Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51

Thread: Verdi's Requiem - best performance/recording?

  1. #16
    Senior Member shadowdancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    São Paulo / Brasil
    Posts
    451
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As already pointed out, I would like to echo the Toscanini recommendation. If for nothing else, at least for cultural purpose.
    Another personal favorite is:
    Rec 1967
    Sir Georg Solti & Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
    Note: together also with a very young and strong Pavarotti
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." Friedrich Nietzsche
    一期一会

  2. Likes Pugg, Traverso, Granate liked this post
  3. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    18,009
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Robert Shaw performance is very good. One should also listen to any Toscanini performance available.

  4. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Interesting oddball version?

    I just ordered this one - hasn't yet arrived. 1961 radio performance with a strong customer review on Amazon, and with Nicolai Gedda doing the tenor part and a conductor I absolutely adore - but with no idea how he handled this music! I look forward to hearing this in about ten days....

    51HL-hDq3yL.jpg

  5. #19
    Senior Member amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,917
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CVM View Post
    I just ordered this one - hasn't yet arrived. 1961 radio performance with a strong customer review on Amazon, and with Nicolai Gedda doing the tenor part and a conductor I absolutely adore - but with no idea how he handled this music! I look forward to hearing this in about ten days....

    51HL-hDq3yL.jpg
    From what I hear, that Christa Ludwig may amount to something, too.
    Alan

  6. Likes CVM liked this post
  7. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Weird! Yes, you're right, and I had her name typed in the message but somehow edited it out while correcting my notoriously abysmal typing. Too busy getting the hang of posting photos, to pay attention to my text! Sorry, and thanks!

  8. Likes amfortas liked this post
  9. #21
    Senior Member Pugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    30,001
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CVM View Post
    I just ordered this one - hasn't yet arrived. 1961 radio performance with a strong customer review on Amazon, and with Nicolai Gedda doing the tenor part and a conductor I absolutely adore - but with no idea how he handled this music! I look forward to hearing this in about ten days....

    51HL-hDq3yL.jpg
    A pinch of salt on Amazon reviewers is necessary.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  10. #22
    Junior Member Canaeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I always liked the Riccardo Muti recording from 1990, performed by Luciano Pavarotti, Cheryl Studer, Dolora Zajick, Samuel Ramey, with the Coro Del Teatro Alla Scala, Milano.

  11. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    18,009
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you want to hear the greatest performances of the Verdi Requiem, listen to the Toscanini performances.

    The sound isn't the greatest on any of them, but the intensity and inspiration shine through!

  12. Likes Bettina, Vaneyes liked this post
  13. #24
    Senior Member Pugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    30,001
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canaeus View Post
    I always liked the Riccardo Muti recording from 1990, performed by Luciano Pavarotti, Cheryl Studer, Dolora Zajick, Samuel Ramey, with the Coro Del Teatro Alla Scala, Milano.
    His first recording : Scotto/ Baltsa, et all, is much better in my humble opinion.
    Great sound also.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  14. #25
    Senior Member Barelytenor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    A better, purer place.
    Posts
    469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugg View Post
    My two absolute favourites are:

    Verdi:Requiem
    Leontyne Price (soprano), Rosalind Elias (mezzo-soprano), Jussi Björling (tenor), Giorgio Tozzi (bass)
    Wiener Philharmoniker, Singverein der Gesellscaft der Musikfreunde, Wien, Fritz Reiner on Decca:
    This!!!!!!!



    Kind regards,

    George

  15. #26
    Senior Member Barelytenor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    A better, purer place.
    Posts
    469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
    The Robert Shaw performance is very good. One should also listen to any Toscanini performance available.
    I have four editions of the Verdi Requiem but one of them is with the Robert Shaw Chorale and Toscanini conducting, with soloists Herva Nelli (sop), Fedora Barbieri (alt), Giuseppe di Stefano (tenor), and Cesare Siepi (bass). Wonderful interpretation (not great sound), but my overwhelming favorite is the Leontyne Price-Rosalind Elias-Jussi Bjoerling-Giorgio Tozzi recording with Fritz Reiner and the Vienna Philharmonic.



    Kind regards,

    George

  16. #27
    Senior Member Pugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    30,001
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barelytenor View Post
    I have four editions of the Verdi Requiem but one of them is with the Robert Shaw Chorale and Toscanini conducting, with soloists Herva Nelli (sop), Fedora Barbieri (alt), Giuseppe di Stefano (tenor), and Cesare Siepi (bass). Wonderful interpretation (not great sound), but my overwhelming favorite is the Leontyne Price-Rosalind Elias-Jussi Bjoerling-Giorgio Tozzi recording with Fritz Reiner and the Vienna Philharmonic.



    Kind regards,

    George
    This is such good reading George!
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  17. Likes Barelytenor liked this post
  18. #28
    Senior Member Barelytenor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    A better, purer place.
    Posts
    469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugg View Post
    This is such good reading George!
    Oh well we both get to the same place, you just got there first. If I were a better reader I would have been a better writer too!

    Congratulations on your Excellent taste!



    Kind regards,

    George

  19. Likes Pugg liked this post
  20. #29
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
    If you want to hear the greatest performances of the Verdi Requiem, listen to the Toscanini performances.

    The sound isn't the greatest on any of them, but the intensity and inspiration shine through!
    I agree. They have great historical value as Toscanini knew Verdi and played under him. However, the sonics are very limited.

  21. #30
    Senior Member Vaneyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,969
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Toscanini is crazy good (1.21.51). He shouts! ha ha

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDbMzp86tOc

    For more "normal" listening (rec.1984)...


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Brahms Requiem - best recording
    By Charlie Mac in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jan-02-2016, 17:30
  2. Verdi's requiem
    By SCHLEMO in forum Vocal Music
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Dec-01-2015, 18:05
  3. which Verdi Requiem?
    By science in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Nov-05-2014, 12:05
  4. 2011 BBC proms Verdi's requiem for sale anywhere?
    By wijnands in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Mar-26-2012, 11:35
  5. Can you identify this recording of Mozart's Requiem?
    By Philip in forum Solved Cases (archive)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar-07-2012, 07:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •