Banner: The Hope for brass band, organ, choir, and percussion

Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142 LastLast
Results 571 to 585 of 616

Thread: Cool concerts in the future?

  1. #571
    Senior Member Pugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    33,413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bettina View Post
    I'll be sure to post a complete update tomorrow, complete with a description of the alcoholic treats on offer (maybe I'd better ride my bike to the event instead of driving...)
    Live a little, take a cab.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  2. Likes Bettina liked this post
  3. #572
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds UK
    Posts
    1,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugg View Post
    Cant wait to hear how your evening went.
    Wonderful evening. He performed

    Debussy: Images Book II
    Schumann: Fantasie op. 17
    Debussy: La terrasse des audiences du clair de lune (Preludes Bk II)
    Debussy: Images Book I
    Beethoven: Sonata in F minor op. 57 (Appassionata)

    Encored with a piece from Schumann but couldn't remember which one it was!

    Managed to meet him afterwards and get an autograph. Really nice and friendly!

  4. Likes Pugg, Bettina, laurie and 1 others liked this post
  5. #573
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    18,686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bettina View Post
    I'll be sure to post a complete update tomorrow, complete with a description of the alcoholic treats on offer (maybe I'd better ride my bike to the event instead of driving...)
    You know Rachel Barton Pine almost died in a horrible train accident in 1995. She lost one leg and the other was badly damaged.

    She overcame all this and currently she is at the top of her game.

  6. Likes Bettina, laurie, Vaneyes liked this post
  7. #574
    Senior Member laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bettina View Post
    Biking in Davis is pretty safe, because there are lots of bike paths all over the place. But I'm sure you're right about the dangers of drunk biking, no matter how good the paths are! I'll probably just abstain from the rum cake and focus on the intoxicating thrill of learning new pedagogical techniques from Rachel... Stay tuned for an update.
    I was just teasing you ..... Anyway, I doubt that you (or most people) could consume enough rum cake to impair their (bicycling!) judgement.
    Hpowders, on the other hand ......
    Last edited by laurie; May-07-2017 at 21:18.
    * Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it.
    It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things. *
    - Tom Petty

  8. Likes hpowders, Bettina, Vaneyes liked this post
  9. #575
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    18,686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laurie View Post
    I was just teasing you ..... Anyway, I doubt that you (or most people) could consume enough rum cake to impair their (bicycling!) judgement.
    Hpowders, on the other hand ......
    Bettina's in it for the music and the pedagogy. She would be oblivious to rumcake's intoxicating power.

  10. Likes laurie, Bettina, Vaneyes liked this post
  11. #576
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,583
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I just got back from Rachel Barton Pine's master class. It was a fantastic experience! She did an amazing job striking a balance between technical advice and more general remarks about musical style and interpretation. I took detailed notes on many of her remarks; here are a few of the highlights:

    "Sometimes Beethoven purposefully goes against what the music feels like it wants - you want to do a crescendo, but he tells you not to, in order to create a sense of frustration."

    With reference to the Bach Chaconne in D Minor: "Bach pays homage to the dance forms, even though nobody would be dancing to this. Don't get too far away from a dance - the whole movement must never lose its dance flavor."

    Commenting on a student's performance of this Chaconne: "The use of vibrato sometimes felt a little random...vibrato needs to be intimately wedded to your interpretive choices. It needs to be happening in the right places to support your interpretation. This has to be done absolutely consciously."

    While helping a student with the Bartok Violin Concerto No. 2: "In the Hungarian language every word has an accent on the first syllable. And the music does too. This cannot be notated. You have to be a Hungarian gesture detective, search through the music to see where these gestures are hiding."

  12. Likes hpowders, Pugg, laurie and 1 others liked this post
  13. #577
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    18,686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bettina View Post
    I just got back from Rachel Barton Pine's master class. It was a fantastic experience! She did an amazing job striking a balance between technical advice and more general remarks about musical style and interpretation. I took detailed notes on many of her remarks; here are a few of the highlights:

    "Sometimes Beethoven purposefully goes against what the music feels like it wants - you want to do a crescendo, but he tells you not to, in order to create a sense of frustration."

    With reference to the Bach Chaconne in D Minor: "Bach pays homage to the dance forms, even though nobody would be dancing to this. Don't get too far away from a dance - the whole movement must never lose its dance flavor."

    Commenting on a student's performance of this Chaconne: "The use of vibrato sometimes felt a little random...vibrato needs to be intimately wedded to your interpretive choices. It needs to be happening in the right places to support your interpretation. This has to be done absolutely consciously."

    While helping a student with the Bartok Violin Concerto No. 2: "In the Hungarian language every word has an accent on the first syllable. And the music does too. This cannot be notated. You have to be a Hungarian gesture detective, search through the music to see where these gestures are hiding."
    I checked out a master class of hers on You Tube. She's incredible!

    From her recordings of Bach, she rarely uses any vibrato and yes, this is consistent throughout the Unaccompanied Sonatas & Partitas.

    As I previously wrote elsewhere, her Bach playing is completely HIP-inspired, yet with modern strings and pitch.

    A stark splash of cold water:

    Play an unaccompanied Bach sonata or partita performed by Arthur Grumiaux or Henryk Szeryng, laden with heavy vibrato, slides and crescendos and then listen to the same piece with Ms. Pine.

    You will fall out of your chair!

    She is simply the most intelligent, caring violinist playing today.
    Last edited by hpowders; May-08-2017 at 00:07.

  14. Likes Bettina, laurie, Vaneyes liked this post
  15. #578
    Senior Member Becca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    2,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Strictly speaking this doesn't apply as I just returned from it ... the San Diego Symphony and their retiring music director, Jahja Ling, did Mahler's 3rd, and they did a very good job.

  16. Likes Bettina, SiegendesLicht, Vaneyes liked this post
  17. #579
    Senior Member SiegendesLicht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am really looking forward to Mahler's 9th in October, with the NDR Orchestra and Thomas Hengelbrock. Should be fantastic.
    Last edited by SiegendesLicht; May-08-2017 at 09:10.
    ... yet for us will still remain the holy German art... (Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg)
    ***
    Auf die Berge will ich steigen,
    Wo die dunklen Tannen ragen,
    Bäche rauschen, Vögel singen,
    Und die stolzen Wolken jagen.
    Heinrich Heine

  18. Likes Vaneyes liked this post
  19. #580
    Senior Member Kontrapunctus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    3,543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Two of my favorite pianists back to back!

    Daniil Trifonov and the Mariinsky Orch conducted by Valery Gergiev play Trifonov's Piano Concerto November 2nd in my home town. Then the next night, Denis Matsuev performs with those same forces Prokofiev's 2nd Piano Concerto about 70 miles away. Both are going to be epic, and I have fantastic seats for them! It seems odd that the orchestra is on tour with two powerhouse pianists, but I'm not complaining.
    "Muß es sein?"
    "Es muß sein!"

  20. Likes Bettina, Vaneyes, Pugg liked this post
  21. #581
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
    You know Rachel Barton Pine almost died in a horrible train accident in 1995. She lost one leg and the other was badly damaged.

    She overcame all this and currently she is at the top of her game.

    "I could not would not overcome such trauma. I'd have hp take care of me."


  22. Likes hpowders, Bettina liked this post
  23. #582
    Senior Member Pugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    33,413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kontrapunctus View Post
    Two of my favorite pianists back to back!

    Daniil Trifonov and the Mariinsky Orch conducted by Valery Gergiev play Trifonov's Piano Concerto November 2nd in my home town. Then the next night, Denis Matsuev performs with those same forces Prokofiev's 2nd Piano Concerto about 70 miles away. Both are going to be epic, and I have fantastic seats for them! It seems odd that the orchestra is on tour with two powerhouse pianists, but I'm not complaining.
    Some people have all the luck.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  24. Likes Kontrapunctus, Bettina liked this post
  25. #583
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds UK
    Posts
    1,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Booked to see the "love of my life" lol with ASMF in January in Manchester. Front row too! So ecstatic!

    For those of you that don't know,
    Joshua Bell!

    They will be performing

    Four Seasons Vivaldi
    TBA Edgar Mayer
    Symphony no 2 Beethoven
    Last edited by Judith; May-20-2017 at 12:12.

  26. Likes Pugg, Vaneyes liked this post
  27. #584
    Senior Member Pugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    33,413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Booked to see the "love of my life" lol with ASMF in January in Manchester. Front row too! So ecstatic!

    For those of you that don't know,
    Joshua Bell!

    They will be performing

    Four Seasons Vivaldi
    TBA Edgar Mayer
    Symphony no 2 Beethoven
    Fantastic Judith, before we know it is 2018.
    Last edited by Pugg; May-20-2017 at 13:32.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  28. Likes Judith, SiegendesLicht liked this post
  29. #585
    Senior Member Kontrapunctus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    3,543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm attending the semi-final rounds of the Van Cliburn Competition during the first week in June. Has anyone attended it? If so, how do people dress, especially for the evening performances?
    "Muß es sein?"
    "Es muß sein!"

  30. Likes Pugg liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Recordings vs. Concerts
    By Kurkikohtaus in forum Orchestral Music
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: Feb-12-2016, 16:59
  2. Really Cool New CD..
    By Emily in forum Non-Classical Music
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Dec-04-2008, 14:18
  3. Orchestra Concerts in NYC
    By violineve in forum News, Concerts and Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct-24-2007, 18:35
  4. Symphonic Orchestra Concerts in NYC
    By violineve in forum News, Concerts and Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct-24-2007, 18:19
  5. Concerts I'm going to in Sept. and Oct.
    By Morigan in forum News, Concerts and Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Sep-21-2007, 05:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •