Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 231
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: How turned off are you by audience noise such as coughing and "premature" clapping?

  1. #91
    Senior Member Arsakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,711

    Default

    Just imagine the cougher tries not to make a big cough and constantly in every few second, produces small coughs!

  2. #92
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchflorida View Post
    Can you imagine someone clapping after the first movement of a Beethoven Symphony? The old farts in the audience would have a fit . . stare at you mercilessly.
    Hehehe well i guess i'm one of them though.

    Once in the 9th, at the end of the first movement, i was so focused that when people started to clap i almost erupted. Then i understood i'd have to put with this audience in the entire evening.

    The problem was that people didn't know why they were clapping. They clap because there's perhaps some universal law that i'm no familiar with that one always clap whether the concert is good or bad. I think it is instinct. Pavlov would definately explain it.

    The down therm is that we loose absolutely necessary silence after the last note that we need to come down to Earth.
    moody likes this.

  3. #93
    Super Moderator mamascarlatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    5,809

    Default

    Aah, that blessed silence....

    In the case of this, it lasted 40 seconds.

    Natalie

  4. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    315

    Default

    It is contrived not to applaud after a movement in a symphony is over. My understanding is that people used to applaud between each movement until someone made a "rule" that Thou Shalt Not Applaud or do anything until the end of the 4th Movement, in which case you must wait at least 3 seconds of silence , and then you can applaud for no more than 40 seconds.


    Anyone caught applauding first, or being the last one to stop clapping will be ostracized and whipped into submission.
    guythegreg likes this.

  5. #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchflorida View Post
    It is contrived not to applaud after a movement in a symphony is over. My understanding is that people used to applaud between each movement until someone made a "rule" that Thou Shalt Not Applaud or do anything until the end of the 4th Movement, in which case you must wait at least 3 seconds of silence , and then you can applaud for no more than 40 seconds.


    Anyone caught applauding first, or being the last one to stop clapping will be ostracized and whipped into submission.
    Wagner asked once the audience not to clap during Parsifal. Just at the end.

  6. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Here is an interesting article about applauding between movements. Brahams was quite upset when patrons didn't applaud after a movement and wondered if they didn't like the Symphony. Stowkowski started the cult of the conductor that frowned on applause, which impinged on his control and grandiosity.


    http://www.therestisnoise.com/2005/0...se_a_rest.html
    Last edited by mitchflorida; Sep-07-2012 at 01:06.

  7. #97
    Senior Member moody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchflorida View Post
    Here is an interesting article about applauding between movements. Brahams was quite upset when patrons didn't applaud after a movement and wondered if they didn't like the Symphony. Stowkowski started the cult of the conductor that frowned on applause, which impinged on his control and grandiosity.


    http://www.therestisnoise.com/2005/0...se_a_rest.html
    Once audiences used to wander about and chat during concerts , would you like to see that return? I wouldn't be surprised.
    Fools talk because they have to say something, wise men talk because they have something to say.

  8. #98
    Senior Member moody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchflorida View Post
    Here is an interesting article about applauding between movements. Brahams was quite upset when patrons didn't applaud after a movement and wondered if they didn't like the Symphony. Stowkowski started the cult of the conductor that frowned on applause, which impinged on his control and grandiosity.


    http://www.therestisnoise.com/2005/0...se_a_rest.html
    Once audiences used to wander about and chat during performances, would you like to bring that back?
    Also I am quite sure that Stokowski was responsible for no such thing.
    I thought I'd cancelled the above post.
    Last edited by moody; Sep-07-2012 at 01:44.
    Fools talk because they have to say something, wise men talk because they have something to say.

  9. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moody View Post
    Once audiences used to wander about and chat during concerts , would you like to see that return? I wouldn't be surprised.
    Reductio ad absurdum

  10. #100
    Senior Member moody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchflorida View Post
    Reductio ad absurdum
    You just copied that off someone else.
    Fools talk because they have to say something, wise men talk because they have something to say.

  11. #101
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moody View Post
    You just copied that off someone else.
    Hehehehhehehe

    It would be a tremendous schock for us to experience, let's say, an opera in the 18th century. Opera, back then, was as a social place as any bar or disco where we go nowadays. Thus the audience was very different from today's.
    moody likes this.

  12. #102
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    315

    Default

    That's one of the reasons people don't go to Symphonies that much any more. If you need total silence, buy a CD version of a work and listen to it at home. Problem solved. No one clapping or coughing.
    Last edited by mitchflorida; Sep-07-2012 at 14:10.

  13. #103
    Senior Member moody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchflorida View Post
    That's one of the reasons people don't go to Symphonies that much any more. If you need total silence, buy a CD version of a work and listen to it at home. Problem solved. No one clapping or coughing.
    It isn't the reason at all--perhaps it's because of people behaving in the way that you advocate. Do you also cause a rumpus in the cinema and the theatre?
    Fools talk because they have to say something, wise men talk because they have something to say.

  14. #104
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moody View Post
    It isn't the reason at all--perhaps it's because of people behaving in the way that you advocate. Do you also cause a rumpus in the cinema and the theatre?

    Reductio ad absurdum

  15. #105
    Senior Member guythegreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,387
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchflorida View Post
    Here is an interesting article about applauding between movements. Brahams was quite upset when patrons didn't applaud after a movement and wondered if they didn't like the Symphony. Stowkowski started the cult of the conductor that frowned on applause, which impinged on his control and grandiosity.


    http://www.therestisnoise.com/2005/0...se_a_rest.html
    OMG - an article on the HISTORY of APPLAUSE. Now they've gone too far. Floggings all round!

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 69
    Last Post: Jul-18-2012, 07:51
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: May-18-2012, 23:47
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: May-15-2012, 00:32
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr-30-2010, 09:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •