Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By World Violist
  • 1 Post By Vaneyes
  • 2 Post By Meaghan

Thread: Jailed Conductors

  1. #1
    Senior Member Vaneyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,616

    Default Jailed Conductors

    Is there something in this profession that boosts the chance of criminal activity? This list is only from the past four years. Komiyama was jailed prior to that, and now faces more problems.


    Shuichi Komiyama

    http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com...cc4c03286.html

    Robert Hillier

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...ill-in-US.html

    David Lindup

    http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crim...wants-him-back

    Martin Freke

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...et/7772235.stm


    Robert King

    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture...ductor_jailed/

  2. #2
    Senior Member World Violist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,334
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Probably similar to the celebrity problem, except it's not as bad with conductors because they actually consistently do something for a living because their celebrity depends on it.

    I remember a few years ago or something, Paavo Jarvi got pulled over for DUI. Oh well. I'm sure tons of other people have been jailed for far worse, repeatedly. They're just not on TV or in front of thousands of people every week, so they don't get any attention.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Vaneyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by World Violist View Post
    Probably similar to the celebrity problem, except it's not as bad with conductors because they actually consistently do something for a living because their celebrity depends on it.

    I remember a few years ago or something, Paavo Jarvi got pulled over for DUI. Oh well. I'm sure tons of other people have been jailed for far worse, repeatedly. They're just not on TV or in front of thousands of people every week, so they don't get any attention.
    Yes, to my recollection, when a conductor made non-musical news, it was of a minor scandalous or misdemeanor nature, such as the P. Jarvi DUI, MTT's marijuana bust, or Sir Eugene Goossen's pornography bust.

    The aforementioned criminal cases of the past four years are something new to me. Maybe because it's harder to make things go away these days? Or because they've been elevated to a position of trust like other professions?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sid James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,002
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    He was firstly a composer and only a conductor in a secondary way (to my knowledge), but American Henry Cowell spent some time in the nick for some kind of sexual charge, which was later proved unfounded. But the man made good use of his time there, he even set up an orchestra made up of the other inmates (& yes, he was their conductor!)...
    Contrasts and Connections in Music

    "When reason and instinct are reconciled, there will be no higher appeal" - Rameau

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,122

    Default

    Bach was jailed for a month

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    5,576

    Default

    Way back in 1655 Johann Rosenmuller was jailed for pederasty and somehow escaped and ended up flourishing in Venice for the next 25 years until he was invited back to Germany in 1682.

    So to answer the question, is there something in this profession that boosts the chance of criminal activity? If you're a pedophile, being put in charge of a choir of boys would definitely boost the chance of that happening.
    Last edited by Manxfeeder; Jun-17-2011 at 16:13.

  7. #7
    Senior Member World Violist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,334
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manxfeeder View Post
    So to answer the question, is there something in this profession that boosts the chance of criminal activity? If you're a pedophile, being put in charge of a choir of boys would definitely boost the chance of that happening.
    This just made my day.

    People do criminal things because they can, not because they're successful. We only know about musicians and other celebrities because everybody "knows" them by look. Would we have even known about Paavo Jarvi's DUI (or any of the aforementioned) were he not a superstar conductor? No, because other people do that too.

    Why are there so many sex scandals involving politicians? Because people see them as an infallible body representative of the people, and therefore they must be absolutely innocent and free of any sort of human error. When they do something untoward and people find out, it spreads like wildfire because they "aren't supposed to be doing that." Right. Neither is anyone else, and none of them get fired or scrutinized on CNN and Fox Prop. It's not really any different from musicians. It was a huge deal when Leonard Bernstein got a new position because he was a gay American-born and -trained Jew who drank excessively and wrote Broadway musicals. But he got the attention because he was the director of the New York Philharmonic.

    It's really kinda infuriating to see success becoming such a bad thing.
    Sid James likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,582

    Default

    Mikhail Pletnev, conductor of the RNO, was charged with pedophilia last year, although the charges have been dropped.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Sofronitsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    Mikhail Pletnev, conductor of the RNO, was charged with pedophilia last year, although the charges have been dropped.
    He has been charged more than once, so I think we pretty much know the story on that one :/

  10. #10
    Senior Member Vaneyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by World Violist View Post
    This just made my day.

    People do criminal things because they can, not because they're successful. We only know about musicians and other celebrities because everybody "knows" them by look. Would we have even known about Paavo Jarvi's DUI (or any of the aforementioned) were he not a superstar conductor? No, because other people do that too.

    Why are there so many sex scandals involving politicians? Because people see them as an infallible body representative of the people, and therefore they must be absolutely innocent and free of any sort of human error. When they do something untoward and people find out, it spreads like wildfire because they "aren't supposed to be doing that." Right. Neither is anyone else, and none of them get fired or scrutinized on CNN and Fox Prop. It's not really any different from musicians. It was a huge deal when Leonard Bernstein got a new position because he was a gay American-born and -trained Jew who drank excessively and wrote Broadway musicals. But he got the attention because he was the director of the New York Philharmonic.

    It's really kinda infuriating to see success becoming such a bad thing.
    I agree that it's not only about success.

    I can see two stages for the perps. First, committing their acts in relative obscurity, through personality and what little positional power they may then have. Second, as they achieve more success and fame, letting their persona do most of the luring. Their persona being a bundled magnet of charm, success, celebrity.

    It's a two-edged sword for the famous. A volume of easy victims. Increased chance of getting caught and prosecuted.
    Sid James likes this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Meaghan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR (US)
    Posts
    847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by World Violist View Post
    It was a huge deal when Leonard Bernstein got a new position because he was a gay American-born and -trained Jew who drank excessively and wrote Broadway musicals.
    Haha. I love Leonard Bernstein.

    And that is all I have to contribute to this thread; bye bye.
    World Violist and Sofronitsky like this.

Similar Threads

  1. Conductors grunting
    By maestro267 in forum Conductors & Conducting
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Jan-12-2012, 23:48
  2. Female Conductors
    By Violinnostalgics in forum Conductors & Conducting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Oct-27-2010, 22:14
  3. mature conductors?
    By fairyrak in forum Conductors & Conducting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Mar-30-2010, 16:29
  4. Conductors
    By SamGuss in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: Dec-02-2008, 00:10
  5. $$$ Conductors $$$
    By Quaverion in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Mar-09-2007, 17:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •