Banner: The symphonic suite Cantabile

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 91
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Top pianists of our time

  1. #16
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    8,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    On the subject of Uchihida.........

    Mitsuko Uchida is unwell. She is being replaced in Berlin on the 24th by Elena Bashkirova, Mrs Barenboim, and (we hear) at the Konzerthaus in Vienna on January 29 by…. Menahem Pressler, who will be 90 in December.
    Any further info on this? A link to a story? TIA!

  2. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaneyes View Post
    .

    I've tried to pay tribute to every pianist (concerti, chamber, solo) in my collection, that is still breathing. I may have missed some. Some may not be active (Pires and Brendel recently retired). Some most assuredly have their best days behind them. Hopefully, none have passed. heh heh

    Of those I've named, the soloists who I feel still have a formidable career ahead of them-- Aimard, Anderszewski, Angelich, Bavouzet, Hamelin, Korobeinikov, Lewis, Melnikov, Mustonen, Sudbin, Tharaud, Xiao-Mei.
    I assume you mean those of the younger generation. I mea, someone like Zimerman still has a formidable career.

    From those pianists I have heard play out of your list I do believe that most of them could hold their heads high with the previous generation. Both in terms of technique and in interpretation. None of them could exactly be described as soulless.

  3. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    I notice that Lang Lang has sold out the Royal Albert Hall London twice.It’s a solo recital of Mozart and Chopin, scheduled for November. Nothing flashy or crossover.
    It went on sale at the end of the year. Five thousand tickets to sell. All gone in two days. So now he’s slotted in a repeat performance.
    It's a solo recital of Mozart and Chopin, scheduled for November. Nothing flashy or crossover.
    It went on sale at the end of the year. Five thousand tickets to sell. All gone in two days. So now he’s slotted in a repeat performance.
    Young pianist with formidable career, I think.

  4. #19
    Senior Member moody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4,664

    Default

    I find it most strange that neither Garrick Ohlsson or Idil Biret get a mention.I would say that Ohlsson could well claim to be the best today. As for Ms.Biret she is a wonder.
    Fools talk because they have to say something, wise men talk because they have something to say.

  5. #20
    Senior Member Ukko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moody View Post
    I find it most strange that neither Garrick Ohlsson or Idil Biret get a mention.I would say that Ohlsson could well claim to be the best today. As for Ms.Biret she is a wonder.
    It seems to me that GO has recorded very little in the 'digital era'. That's important for establishing recognition. I like his Chopin from LP days. Ms. Biret recorded the Beethoven-Liszt Symphonies transcriptions near the end of the LP era; they are 'friggin' awesome'. Some of her work for Naxos is much less so.

    There are several pianists who, even if they don't actually 'specialize' in the works of one or two composers, are stored in the minds of listeners-to-recordings that way. In my mind (shh, let me finish) Hamelin is associated with Alkan, Eugene List with Gottschalk, Darre with St. Saens, and yes, Biret with that Beethoven-Liszt. Now that I'm thinking on it, there are others. Maybe has something to do with what is in my collection, eh?
    Experience teaches you to recognize a mistake when you've made it again.
    - anonymous

  6. #21
    Senior Member Weston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltroll72 View Post
    There are several pianists who, even if they don't actually 'specialize' in the works of one or two composers, are stored in the minds of listeners-to-recordings that way. In my mind (shh, let me finish) Hamelin is associated with Alkan, Eugene List with Gottschalk, Darre with St. Saens, and yes, Biret with that Beethoven-Liszt. Now that I'm thinking on it, there are others. Maybe has something to do with what is in my collection, eh?
    Yes. This is the only thing that kept me from previously mentioning Hamish Milne who seems to be an interpreter of Medtner's excellent piano works, and only Medtner. I'm trying to collect all those late 70's recordings of Medtner piano music on CRD Records. They seem quite good, though I have no other versions for comparison.
    Ukko likes this.

  7. #22
    Senior Member Ukko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston View Post
    Yes. This is the only thing that kept me from previously mentioning Hamish Milne who seems to be an interpreter of Medtner's excellent piano works, and only Medtner. I'm trying to collect all those late 70's recordings of Medtner piano music on CRD Records. They seem quite good, though I have no other versions for comparison.
    That's an excellent example. There are a couple other 'Medtner specialists' - they really aren't that much specialists, but it can seem that way. I like Milne's Medtner. Another example: Leslie Howard and his Liszt.
    Experience teaches you to recognize a mistake when you've made it again.
    - anonymous

  8. #23
    Senior Member kv466's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hialeah, FL
    Posts
    2,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaneyes View Post
    Aimard, Alexeev, Alikhanov, Anderszewski, Angelich, Argerich, Ashkenazy, Ax, Babayan, Bavouzet, Barenboim, Berezovsky, B. Berman, Boffard, Braley, Brendel, Bronfman, Brown, Canino, Ciccolini, Crossley, Demidenko, Devoyon, Douglas, Feltsman, Fingerhut, Fleisher, Freire, Gavrilov, Gelber, Geringas, Goode, Golan, Graffman, Grimaud, Guy, Hamelin, Hegedus, Hough, Janis, Jarret, Joselson, Jumppanen, Kalichstein, Kempf, Kocsis, Korobeinikov, Kovacevich, Lagerspetz, Lane, Laul, Le Sage, Le Van, Levinas, Lewis, Lupu, MacGregor, MacLachlan, Maisenberg, Margalit, Melnikov, Moravec, Mustonen, Oh, Oppens, Orkis, Pappano, Pisarev, Pletnev, Pires, Pogorelich, Pollini, Pontinen, Postnikova, Pressler, Queffelec, Rivers, Rodriguez, Roge, Scherbakov, Schiff, Schlime, P. Serkin, Shelley, I. Schnittke, Sokolov, Sudbin, Sulzen, Tateno, Tchetuev, Tharaud, Thibaudet, Tichman, Tipo, Tomes, Tomsic, Ts'ong, Uchida, Xiao-Mei, Zacharias, Zimerman.

    I've tried to pay tribute to every pianist (concerti, chamber, solo) in my collection, that is still breathing. I may have missed some. Some may not be active (Pires and Brendel recently retired). Some most assuredly have their best days behind them. Hopefully, none have passed. heh heh

    Of those I've named, the soloists who I feel still have a formidable career ahead of them-- Aimard, Anderszewski, Angelich, Bavouzet, Hamelin, Korobeinikov, Lewis, Melnikov, Mustonen, Sudbin, Tharaud, Xiao-Mei.

    What she ^ said! Also, I really like my girl, Valentina.
    Last edited by kv466; Jan-20-2013 at 17:28.

  9. #24
    Senior Member moody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltroll72 View Post
    It seems to me that GO has recorded very little in the 'digital era'. That's important for establishing recognition. I like his Chopin from LP days. Ms. Biret recorded the Beethoven-Liszt Symphonies transcriptions near the end of the LP era; they are 'friggin' awesome'. Some of her work for Naxos is much less so.

    There are several pianists who, even if they don't actually 'specialize' in the works of one or two composers, are stored in the minds of listeners-to-recordings that way. In my mind (shh, let me finish) Hamelin is associated with Alkan, Eugene List with Gottschalk, Darre with St. Saens, and yes, Biret with that Beethoven-Liszt. Now that I'm thinking on it, there are others. Maybe has something to do with what is in my collection, eh?
    Yes,it may well be your collection and your windy-up gramophone.
    Idil Biret : Have you heard her playing Balakirev's "Islamay" ? You can see it on Youtube.
    She studied with Nadia Boulanger,Cortot and Wilhem Kempff. Kempff said of her,"This genius pianist belongs to the highest echelons of contemporary Chopin playing".
    Naxos presented her with a platinum disc for sales of two million.
    Her recording of Chopin's complete works was awarded the 'Grand Prix Du Disque Frederic Chopin' in Poland,the Harriet Cohen/Dinu Lipatti Gold Medal in the UK,plus awards from Australia,France and Italy. She also received the Cavalry (!!) Cross from the Polish president for her contribution to Polish culture.
    On top of the Liszt Beethoven Symphonies transcriptions she has recorded his transcripion of Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique twice, for the Finnadar and Naxos labels---mind blowing!
    Naxos' early Biret recordings included some rather hard efforts but improved after a while. as for performances I have never heard a bad one ,her Rachmaninoff is particularly good.
    She now has her own label , the Idil Biret Archive. Attending her concerts was quite an experience because the whole Turkish population of London would turn up and they were fairly vociferous.

    Garrick Ohlsson.
    His technique is flawless and he is an imposing figure physically and musically.
    He studied at Julliard with Sascha Gorodnitzki, Rosa Lhevinne and Claudio Arrau.
    He won the Busoni prize also the Chopin Competition in Warsaw.
    Between 1988 and 2012 he has made 63 recordings including such diverse stuff as:
    Grieg's piano concerto. Granados ,Goyescas. Rach.Corelli Variations, Mussorgsky Pictures, Prokofiev Sonata No.2. Chopin the complete works, Brahms,Complete Variations, Scriabin,cpte etudes, Beethoven,the sonatas, Bach,Goldberg Variations etc, works by Prokofiev,Bartok and Webern, Haydn, the piano sonatas, Busoni's piano concerto, Debussy , etudes and Suite Bergamasque , von Weber, cpte sonatas.
    Last edited by moody; Jan-20-2013 at 17:49.
    mensch likes this.
    Fools talk because they have to say something, wise men talk because they have something to say.

  10. #25
    Senior Member aleazk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,090
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Aimard is really a great pianist. He not only has an impeccable technique, but also a very good taste, his interpretations are incredibly well polished, nothing superfluous, always well studied and a very smooth touch.
    This is his more recent release, Debussy's Preludes:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHG3MdhUq6I
    Last edited by aleazk; Jan-20-2013 at 22:15.
    Piwikiwi likes this.

  11. #26
    Senior Member Ukko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moody View Post
    [...]
    Garrick Ohlsson.
    His technique is flawless and he is an imposing figure physically and musically.
    He studied at Julliard with Sascha Gorodnitzki, Rosa Lhevinne and Claudio Arrau.
    He won the Busoni prize also the Chopin Competition in Warsaw.
    Between 1988 and 2012 he has made 63 recordings including such diverse stuff as:
    Grieg's piano concerto. Granados ,Goyescas. Rach.Corelli Variations, Mussorgsky Pictures, Prokofiev Sonata No.2. Chopin the complete works, Brahms,Complete Variations, Scriabin,cpte etudes, Beethoven,the sonatas, Bach,Goldberg Variations etc, works by Prokofiev,Bartok and Webern, Haydn, the piano sonatas, Busoni's piano concerto, Debussy , etudes and Suite Bergamasque , von Weber, cpte sonatas.
    Oy. What label(s) for those recordings? I have missed nearly all of them... had the Busoni, sold it, preferring Mewton-Wood and Volker Banfield.
    Experience teaches you to recognize a mistake when you've made it again.
    - anonymous

  12. #27
    Senior Member moody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltroll72 View Post
    Oy. What label(s) for those recordings? I have missed nearly all of them... had the Busoni, sold it, preferring Mewton-Wood and Volker Banfield.
    They are online,you are very lucky to have the Mewton-Wood recording !
    Fools talk because they have to say something, wise men talk because they have something to say.

  13. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moody View Post
    Yes,it may well be your collection and your windy-up gramophone.
    Idil Biret : Have you heard her playing Balakirev's "Islamay" ? You can see it on Youtube.
    She studied with Nadia Boulanger,Cortot and Wilhem Kempff. Kempff said of her,"This genius pianist belongs to the highest echelons of contemporary Chopin playing".
    Naxos presented her with a platinum disc for sales of two million.
    Her recording of Chopin's complete works was awarded the 'Grand Prix Du Disque Frederic Chopin' in Poland,the Harriet Cohen/Dinu Lipatti Gold Medal in the UK,plus awards from Australia,France and Italy. She also received the Cavalry (!!) Cross from the Polish president for her contribution to Polish culture.
    On top of the Liszt Beethoven Symphonies transcriptions she has recorded his transcripion of Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique twice, for the Finnadar and Naxos labels---mind blowing!
    Naxos' early Biret recordings included some rather hard efforts but improved after a while. as for performances I have never heard a bad one ,her Rachmaninoff is particularly good.
    She now has her own label , the Idil Biret Archive. Attending her concerts was quite an experience because the whole Turkish population of London would turn up and they were fairly vociferous.

    Garrick Ohlsson.
    His technique is flawless and he is an imposing figure physically and musically.
    He studied at Julliard with Sascha Gorodnitzki, Rosa Lhevinne and Claudio Arrau.
    He won the Busoni prize also the Chopin Competition in Warsaw.
    Between 1988 and 2012 he has made 63 recordings including such diverse stuff as:
    Grieg's piano concerto. Granados ,Goyescas. Rach.Corelli Variations, Mussorgsky Pictures, Prokofiev Sonata No.2. Chopin the complete works, Brahms,Complete Variations, Scriabin,cpte etudes, Beethoven,the sonatas, Bach,Goldberg Variations etc, works by Prokofiev,Bartok and Webern, Haydn, the piano sonatas, Busoni's piano concerto, Debussy , etudes and Suite Bergamasque , von Weber, cpte sonatas.
    I have not heard Biret. I must confess the last time I heard of Ohlsson play one of the Chopin piano concertos in a TV broadcast I was very disappointed. It all seemed too heavy-handed and lacking in fantasy. Very workaday. I was surprised as he has recorded a lot of Chopin for Hyperion

  14. #29
    Senior Member peeyaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,051
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    I have a soft spot for Paul Lewis and Mitsuko Uchida for championing the music of Franz Schubert on the modern times. They carry the torch that the great Schubertians have; Schnabel, Richter and Brendel. These two great pianists played the last three piano sonatas recently.. How I wish I could hear them live.

    PS: Imogen Cooper is great too.

    Here is Paul Lewis enjoying himself:

    Last edited by peeyaj; Jan-21-2013 at 13:54.
    Kieran, DavidA and julianoq like this.
    Schubert manages that most supreme of feats, to be melancholy without being maudlin, his pain is not a mockery of pain but truly heartfelt, and he manages to pass that though with all of its complexities in his music.

  15. #30
    Senior Member mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    135

    Default

    I concur with Paul Lewis. I saw him recently when he performed three late Schubert sonatas, which was a wonderful concert.

    Hamelin fits the bill as well, both for his technique and his attempts at popularising lesser known composers and obscure works.

    moody mentioned Garrick Ohlsson and he's indeed one of the top pianists. I own his complete Chopin, which is available from Hyperion and it's a great set.

    Aimard has been mentioned as well, a fantastic pianist with an intriguing repertoire. He's one of those artists who freely switches from Ligeti and Boulez to Bach and Beethoven.
    Selby likes this.
    “I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste. ” – Marcel Duchamp

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. For those advanced pianists out there:
    By Romantic Geek in forum Keyboard Instruments
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Oct-22-2014, 14:14
  2. absolute greatest pianists of all time, objective and official list/poll
    By science in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 187
    Last Post: Aug-29-2014, 02:39
  3. Pianists
    By Saturnus in forum Musicians
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Jul-11-2012, 00:08
  4. Great Pianists
    By dafnis in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan-19-2010, 22:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •