Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Asian classical music

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Posts
    269

    Default Asian classical music

    I have been trying to read some history of Asian classical music. "Trying" because all I have found so far is a summary. I'll find more. Meanwhile, can anyone recommend a few good CDs with Asian classical music - Byzantium, India, China, Middle East, Persia, Greece (taken from this outline and not, I know, complete). In fact, I saw a comment on one web page that said there is no such thing as classical music in Japan. Now, knowing the definition of "classical".......?

    Thank you for some ideas.

  2. #2
    Senior Member science's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    8,749
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default

    Nonesuch Explorer series has an album of Javanese Gamelan called Bali: Music from the Morning of the World; and another called Iran that is of Persian classical music. They're both interesting. The other albums in that series might interest you as well, but I haven't heard them.

    For Byzantium, Marie Keyrouz has an album called Chant Byzantin that is really beautiful. She also has albums on Maronite Chant and so on.

    Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan has made a number of CDs of Pakistani Sufi music; I've heard one, and it's nice. I've also heard The Rough Guide to Sufi Music, which includes stuff from North Africa as well as Asia, but that was a good CD and the best of the Rough Guides that I've heard.

    I have about 5 cds of traditional Korean music, but I don't recommend any of them without qualifications: I find them very boring. Buddhist chant in Korean-Chinese (basically a different dialect of Chinese) is pretty monotonous; the Kut music is too, but it does have some similarities to the Gamelan music (lots of percussion).

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Thank you, Science. I'll take the list with me when I go shopping.

  4. #4
    Senior Member jurianbai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Yo Yo Ma has a group of Asia eccletic musicians, some Persian music + chinese, the CD is called "Silk Road Project" if I am not wrong.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jurianbai View Post
    Yo Yo Ma has a group of Asia eccletic musicians, some Persian music + chinese, the CD is called "Silk Road Project" if I am not wrong.
    Maybe I should listen. I have only heard one Yo Yo Ma performance and, I must admit, was not impressed. I know. That puts me somewhere at the bottom of the class because almost everyone seems enthused by his music.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ralfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Wasteland
    Posts
    210

    Default

    I shared this in another thread:

    http://www.medieval.org/music/world.html
    We few, we happy few, we band of chipmunks....

  7. #7
    Senior Member Argus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mancunia
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    In fact, I saw a comment on one web page that said there is no such thing as classical music in Japan.
    Gagaku is normally accepted as the classical music of Japan as that is what was performed at the Imperial courts. You could also put in the the music that is part of the Noh, Kabuki and Bunraku traditions in the classical category.

    I second Science's recommendations of the Nonesuch Explorer Series. They are pretty well recorded for the time and the booklets are full of information. CMP also has a few good gamelan CD's.

    Indian classical music is a very deep subject to cover in one post and a lot of it depends on what instruments you prefer. You can't really go wrong with the big names like Ravi Shankar, Ali Akhbar Khan, Shivkumar Sharma, Hariprasad Chaurasia or Asad Ali Khan. If you like violin, try Ganesh & Kumaresh:



    For some good oud playing check out Hosam Hayek's new CD.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Gagaku is normally accepted as the classical music of Japan as that is what was performed at the Imperial courts. You could also put in the the music that is part of the Noh, Kabuki and Bunraku traditions in the classical category.

    I second Science's recommendations of the Nonesuch Explorer Series. They are pretty well recorded for the time and the booklets are full of information. CMP also has a few good gamelan CD's.

    Indian classical music is a very deep subject to cover in one post and a lot of it depends on what instruments you prefer. You can't really go wrong with the big names like Ravi Shankar, Ali Akhbar Khan, Shivkumar Sharma, Hariprasad Chaurasia or Asad Ali Khan. If you like violin, try Ganesh & Kumaresh:



    For some good oud playing check out Hosam Hayek's new CD.
    Thank you. Be back in a bit. Phone man coming to do war with me. :-)

  9. #9
    Senior Member Ralfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Wasteland
    Posts
    210

    Default

    I tried to post a link before but I kept getting a "moderated" message.

    You'll find it by using Google to search for "traditional world music recordings" It's a page from the Medieval Org site.
    We few, we happy few, we band of chipmunks....

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralfy View Post
    I tried to post a link before but I kept getting a "moderated" message.

    You'll find it by using Google to search for "traditional world music recordings" It's a page from the Medieval Org site.
    Thank you. I was just at B&N and ordered two. It surely is hard to get exactly what you want at B&N. But, I think we came close.

  11. #11
    Senior Member chee_zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    269

    Default

    For indian classical, there is TERAYBYTES of audio/video/notations on the web for free. shivkumar.org requires no registration, sangeethamshare.org does (but it's hundreds of gigs worth of audio and video of full concerts. you can sort by song form, instrument, tradition, etc). Nothing like filling up your hard drive with 30+ carnatic saxophone2-3 hour long concerts! tons of clarinet, violin, vocal, sarod, sitar, and other instruments too. I'mma have to save up a good hundred bucks and get me one of them there 1 TB hard drives from newegg or something, I have less than a gig left lol.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chee_zee View Post
    For indian classical, there is TERAYBYTES of audio/video/notations on the web for free. shivkumar.org requires no registration, sangeethamshare.org does (but it's hundreds of gigs worth of audio and video of full concerts. you can sort by song form, instrument, tradition, etc). Nothing like filling up your hard drive with 30+ carnatic saxophone2-3 hour long concerts! tons of clarinet, violin, vocal, sarod, sitar, and other instruments too. I'mma have to save up a good hundred bucks and get me one of them there 1 TB hard drives from newegg or something, I have less than a gig left lol.
    Thank you much.

Similar Threads

  1. Richard Strauss : His Alpensinfonie
    By tahnak in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: Oct-13-2013, 20:09
  2. A typical 'classical snob', that's me...
    By wolf in forum New Members - Introductions
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: Mar-24-2013, 18:08
  3. The Greatest Composer for the Human voice - Your vote
    By peeyaj in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: May-01-2012, 06:46
  4. The Musical Mind
    By Yagan Kiely in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jan-02-2010, 12:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •