Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 220

Thread: Benjamin Britten

  1. #106
    Senior Member DeepR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaneyes View Post
    Maybe you could find the truth about Dr. Wright's and MusicWeb's separation. I suspect that Dr. Wright pulled the plug on all his writings at that site, when they wanted to remove only the "negative" ones. Shame, because those and the many "positive" writings were valuable for online learning. Particularly, the less-known composers.

    I like many of the works of Chopin, Britten, Elgar, and Britten, the four composers you say Dr. Wright crosses the line with. But I do enjoy reading something that adds to commonly held dimensions or perceptions...even though it might stir the pot a little more than some would like.

    Saying something to the contrary about a composer, that's largely supported by evidence? I've read far worse here at TC, supported by nothing. That, my friend peeyaj, is what's commonly defined as a troll. With your snippets of Dr. Wright's writings, you may be confusing his colorful embellishing with history.

    I think Dr. Wright may have it right, when he says, "Some people would rather believe a beautiful lie than an ugly truth."

    I've read some of those essays and they are very questionable to say the least. They are certainly not of academic quality and I wouldn't take them very seriously. His essays, especially the negative ones, are intentionally constructed to support his ridiculous notion that the character of a composer and the way a composer lived, says a lot about the quality of his music.

    Yes, the basic information is supported by facts and proper sources, but all too easily facts are distorted and opinion is presented as fact. Basicly, some facts are simply copied from these sources, while other facts are bended and twisted, even if just a little... an exaggeration here, an unsupported claim there... but all is presented as hard truth. In reality, the sum of what he writes is very chaotic and distorted.
    Last edited by DeepR; Jun-19-2013 at 19:28.

  2. Likes peeyaj, Vaneyes liked this post
  3. #107
    Senior Member Novelette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Careening on the G Clef
    Posts
    1,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This I can say about Benjamin Britten...

    I'm a believer now.

  4. #108
    Senior Member Neo Romanza's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Novelette View Post
    This I can say about Benjamin Britten...

    I'm a believer now.
    This is great to hear, Novelette. He certainly is one of the greatest composers of the 20th Century and one of my personal favorites.
    "Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." - Sergei Rachmaninov

  5. Likes Novelette liked this post
  6. #109
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    13,350
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Novelette View Post
    This I can say about Benjamin Britten...

    I'm a believer now.
    You're a Britten Belieber?


  7. Likes Novelette, Taggart liked this post
  8. #110
    Senior Member Novelette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Careening on the G Clef
    Posts
    1,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    You're a Britten Belieber?
    I cannot, for the life of me, come up with a snappy riposte to that. I feel like a witticism is called for, but I cannot think of it now.

    Britten, yes. "Belieber"... ewwww.


  9. #111
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    KC, Mo.
    Posts
    305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Another VERY strong vote for: SINFORNIA DA REQUIEM. Simply put, an awe-inspiring work. I will also mention; The Symphonic Suite; GLORIANA. Moving and breath-taking.

  10. #112
    Senior Member Vaneyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    12,699
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeepR View Post
    I've read some of those essays and they are very questionable to say the least. They are certainly not of academic quality and I wouldn't take them very seriously. His essays, especially the negative ones, are intentionally constructed to support his ridiculous notion that the character of a composer and the way a composer lived, says a lot about the quality of his music.

    Yes, the basic information is supported by facts and proper sources, but all too easily facts are distorted and opinion is presented as fact. Basicly, some facts are simply copied from these sources, while other facts are bended and twisted, even if just a little... an exaggeration here, an unsupported claim there... but all is presented as hard truth. In reality, the sum of what he writes is very chaotic and distorted.
    Are you denying or ignoring that the "exceedingly controversial" portion of Britten's life existed, or are you just saying you don't like the way Dr. Wright intimated or described parts of it?

    I'd think that with all that's been written in anticipation of and lately for this special Britten year, that you could atleast agree with the sentiment of Michael Kennedy -- "The more one learns of Britten the man, the less one warms to him. But his music — that is something else!"

    IOW understand that there is darkness, but don't judge a man's music by his character or morals.

    I'd like to think that most classical music lovers give that thinking some consideration, otherwise they'll have relatively few composers to listen to. That's not to say these same folk can't, when all's said and done to their satisfaction, choose to embrace or ignore.

    Re Dr. Wright, he seems to be the whipping boy of note--bad writing style, inflammatory. The latter, ironically, not too unlike Britten himself. Bending, twisting facts just a little? Well, do read on....



    Britten's Children -

    http://www.albraithwaite.com/alexand...reviews/04.htm

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britten's_Children

    Britten's Boys -

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-cannot-ignore

    Storm Clouds Gather Over Aldeburgh -

    http://www.overgrownpath.com/2012/11...aldeburgh.html


    Why Are These Artists defending Pedophilia?

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann..._b_372306.html

    The Dark Side of Benjamin Britten -

    http://www.spectator.co.uk/arts/arts...e-great-hater/
    Last edited by Vaneyes; Jun-28-2013 at 00:53.

  11. Likes Mahlerian liked this post
  12. #113
    Senior Member DeepR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    To be clear, my response was about the general impression I got from reading some of mr. Wright's essays. I read those of Chopin, Schubert, Scriabin and some others. I didn't read the one about Britten, nor do I know anything of this composer, but with the help of this topic that can change.

  13. #114
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    13,350
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "Benjamin Britten: THE BITTER WITHY"

    A long and interesting discussion of Britten's music and life (mostly the life). Not all was sweetness and light...

    http://mrsjohnclaggartssadlife.blogs...ter-withy.html


  14. #115
    Senior Member senza sordino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,986
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I bought Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings in the summer, I can't stop listening to it, it's marvelous. Love that horn calling out. I've just finished listening to the violin concerto three times in a row. And later this season, the Vancouver Opera will be performing Albert Herring, I'm looking forward to seeing this.

    I had the chance to play his early work Simple Symphony. It's for strings only, and great to play.

    Britten is one composer I want to get to know more. I need to listen to the War Requiem.

  15. Likes Celloman liked this post
  16. #116
    Senior Member Celloman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza sordino View Post
    I need to listen to the War Requiem.
    Yes you do. I would suggest Britten's own rendition with the London Symphony. Sit down and listen to that thing. And that's an order.

  17. Likes hreichgott, PetrB liked this post
  18. #117
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    13,350
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celloman View Post
    Yes you do. I would suggest Britten's own rendition with the London Symphony. Sit down and listen to that thing. And that's an order.
    And turn the volume up smartly!


  19. Likes hreichgott, PetrB liked this post
  20. #118
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    8,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza sordino View Post
    I bought Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings in the summer, I can't stop listening to it, it's marvelous. Love that horn calling out. I've just finished listening to the violin concerto three times in a row. And later this season, the Vancouver Opera will be performing Albert Herring, I'm looking forward to seeing this.

    I had the chance to play his early work Simple Symphony. It's for strings only, and great to play.

    Britten is one composer I want to get to know more. I need to listen to the War Requiem.
    Must confess I am selective in what I like in Britten's music. Serenade and War Requiem. Plus the Sea Interludes from Grimes and the Cello Symphony.

    Britten's performance of the Requiem still sounds astonishing despite its age.

  21. #119
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    13,350
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    Must confess I am selective in what I like in Britten's music...
    Your taste coincides with mine. But I *do* listen to the Young Person's Guide when I don't think anybody's paying attention.


  22. #120
    Senior Member Couac Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    1,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    Your taste coincides with mine. But I *do* listen to the Young Person's Guide when I don't think anybody's paying attention.
    That's why I watch films like Moonrise Kingdom...nobody knows I'm just listening to the music.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •