Page 5 of 162 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 2428

Thread: The Jazz Hole

  1. #61
    Senior Member (Ret) Alypius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
    Yea, big fan of Kurt... I'll probably pick up a few more because he's that good.

    Edit... Just bought his major label debut - Enemies of Energy. So I'll be jamming on that soon.
    Have you heard his contributions to the Brian Blade Fellowship? In many ways, Rosenwinkel really shapes their sound. Check out :

    Brian Blade Fellowship, Season of Changes (Verve, 2008)



    Speaking of guitar-dominated jazz, two recent favorites:

    Dylan Ryan / Sand, Sky Bleached (Cuneiform, 2013)



    The group here is named after the drummer (as in the case of Brian Blade's group), but the guitarist Timothy Young controls the sound. Nels Cline's bassist, Devon Hoff, contributes well here. Here's a YouTube:




    One other:

    Jeff Parker, Bright Light in Winter (Delmark, 2012)



    Parker was the lead guitarist for the rock group Tortoise, but also kept his hand in jazz, playing with avant-garde sax player Fred Anderson (From the River to the Ocean, 2007, with Hamid Drake on drums on percussion).
    Last edited by Alypius; May-16-2014 at 06:25.

  2. Likes Blake liked this post
  3. #62
    Senior Member cwarchc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    1,164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Excellent album, IMHO
    61GUh7HVLcL._SX450_.jpg

    rather a fan of Monk
    “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”

  4. Likes Alypius, Blake, samurai liked this post
  5. #63
    Senior Member starthrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Snarky Puppy, anyone?

    [YT]v=L_XJ_s5IsQc[/YT]

  6. #64
    Senior Member (Ret) Alypius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Earlier several mentioned Bill Evans. One of my favorite contemporary jazz pianists is Marcin Wasilewski, who leads a piano trio with Slawomir Kurikiewicz on bass and Michal Miskiewicz on drums. They began playing together as teenagers and in the mid-90s began working as the backing band of the great Polish trumpeter, Tomasz Stanko:

    *Soul of Things (ECM, 2002)
    *Suspended Night (ECM, 2004)
    *Lontano (ECM, 2006)

    As a trio, they’ve had three releases on ECM.

    *Trio (ECM, 2005)
    *January (ECM, 2008)
    *Faithful (ECM, 2011)

    Faithful was to my mind the best jazz release of 2011. On first listen, they seem very traditional, but Wasilewski has a profound lyricism and the group has this great telepathic interplay. A few representative tracks: "Night Train to You" (from Faithful); "Soul of Things, Var. 3", (from Soul of Things; "Vignette" (8:08) (from January); and "K.T.C." (from Trio)




    Last edited by Alypius; May-18-2014 at 21:29.

  7. Likes Blake, jim prideaux liked this post
  8. #65
    Senior Member Blake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Alypius, you're making some really great and informative post. Most excellent.

  9. #66
    Senior Member Simon Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    547
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here's some pretty sophisticated stuff from France.

    Forgas Band Phenomena

    Drums, violin, brass, guitar, bass.



  10. Likes Blake liked this post
  11. #67
    Senior Member (Ret) Alypius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
    Alypius, you're making some really great and informative post. Most excellent.
    Glad that you are finding them helpful. More to come.

    My jazz collection is actually larger than my classical -- and it is only in the last 5 years that classical has been getting almost as much of my listening time. I have been following developments in the jazz world pretty avidly for the last 20 years.

  12. Likes Blake liked this post
  13. #68
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bogotá
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxbkUA5BiSw ORNETTE COLEMAN - THE SHAPE OF JAZZ TO COME.

    The album that would latter help to establish free jazz.

  14. Likes Alypius, Blake, cwarchc liked this post
  15. #69
    Senior Member cwarchc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    1,164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Still one of my faves

    41XCE93FDEL.jpg
    “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”

  16. Likes Blake, Alypius, Manxfeeder liked this post
  17. #70
    Senior Member (Ret) Alypius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Let me highlight three recent releases that, in my view, have been some of the best of the last few years:

    Joe Locke / Geoffrey Keezer, Signing (Motema, 2012)



    Joe Locke is one of the finest contemporary vibes players and has been active since the 80s. He has teamed with pianist / keyboard player Geoffrey Keezer on several recordings. Locke has told the very moving story about the origins of this title track, the relationship between his elderly mother and a blind-and-deaf man in a nursing home. Here's an interview with Locke in which he tells the story: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/joe-lock...p#.U3vCo15kjnY Here's that title track:



    Stefon Harris / David Sanchez / Christian Scott, Ninety Miles (Concord Picante, 2011)



    This is a unique joining of three top-flight contemporary American jazz artists (Stefon Harris on vibes, David Sanchez on sax, Christian Scott on trumpet) with an array of Cuban jazz artists. Thus the title "ninety miles," the 90 miles that divides the US and Cuba. A brilliant merging of American and Cuban jazz traditions:



    John Moulder, Eleventh Hour: Live at the Green Mill (Origin, 2012)



    Moulder is a dazzling jazz guitarist (who as his day job works as a priest in the Chicago Catholic Archdiocese). He teaches music at Northwestern and plays principally in Chicago area. This video captures his often blazing style.

    Last edited by Alypius; May-21-2014 at 00:02.

  18. Likes Blake liked this post
  19. #71
    Senior Member jim prideaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    north east england
    Posts
    1,693
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alypius View Post
    Earlier several mentioned Bill Evans. One of my favorite contemporary jazz pianists is Marcin Wasilewski, who leads a piano trio with Slawomir Kurikiewicz on bass and Michal Miskiewicz on drums. They began playing together as teenagers and in the mid-90s began working as the backing band of the great Polish trumpeter, Tomasz Stanko:

    *Soul of Things (ECM, 2002)
    *Suspended Night (ECM, 2004)
    *Lontano (ECM, 2006)

    As a trio, they’ve had three releases on ECM.

    *Trio (ECM, 2005)
    *January (ECM, 2008)
    *Faithful (ECM, 2011)

    Faithful was to my mind the best jazz release of 2011. On first listen, they seem very traditional, but Wasilewski has a profound lyricism and the group has this great telepathic interplay. A few representative tracks: "Night Train to You" (from Faithful); "Soul of Things, Var. 3", (from Soul of Things; "Vignette" (8:08) (from January); and "K.T.C." (from Trio)




    Marcin Wasilewski is the man!-seen them live twice, and I find the sense of lyricism you mention almost overwhelming at times.........recent purchase has been the Jacob Young album Forever Young on ECM,primarily because the Norwegian guitarist has the Wasilewski trio with him....slowly but surely the album is opening up to me and I suspect its a biggy!

    not wishing to be awkward but for anyone new to the Polish maestro try Song for Swirek from Faithful.....

    all the Stanko albums listed are tremendous and personally I find that is largely down to Wasilewski,it is also worth noting that he plays a major part in Manu Katche's Playground and Neighbourhood
    Last edited by jim prideaux; May-21-2014 at 00:33.
    'so where are the strong, who are the trusted and where is the harmony, sweet harmony?'
    (Nick Lowe)

  20. Likes Blake, Alypius liked this post
  21. #72
    Senior Member jim prideaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    north east england
    Posts
    1,693
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vesuvius View Post
    charles lloyd quartet - caroline no.

    anyone who happens to be looking through this thread do yourself a big big favour-watch this-i too came across this on you tube-last summer it was-the intro is stunning!

    LOOKS LIKE I HAVE MADE A MESS OF THIS -JUST GO TO YOU TUBE-CHARLES LLOYD,LIVE VERSION OF CAROLINE NO!
    Last edited by jim prideaux; May-21-2014 at 00:41.
    'so where are the strong, who are the trusted and where is the harmony, sweet harmony?'
    (Nick Lowe)

  22. Likes Blake liked this post
  23. #73
    Senior Member Blake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm digging that Joe Locke you posted, A. Going to check out the rest after I investigate more into Locke. Really enjoy the vibes.
    Last edited by Blake; May-21-2014 at 00:47.

  24. Likes Alypius liked this post
  25. #74
    Senior Member (Ret) Alypius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim prideaux View Post
    Marcin Wasilewski is the man!-seen them live twice, and I find the sense of lyricism you mention almost overwhelming at times.........recent purchase has been the Jacob Young album Forever Young on ECM,primarily because the Norwegian guitarist has the Wasilewski trio with him....slowly but surely the album is opening up to me and I suspect its a biggy!

    not wishing to be awkward but for anyone new to the Polish maestro try Song for Swirek from Faithful.....

    all the Stanko albums listed are tremendous and personally I find that is largely down to Wasilewski,it is also worth noting that he plays a major part in Manu Katche's Playground and Neighbourhood
    Jim, It's great to find someone else who knows Wasilewski's work. I agree about his sense of lyricism (and also about the excellence of "Song for Swirek"). I bought Manu Katche's Neighborhood precisely because of Wasilewski's contribution. But I haven't heard Playground. I'll have to check that out. Jacob Young's Forever Young is not yet available in the U.S. June 17th is listed as the release date. Thanks for the heads up on it.

    Last edited by Alypius; May-21-2014 at 00:56.

  26. Likes Blake, jim prideaux liked this post
  27. #75
    Senior Member Blake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    More on the vibes...

    Gary Burton - Jackalope.


  28. Likes Alypius liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Art Tatum: great jazz pianist or greatest jazz pianist?
    By regressivetransphobe in forum Non-Classical Music
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: May-01-2015, 20:21
  2. Chamber Music Black Hole - c.1800s - 1830/40s
    By elgars ghost in forum Solo & Chamber Music
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Feb-09-2014, 14:04
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul-11-2012, 01:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •