Banner: The Hope for brass band, organ, choir, and percussion

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Some pleasant instruments not common in modern times

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Some pleasant instruments not common in modern times

    Hello. What are some of your favorite instruments (you don't have to know how to play them) that were used more so in other periods but are typically not present in most modern orchestras. Mine would be a Harpsichord and the Lautenwerck, used primarily in the Baroque era of music, am I correct in that, aren't I? What would be yours?

  2. Likes clockworkmurderer liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd say Viole D' Amore and Baryton, Musette is nice as well.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Ukko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Looks like you are not really focused on orchestral instruments - they need to be heard in the ensemble. Take a look at what happened to orchestral strings at the end of the Baroque era.
    I spent a fortune on deodorant before I realized that people don't like me anyway.

  5. #4
    Senior Member Antiquarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Transoceanic
    Posts
    543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The clavichord, with its very soft tone, is a favourite. (I know not exactly orchestral) I like the viola d' amore, along with the viola bastarda that is seldom used today. But for orchestral works, many of the works written for certain obsolete instruments (an example here is Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream which used an ophicleide that in modern orchestras has been supplanted by the tuba) have been much improved by using modern equivalents. True, they are not HIP for the purists.
    Last edited by Antiquarian; Jun-03-2016 at 01:37.

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As far as obscure instruments go, I like the hurdy gurdy, the ondes Martenot, and the waterphone...

  7. #6
    Senior Member elgars ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Worcestershire, England
    Posts
    5,772
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Paul Hindemith wrote a chamber concerto for the viola d'amore in the late 1920s as part of his Kammermusik series as well as a 'little sonata' for viola d'amore and piano earlier in the decade - there have been a few works written specifically for the instrument since then but I can't say I've heard any of them.
    Last edited by elgars ghost; Jun-29-2016 at 23:23.
    '...a violator of his word, a libertine over head and ears in debt and disgrace, a despiser of domestic ties, the companion of gamblers and demireps, a man who has just closed half a century without a single claim on the gratitude of his country or the respect of posterity...' - Leigh Hunt on the Prince Regent (later George IV).

  8. Likes Antiquarian liked this post
  9. #7
    Senior Member TalkingHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've always been rather fond of the pink oboe. Sadly, it's use has become quite trivialized in modern times.

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    10,371
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like cornets. They almost sound like a trumpet with a head cold, but they blend very well with singers.

  11. Likes Pugg, Poodle liked this post
  12. #9
    Senior Member Antiquarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Transoceanic
    Posts
    543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elgars ghost View Post
    Paul Hindemith wrote a chamber concerto for the viola d'amore in the late 1920s as part of his Kammermusik series as well as a 'little sonata' for viola d'amore and piano earlier in the decade - there have been a few works written specifically for the instrument since then but I can't say I've heard any of them.
    Thanks for this. I think I will dig out my old cpo recordings of Hindemith's Kammermusik, along with his Konzertmusik, and give them a listen. It's been ages.
    Imagination cannot make fools wise; but she can make them happy, to the envy of reason, who can only make her friends miserable. -Pascal

    When the grass is greener on the other side, more often than not it is just Astro-Turf. - Anon.

  13. Likes elgars ghost liked this post
  14. #10
    Senior Member Poodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manxfeeder View Post
    I like cornets. They almost sound like a trumpet with a head cold, but they blend very well with singers.
    I second this

  15. #11
    Senior Member Pugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    36,169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The glass harmonica
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  16. Likes Balthazar liked this post
  17. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would say the Oboe d'amore, the wooden version of the Oboe from the Baroque era, has a nice mellow sound to it.

  18. #13
    Senior Member Pugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    36,169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamieHoldham View Post
    I would say the Oboe d'amore, the wooden version of the Oboe from the Baroque era, has a nice mellow sound to it.
    You are a romantic Jamie.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  19. #14
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antiquarian View Post
    The clavichord, with its very soft tone, is a favourite. (I know not exactly orchestral) I like the viola d' amore, along with the viola bastarda that is seldom used today. But for orchestral works, many of the works written for certain obsolete instruments (an example here is Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream which used an ophicleide that in modern orchestras has been supplanted by the tuba) have been much improved by using modern equivalents. True, they are not HIP for the purists.
    Seconded

Similar Threads

  1. You vote: Period instruments vs Modern instruments
    By PrimoUomo in forum Classical Music Discussion Polls
    Replies: 176
    Last Post: May-17-2017, 06:11
  2. Have Classical Music Become More Of A Commodity In Modern Times?
    By ArtMusic in forum Classical Music Discussion Polls
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: Mar-12-2014, 01:26
  3. Serialism in modern times?
    By sonnenuntergangstunde in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Nov-14-2013, 19:22
  4. College Tuition: Biggest Rip Off In Modern Times???
    By starthrower in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: Apr-21-2012, 02:12
  5. Corelli Concerto Grossi: Period instruments or modern instruments?
    By clavichorder in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Sep-30-2011, 04:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •