Banner: The Hope for brass band, organ, choir, and percussion

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 69

Thread: Favorite Cecilia Bartoli Recordings

  1. #16
    Senior Member Metairie Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Posts
    255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I love Bartoli (for more reasons than I'm prepared to go into right now). So consider me a Bartoli partisan.

    Does she have limitations? perhaps, I'm not expert enough (thank God) to know; She sounds sweet to my ears.

    My current Bartoli favorites: St. Petersburg, Arie Antiche and the DVD of Paisiello's 'Nina, o sia La pazza per amore' (With the added bonus of Jonas Kaufmann accompanied by bagpipes!!). Bartoli has certainly found a home in the eighteeth century - which is fine by me, it's where I live most of the time anyway.

    This is for Bartoli fans. The rest of you can go jump in the lake.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxgY9NvVW9U

    Best wishes
    Metairie Road
    Last edited by Metairie Road; Jan-18-2017 at 15:44.

  2. Likes Fritz Kobus, Heliogabo, Jermaine and 4 others liked this post
  3. #17
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    8,237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Metairie Road: You absolutely must get this one. Every singer on this is remarkably good. They transposed three parts down for Cecilia and her part is wonderful. This is one of the best Sonnambula sets I have ever heard.


    Two of the Sonnambula tracks occur on this wonderful celebration-mezzo-voice-memorey-of-Maria-Milbran set, which is quite wonderful also.


    I totally missed checking out Arie Antiche. Thanks for posting it. I am now listening to clips to see if I want to buy a copy. I try not to buy arias sets but with Bartoli, that is where the gold is, since she did not record that many complete operas, and only a couple in Baroque.

    Yes! The NINA DVD is wonderful! I love how well she can act crazy and there are scenes in that DVD that are spooky. The whole thing is on You Tube, but I am glad to have purchased the DVD so I have the subtitles.

    Back to Sonnambula: According to Wikipedia,

    The majority of twentieth-century recordings [of La Sonnambula] have been made with a soprano cast as Amina, usually with added top-notes and other changes according to tradition, although it was released in soprano sfogato voice (not be confused with the modern mezzo, nonexistent at the time) who sang soprano and contralto roles unmodified.
    Last edited by Fritz Kobus; Jan-18-2017 at 18:56.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  4. Likes Metairie Road, Jermaine, Scopitone liked this post
  5. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh dear a Bartoli thread. I've been waiting. Yes! I love everything she does. She's beyond excellent. I love all her records. I won't list some of the obvious ones which are already in this thread. Does anyone like St. Petersburg?





    Last edited by Jermaine; Mar-17-2017 at 13:31.

  6. Likes Fritz Kobus, Bix liked this post
  7. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Metairie Road: You absolutely must get this one. Every singer on this is remarkably good. They transposed three parts down for Cecilia and her part is wonderful. This is one of the best Sonnambula sets I have ever heard.


    Two of the Sonnambula tracks occur on this wonderful celebration-mezzo-voice-memorey-of-Maria-Milbran set, which is quite wonderful also.


    I totally missed checking out Arie Antiche. Thanks for posting it. I am now listening to clips to see if I want to buy a copy. I try not to buy arias sets but with Bartoli, that is where the gold is, since she did not record that many complete operas, and only a couple in Baroque.

    Yes! The NINA DVD is wonderful! I love how well she can act crazy and there are scenes in that DVD that are spooky. The whole thing is on You Tube, but I am glad to have purchased the DVD so I have the subtitles.

    Back to Sonnambula: According to Wikipedia,
    What are your thoughts on Infelice? It's my favorite aria from the record.


  8. Likes Fritz Kobus liked this post
  9. #20
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    8,237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine View Post
    [center]What are your thoughts on Infelice? It's my favorite aria from the record.
    That is a wonderful piece and I love the violin part too. Also I like the St. Petersburg album and have signed it out of the library a couple of times now.

    My most recent acquisition, and a very good one:

    Last edited by Fritz Kobus; Mar-17-2017 at 19:01.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  10. #21
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    8,237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I also have had this one out from the library a couple times:
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  11. Likes Reichstag aus LICHT liked this post
  12. #22
    Senior Member Bellinilover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Hands down, her "Mozart Portraits" CD is my absolute favorite. I feel it's one of the greatest solo CDs I've heard from an opera singer.

  13. Likes Fritz Kobus, Jermaine liked this post
  14. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    That is a wonderful piece and I love the violin part too. Also I like the St. Petersburg album and have signed it out of the library a couple of times now.

    My most recent acquisition, and a very good one:

    Yes. Her performance is astute. I have heard all the other versions on Youtube and they all lack the intensity and passion of Bartoli's version. Against popular opinion, I also love her Casta Diva, even though I think the one from the Opera is better than the version on Maria.

    I have not heard the Gluck Italian Arias. I will check it out on Spotify tonight.

  15. Likes Fritz Kobus liked this post
  16. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    I also have had this one out from the library a couple times:


    How can you not love her? If you haven't seen the documentary, I highly recommend it. It's on Youtube in French. Also the recording of Maria is on Youtube.

    Also I saw you mentioned Opera Probitia. Great collection, especially Un Pensiero Nemico di Pace.

  17. Likes Fritz Kobus liked this post
  18. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    @Bellinilover, I think her Exsultate Jubilate version is pure excellence.

    Have you guys heard that she's doing a new record this year? I wonder what she will explore. I have been saving to visit Europe so I can finally see her in action. Hopefully next year.

    Anyways, I love, love, love Viva Vivaldi recording and The Vivaldi record is among her best in my opinion.



  19. Likes Bellinilover liked this post
  20. #26
    Senior Member Pugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    34,336
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine View Post
    @Bellinilover, I think her Exsultate Jubilate version is pure excellence.

    Have you guys heard that she's doing a new record this year? I wonder what she will explore. I have been saving to visit Europe so I can finally see her in action. Hopefully next year.

    Anyways, I love, love, love Viva Vivaldi recording and The Vivaldi record is among her best in my opinion.

    So you missed Amsterdam last month, Cenerentola.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  21. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default




    I am so glad I decided to listen to the Gluck Arias. Wow. I have no words.
    I have this Aria on repeat.



    No words. I am weeping.
    Last edited by Jermaine; Mar-19-2017 at 02:42.

  22. Likes Fritz Kobus, CypressWillow liked this post
  23. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellinilover View Post
    Hands down, her "Mozart Portraits" CD is my absolute favorite. I feel it's one of the greatest solo CDs I've heard from an opera singer.
    It is a wonderful CD, and in those days she was an absolutely wonderful all-round singer with a voice to die for. It saddens me that as time has passed she's turned into something of a show pony and indulged herself exploring byways of the repertoire with, all too often, little to commend them besides mere novelty.

    If you don't know it already, try her French recital "Chant d'Amour". I've never been French music's biggest fan, but on that CD she's in the best voice I've ever heard from her and the repertoire is right down her allée.

  24. Likes hpowders, Fritz Kobus, Scopitone liked this post
  25. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Okay. This Gluck CD is a masterpiece. I've had it on loop since Friday.

    Last edited by Jermaine; Mar-19-2017 at 22:32.

  26. Likes Scopitone liked this post
  27. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I saw Cecilia three times in concert in the early part of her career. Rossini remains her most effective work for me. I find documentaries from those days, including words from the late Decca producer Christopher Raeburn, most enjoyable.

  28. Likes Heliogabo, Bix liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jaroussky verses Bartoli, Which do you prefer?
    By Morganist in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Sep-12-2017, 09:24
  2. Cecilia Bartoli - What vocal range is she?
    By soundoftritones in forum Vocal Music
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: Jan-19-2017, 06:41
  3. Who the hell designs Cecilia Bartoli's album covers?
    By Hausmusik in forum Vocal Music
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Dec-12-2016, 08:13
  4. Favorite Scriabin Preludes, favorite recordings
    By clavichorder in forum Solo & Chamber Music
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Nov-23-2013, 08:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •