Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 134

Thread: Your Favorite Part of Handel's Messiah

  1. #76
    Senior Member TxllxT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Texel
    Posts
    2,152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The very best of the best:







    All we like sheep

  2. Likes Florestan liked this post
  3. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    989
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    At the risk of being sacrilegious, here's "We love sheep", from Not The Messiah



    Not quite as good as the original, but certainly something completely different.

  4. #78
    Junior Member Asterix77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Rotterdam, The Netherland
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think for me that would be the opening synphonia and the "Amen" at the end. And, out of all the great renditions available, I would prefer the one by William Christie and Les Arts Florissant.

  5. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    17,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I love "Rejoice greatly o daughter of Zion" and the final "Amen".
    Last edited by hpowders; Mar-17-2016 at 13:58.

  6. Likes Heliogabo liked this post
  7. #80
    Senior Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    7,297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
    I love "Rejoice greatly o daughter of Zion" and the final "Amen".
    These are two very good parts and Rejoice Greatly will always be at the top of my list, and is a test track for any new Messiah recording I am considering. If the soprano doesn't get that right, forget the rest of that recording.

    As for the Amen. Yes! There is so much focus on the Halajulah chorus, but that has been overplayed to death whereas the Amen chorus (fugue) is phenomenally wonderful and under appreciated.
    The junk merchant doesn't sell his product to the consumer, he sells the consumer to his product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise. He degrades and simplifies the client.

    William S. Burroughs

  8. Likes hpowders liked this post
  9. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    17,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    These are two very good parts and Rejoice Greatly will always be at the top of my list, and is a test track for any new Messiah recording I am considering. If the soprano doesn't get that right, forget the rest of that recording.

    As for the Amen. Yes! There is so much focus on the Halajulah chorus, but that has been overplayed to death whereas the Amen chorus (fugue) is phenomenally wonderful and under appreciated.
    Not only that, but there are two different rhythmic versions of "Rejoice", the standard 4/4 and the triplet version that makes it sound like a waltz. I do not like the triplet one and would never buy a Messiah that includes it.
    Last edited by hpowders; Mar-18-2016 at 00:10.

  10. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    17,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukecash12 View Post
    Yes, I believe you're referring to the fugue at the end, hpowders?
    Yes I am. Glorious, Lukecash12!

  11. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    17,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
    My favorite part happens to be the glorious alleluja at the work's conclusion. Towering!
    Yes. I made a mistake here. It's the final Amen I meant.

  12. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    17,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itullian View Post
    I think you mean the Amen?
    Yes. I just was attempting to see if anyone reads my posts.

  13. #85
    Senior Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    7,297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
    Not only that, but there are two different rhythmic versions of "Rejoice", the standard 4/4 and the triplet version that makes it sound like a waltz. I do not like the triplet one and would never buy a Messiah that includes it.
    The triplet one, perhaps is the one in the Dublin version Messiah:
    Here is the whole Dublin Messiah queued up at Rejoice. Tell me if that is the one you don't like. I like it but would never give up the standard one for it.
    Last edited by Florestan; Mar-18-2016 at 03:35.
    The junk merchant doesn't sell his product to the consumer, he sells the consumer to his product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise. He degrades and simplifies the client.

    William S. Burroughs

  14. Likes hpowders liked this post
  15. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    17,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    The triplet one, perhaps is the one in the Dublin version Messiah:
    Here is the whole Dublin Messiah queued up at Rejoice. Tell me if that is the one you don't like. I like it but would never give up the standard one for it.
    Thanks for that, Floristan! Yes. That's the one. I prefer the 4/4 rhythm. Although I must admit the excerpt is incredibly well-sung and provided goose bumps!
    Last edited by hpowders; Mar-18-2016 at 03:56.

  16. #87
    Senior Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    7,297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
    Thanks for that, Floristan! Yes. That's the one. I prefer the 4/4 rhythm. Although I must admit the excerpt is incredibly well-sung and provided goose bumps!
    Dunedin Consort is excellent!
    The junk merchant doesn't sell his product to the consumer, he sells the consumer to his product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise. He degrades and simplifies the client.

    William S. Burroughs

  17. Likes hpowders liked this post
  18. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    17,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Dunedin Consort is excellent!
    That excerpt was from their Messiah?

  19. #89
    Senior Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    7,297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
    That excerpt was from their Messiah?
    That's what the You Tube poster indicated. I assume it is the one that is out on CD, which I have and like very much.
    The junk merchant doesn't sell his product to the consumer, he sells the consumer to his product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise. He degrades and simplifies the client.

    William S. Burroughs

  20. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    17,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    That's what the You Tube poster indicated. I assume it is the one that is out on CD, which I have and like very much.
    The soprano was astonishingly good.

    Can you imagine attending a performance of Messiah and half the audience gets up to leave after "Rejoice"?
    Last edited by hpowders; Mar-20-2016 at 00:22.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Handel's Messiah
    By Eric in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: Dec-03-2016, 08:37
  2. Handel's Messiah--Dublin Version
    By Florestan in forum Vocal Music
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Dec-08-2014, 18:25
  3. Realised continuo part to Handel's Messiah?
    By Anselm in forum Vocal Music
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Feb-16-2013, 18:51
  4. Favorite Concertos of Handel's Op. 6
    By neoshredder in forum Orchestral Music
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Nov-19-2012, 00:39
  5. Handel's Messiah
    By cl34 in forum News, Concerts and Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Mar-17-2008, 15:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •