is a site on line that teaches one how to follow the score, without getting lost, I would deeply appreciate it.
    I have heard several performances at Marlboro; great place. The concert hall is not large, and tickets for ground floor seats need to be purchased early.

    I don't know of such a site. Maybe you can do a little preparation with the score:

    Count the bars for each repeat, and pencil in the number above the bar the repeat starts on. Go to the end of the repeat and make a mark pointing that place out. As soon as you realize that the players have skipped the repeat, move your eyes to the end of it, and pick up the music again.

    I don't read music to any useful degree, so that suggestion may be ridiculous for all I know.

    Experience teaches you to recognize a mistake when you've made it again.
    - anonymous

  7. #7
    Senior Member emiellucifuge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,935
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Just hold your finger in the page where the repeat starts and flip back to it once you reach the end- repeat mark. If the music then doesnt fit with what your seeing flip back to the end point and keep reading from there.

    Perhaps if you just prepare a bit you could hear whether theyve gone back or proceeded.

Similar Threads

  1. String Quartet talks, what do you like etc ?
    By jurianbai in forum Solo & Chamber Music
    Replies: 906
    Last Post: Jun-08-2014, 00:48
  2. Buxbaum String Quartet
    By Noel in forum Solo & Chamber Music
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Mar-07-2012, 13:12
  3. Duplication
    By Quartetfore in forum Solo & Chamber Music
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Aug-22-2010, 09:54
  4. classics online recordings & books thread
    By classicalmusicfan in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Apr-16-2010, 10:49
  5. Elias String Quartet disc on Wigmore Hall Live receives high critical acclaim
    By solideogloria in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May-28-2009, 11:01

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •