Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 604
Like Tree411Likes

Thread: What are you working on right now.

  1. #271
    Senior Member Sofronitsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Bach has been has been good to me, but it's time to move on. Not move on from Bach entirely, just shifting the main focus!

    I have a bit of a problem with raw exposure and I tend to have trouble with subtle fortes and other dynamics, so for the next month or two I'm going to study the K. 332/300k Mozart Sonata. So far the work is very rewarding and I'm excited to learn to interpret such a sneaky composer..

    I'm having trouble deciding a piece to study after the Mozart, but I'm thinking of one of the harder Liszt works, the Copland Passacaglia, Scriabin's 2nd or 5th Sonata (Probably not the 5th, too difficult!), or maybe a more modern piece from Liebermann or another composer. Could anyone help me choose ?

  2. #272
    Senior Member Il_Penseroso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Persia
    Posts
    1,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sofronitsky View Post
    Bach has been has been good to me, but it's time to move on. Not move on from Bach entirely, just shifting the main focus!

    I have a bit of a problem with raw exposure and I tend to have trouble with subtle fortes and other dynamics, so for the next month or two I'm going to study the K. 332/300k Mozart Sonata. So far the work is very rewarding and I'm excited to learn to interpret such a sneaky composer..

    I'm having trouble deciding a piece to study after the Mozart, but I'm thinking of one of the harder Liszt works, the Copland Passacaglia, Scriabin's 2nd or 5th Sonata (Probably not the 5th, too difficult!), or maybe a more modern piece from Liebermann or another composer. Could anyone help me choose ?
    I think Mozart is not easy at all, and often deserves a long time of practicing both musically and technically rather than expected... so, which work by Liszt ?
    If i were God, how infinitely I should pity the hearts of men! (from Pelléas et Mélisande)

  3. #273
    Senior Member Sofronitsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il_Penseroso View Post
    I think Mozart is not easy at all, and often deserves a long time of practicing both musically and technically rather than expected... so, which work by Liszt ?
    I didn't mean to give the impression that I didn't think that way! I am terrified by Mozart, and like I said his works stress most highly the technical skills which I am weakest in.

    For Liszt.. I'm having a hard time deciding. I love the Hungarian Rhapsody no. 11 and would like to play it. I also think the 'Illustration De L'Africain No. 1' (I hope that's right) is a powerful piece that gets almost no attention. I love the majority of the Transcendental Etudes... but I think I might be gearing more towards the Copland/Scriabin/Liebermann Triumvirate. What would you study in my place? Anything really it doesn't have to be something I listed!
    Lisztian likes this.

  4. #274
    Senior Member Il_Penseroso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Persia
    Posts
    1,015

    Default

    That's right, Illustrations de l'opéra L'Africaine...

    Ok, here a list of works I could suggest in this case :

    Schumann: Piano Studies after Paganini Caprices (No.1 from Op.3)
    note: less known than Liszt's, but in some cases even better ...

    Schumann: In der Nacht from Op.12 (Fantasiestücke)


    Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody No.7
    Liszt: Waldesrauschen (from 2 Concert Studies)
    Liszt: Mephisto Waltz No.1

    from his trascriptions Polonaise from Eugene Onegin and Isoldes Liebestod

    ***

    Balakirev: Toccata (1902, really electrifying !)

    ***

    Debussy: Prelude Ce qu'a vu le vent d'Ouest from book I (electrifying too !)

    Macdowell: Sonata No.3 (Norse)

    Severac: Le retour des muletiers from Cerdana (special for your large hands !)

    and if you're into spanish piano music, then give Albeniz Triana (from Iberia) a try ...


    P.S. Can't help with Scriabin sonatas, I know only his shorter pieces plus the beautiful piano concerto.
    Last edited by Il_Penseroso; Mar-22-2012 at 06:41.
    If i were God, how infinitely I should pity the hearts of men! (from Pelléas et Mélisande)

  5. #275
    Senior Member Lisztian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sofronitsky View Post
    I didn't mean to give the impression that I didn't think that way! I am terrified by Mozart, and like I said his works stress most highly the technical skills which I am weakest in.

    For Liszt.. I'm having a hard time deciding. I love the Hungarian Rhapsody no. 11 and would like to play it. I also think the 'Illustration De L'Africain No. 1' (I hope that's right) is a powerful piece that gets almost no attention. I love the majority of the Transcendental Etudes... but I think I might be gearing more towards the Copland/Scriabin/Liebermann Triumvirate. What would you study in my place? Anything really it doesn't have to be something I listed!
    In choosing a piece by Liszt, I am very pleased to hear you list the Illustration De L'Africaine No. 1 - a powerful piece indeed!

    Some more pieces to look into would be the second Mephisto Waltz (almost never played compared to the 1st, but arguably just as good) the brilliant 8th Hungarian Rhapsody, and if you feel you're up to it, the daredevil Reminiscences de Robert le Diable, Valse Infernale.
    Last edited by Lisztian; Mar-22-2012 at 08:19.

  6. #276
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Beethoven: all three sets of Bagatelles
    Schubert: D major sonata D 850
    Tsontakis: Ghost Variations

    I am not holding my breath...

  7. #277
    Senior Member Lukecash12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,050

    Default

    For the first time in a while, I'm not working on much of anything. Just keeping up with my repertoire. Mainly, I'm reading some primary sources on Roman history, for example Caesar's accounts of his war with the Gauls. Less time to listen to and play music, because of my studies.
    "Your mathematics are correct, but your physics are abominable..." Einstein

  8. #278
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    France
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Bach, two part Inventions : I'm still (and will still be, because there's so much depth in this music) on the first (began it in January) and finished learning the two hand together. Two voice polyphony is getting easier, and my head as well as my hands are getting used to the keyboard. I plan on doing at least 2 other Inventions, with at least one which is fast (F major or A minor or D minor). Then I'll try to move to three voice polyphony, but not necessarily Bach - there must be some three part pieces from the Renaissance.
    I stopped working on Mikrokosmos volume III. I think I'll do another piece (at the end of the book) and then go to the fourth volume.


    Today I'm just working again on the first because I want to play it to my hopefully future piano teacher - I don't have one right now. I hope I'll be able to get lessons and I also hope she'll help me to get to the level I want faster (I want/need to be really comfortable sight reading, to be able to work on P&F from the Well Tempered Clavier, or Haydn sonatas, or such. Intermediate level in other words. All this before September if possible haha).

    I'm so enthusiastic. When I'll be able to play guitar as well as I want, to be reasonably competent at the keyboard... [I'll tackle conducting], I'll be able to have so much great music under my fingers and in my head (even without being a virtuoso pianist, that's what's great with the piano repertoire) !
    clavichorder likes this.

  9. #279
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    ENG
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Bach Partita in E minor movement 4

  10. #280
    Senior Member Meaghan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR (US)
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Sofronitsky, have you settled on rep yet? You should do the Copland Passacaglia! Because 1. passacaglias are awesome and 2. that passacaglia is particularly awesome and 3. people need to perform more of Copland's non-nationalist stuff so the world doesn't forget he wrote other music too.

    I am in a piano drought right now, because I've gone from having very easy access to pianos at school and at home to this situation here in Philly where I have to walk two miles to get to a piano I'm allowed to play and I can rarely get there before they close since I'm working. I was complaining about this to my cousins last night and my cousin's husband offered to let me borrow his keyboard. So now there is a keyboard in my room. It is not a weighted keyboard and does not feel like a piano, which will take some getting used to, but at least it has a sustain pedal. You take what you can get. I'm working on the second movement of Beethoven's Op. 2 No. 3 sonata and the G major fugue from volume 2 of the WTC - my first fugue! And I am working on learning guitar and progressing quickly. I have my clarinet here as well, but don't play it often. It is my ensemble instrument, and I seldom feel like practicing it when I'm not going to be playing with other people.

  11. #281
    Senior Member Sofronitsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Thanks for all the interesting suggestions! I'm probably going to go with the Copland.. just because that piece deserves to be performed more often.

    Also, unless the Mephistopheles Waltzes' difficulty is greatly exaggerated, I don't think I'll be playing those any time soon!
    Meaghan likes this.

  12. #282
    Senior Member Lisztian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sofronitsky View Post
    Thanks for all the interesting suggestions! I'm probably going to go with the Copland.. just because that piece deserves to be performed more often.

    Also, unless the Mephistopheles Waltzes' difficulty is greatly exaggerated, I don't think I'll be playing those any time soon!
    I'm not quite sure by how much, but I would say they are. Liszt is probably the most pianistic composer ever - he simply knew how to write for the instrument. Now there are some sections that are immensely difficult - like those leaps in the right hand near the end of the first waltz - but Liszt, while very difficult, is often a fair bit easier to play than he sounds/looks.

  13. #283
    Senior Member Yoshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Mushroom Kingdom
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Rachmaninov prelude op. 3 no. 2
    It's taking me forever to read that...
    And now for something completely different.

  14. #284
    Senior Member Sofronitsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    Rachmaninov prelude op. 3 no. 2
    It's taking me forever to read that...
    My advice to you would be to keep at it, and sight read constantly. Go to your local music store and (if you have some money for music)find a compilation of easy classical or other type of piano music. Alfred has some good ones. I did that when I was developing my reading. It worked very well for me, and I was studying that same piece around that time!

    Cheers and happy practicing
    Yoshi and Klavierspieler like this.

  15. #285
    Senior Member Rasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    And it's off. Recital the 26th of june. Brahms, Chopin, Poulenc, three months, nothing else to do.
    I can't play Debussy étude

Similar Threads

  1. Was classical music ever popular music?
    By Edward Elgar in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: Jan-16-2010, 05:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •