Banner: The symphonic suite Cantabile

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: One Hit Wonders for Orchestra

  1. #31
    Senior Member Ramako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    1,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moody View Post
    Strauss had hundreds of hits with Viennese music and Rossini had many hits with his overtures but also his operas.
    Ma Vlast in not the only popular orchestral piece by Smetana he also wrote good chamber music.
    had hits does not mean they remain hits. These pieces seem to me to be vastly more famous now than anything else they wrote.
    And as for Smetena, I'm not entirely sure about the restrictions to orchestra imposed on this thread.

  2. #32
    Senior Member BurningDesire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,516

    Default

    But why would you wanna arrange "Kung-Fu Fighting" for orchestra?
    science likes this.

  3. #33
    Senior Member moody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4,664

    Default

    No you're wrong Strauss' hits are still as strong as ever. Have you not seen the sold-out concerts for Andre Rieu , have you seen the following throughout the world for the New Year Concert in Vienna ?
    I did stick some pieces in that do not qualiy. But nothing could be much more popular than Smetana's Bartered Bride Overture..
    I think a one-hit wonder is one where nothing else is known.
    Fools talk because they have to say something, wise men talk because they have something to say.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Ramako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    1,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moody View Post
    No you're wrong Strauss' hits are still as strong as ever. Have you not seen the sold-out concerts for Andre Rieu , have you seen the following throughout the world for the New Year Concert in Vienna ?
    I did stick some pieces in that do not qualiy. But nothing could be much more popular than Smetana's Bartered Bride Overture..
    I think a one-hit wonder is one where nothing else is known.
    I'll concede Smetana, having gone out on a limb somewhat out of my comfort zone in mentioning him.

    I would say however that your definition of one-hit wonder, while more valid, is too exclusive. I was working on a "much better known than anything else" sort of presumption. Also working on a level of knowledge below most people here. For example, Rossini is known to most people via the William Tell overture. Strauss wrote other quite well known things, but the Blue Danube is much better known than anything else. It's really a matter of measures.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Clovis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Enescu's Romanian Rhapsody

    Arnaud's Bugler's Dream

  6. #36
    Senior Member drpraetorus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Go to the Classical section of your local CD store, if you can find one, and see what is offered for each composer. For Orff, it would be Carmina Buranna (sorry about the spelling), for Smentana, it would be a compilation CD with The Moldau and the Bartered Bride overture and dances. For Rimsky-Korsakov, it would be Sheherazade. For Bruch, it would be the violin concerto. For Ferde Groffe it would be the Grand Canyon Suite. You can add to the list on your own. The problem is not that these composers only had one good piece, except for Groffe maybe, and calling the Grand Canyon suite "good" is a streatch, but the economics of the music business almost require the sales of the "hits". Record companies do not generaly want to risk money on something that won't sell and they are not really interested in the4 classical side of the business anyway. So, we get the old dependables in the stores and have to search HARD for some of the less known music from even famous composers.

  7. #37
    Senior Member quack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mvmt II. Largo e Spiccato
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    A few One Hit Wonders that you don't know that you know you knew:

    Rosas: Sobre las Olas
    Fučík: Entrance of the Gladiators
    Waldteufel: Les Patineurs

  8. #38
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Arlington, MA
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Suk - Fantastic Scherzo

    He wrote so much more, and that's what I'm exploring now.

  9. #39
    Senior Member Ramako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    1,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drpraetorus View Post
    So, we get the old dependables in the stores and have to search HARD for some of the less known music from even famous composers.
    Yes, although downloading things online must have made things much easier in this regard (I'm a whippersnapper - I don't know ).

    However, it must be said less known works from famous composers are much easier to get than works of comparable quality from less known composers. There must be a fair number of accessible recordings of, for example, Mozart's early symphonies (like the very early ones), and yet there are a lot better (subjective, of course) things by the Bach children, Stamitz, Salieri, Dittersdorf, Vanhal and even less well-known composers that you can barely find, and if you do only a couple of recordings at max, even with downloads.
    Last edited by Ramako; Aug-30-2012 at 22:50.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Crudblud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,537
    Blog Entries
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tankership View Post
    Suk - Fantastic Scherzo

    He wrote so much more, and that's what I'm exploring now.
    I thought Suk's big orchestra piece was Asrael?

  11. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wessex, UK
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Go to the Classical section of your local CD store, if you can find one, and see what is offered for each composer. For Orff, it would be Carmina Buranna (sorry about the spelling), for Smentana, it would be a compilation CD with The Moldau and the Bartered Bride overture and dances. For Rimsky-Korsakov, it would be Scheherazade.....etc
    That's because these are the pieces that will sell. I blame Classic FM for the dumbing down of 'classical' music to a very limited alternative popular music industry. You'll hear 'O Fortuna' from Carmina Burana all day but rarely, if ever, will you hear a single note from any of the remaining 60-odd minutes of that piece. Ditto 'Also Sprach Zarathustra' by Strauss.
    Meanwhile, back on -topic, I'd like to nominate 'Zampa' overture by Herold.

  12. #42
    Senior Member StlukesguildOhio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,045
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Strauss wrote other quite well known things, but the Blue Danube is much better known than anything else. It's really a matter of measures.

    One could say that a great many composers have a single most famous work. Vivaldi will always be known for the Four Seasons and Handel for the Messiah... or rather the Hallelujah chorus from the Messiah. This is far from making them a "one hit wonder." Johann Strauss is far from being a "one hit wonder". I'd say you'd have a better argument for Richard Strauss and his Also Sprach Zarathustra. But even to a public less than well-versed in classical music, Johann Strauss is known for more than the Blue Danube:







    moody likes this.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.

    Art is never chaste. It ought to be forbidden to ignorant innocents, never allowed into contact with
    those not sufficiently prepared. Yes, art is dangerous. Where it is chaste, it is not art.

    Pablo Picasso

  13. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wessex, UK
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Aww, you didn't include 'Tales from Vienna Woods'

    I'd say you'd have a better argument for Richard Strauss and his Also Sprach Zarathustra.
    No argument there whatsoever; Richard Strauss has a varied and considerable repertoire which is often played just as much as ASZ e.g the Alpine Symphony, Four Last Songs, Salome (especially the 'Dance of the Seven Veils'), Der Rosenkavalier, etc. However, as I mentioned above, the opening 'Sunrise' section from ASZ (the '2001 A Space Odyssey' bit) is played far, far more than anything else which is probably why you mention him.

  14. #44
    Senior Member moody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by techniquest View Post
    That's because these are the pieces that will sell. I blame Classic FM for the dumbing down of 'classical' music to a very limited alternative popular music industry. You'll hear 'O Fortuna' from Carmina Burana all day but rarely, if ever, will you hear a single note from any of the remaining 60-odd minutes of that piece. Ditto 'Also Sprach Zarathustra' by Strauss.
    Meanwhile, back on -topic, I'd like to nominate 'Zampa' overture by Herold.
    You shouldn't be listening to Classic FM you'll never grow big and tall if you do.
    Fools talk because they have to say something, wise men talk because they have something to say.

  15. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wessex, UK
    Posts
    540

    Default

    You shouldn't be listening to Classic FM you'll never grow big and tall if you do.
    I don't make a habit of it, but if I'm driving and fancy a blast of 'The Lark Ascending' or 'The Thieving Magpie Overture' (especially if R3 is playing 'jazz') then I only have to switch over
    By the way, at my age I really don't need to get any bigger and taller

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wonders of the Familiar
    By Meaghan in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Nov-23-2011, 05:15
  2. getting job in orchestra
    By h1478971 in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May-14-2011, 01:33
  3. State Symphony Orchestra of Russia (Svetlanov Symphony Orchestra)?
    By iceskate in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Dec-26-2009, 04:19
  4. 4, 5 instruments in orchestra?
    By Schapp in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct-15-2009, 16:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •