Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Exton label

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Exton label

    Has anyone bought an extensive collection of Exton CDs? This label has been extremely busy for the last few years releasing mostly standard repertoire symphonies by well known if not really famous conductors. I have heard a number of them on NML and they are generally quite impressive both sonically and performance wise. So far I have heard only one performance that I would call benchmark and that was the Mahler 5th with the Czech Philharmonic conducted by Eliahu Inbal. Inbal is a veteran Mahler conductor and has recorded the symphony twice for Exton. The recording I heard was splendid and the playing by the legendary Czech orchestra was close to perfection. Any Exton fanciers here?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    River Forest, Il, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,215
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesaro View Post
    Has anyone bought an extensive collection of Exton CDs? This label has been extremely busy for the last few years releasing mostly standard repertoire symphonies by well known if not really famous conductors. I have heard a number of them on NML and they are generally quite impressive both sonically and performance wise. So far I have heard only one performance that I would call benchmark and that was the Mahler 5th with the Czech Philharmonic conducted by Eliahu Inbal. Inbal is a veteran Mahler conductor and has recorded the symphony twice for Exton. The recording I heard was splendid and the playing by the legendary Czech orchestra was close to perfection. Any Exton fanciers here?
    My understanding is that exton is primarily a label that targets audiophiles in the far East

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Triplets,

    I think you are correct. However, if you are willing to go the download route, Play-Google has many of them at 4 and 5 dollars, a few even less. Amazon, on the other hand, sells most of them at regular price or higher.

  4. Likes Granate liked this post
  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    River Forest, Il, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,215
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesaro View Post
    Triplets,

    I think you are correct. However, if you are willing to go the download route, Play-Google has many of them at 4 and 5 dollars, a few even less. Amazon, on the other hand, sells most of them at regular price or higher.
    Good to know! Unfortunately I don't know what Play-Google is

  6. #5
    Senior Member Pugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    33,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triplets View Post
    Good to know! Unfortunately I don't know what Play-Google is
    https://www.vinden.nl/ws?q=google%20...=g&de=c&ap=1t2
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  7. #6
    Senior Member Merl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Got quite a bit of Exton stuff on download. The Mahler symphonies with Honeck at the helm are superb. Albrecht and Asahina's Beethoven symphony cycles sound very impressive too.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    River Forest, Il, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,215
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Are the inexpensive downloads MP3? Or the real thing?

    Addendum-
    I just looked up Exton on Google Play (I didn't realize that the "Android Store" had been renamed to Google Play). The two albums that I looked up were both labeled as mp3 recordings.
    $5.00 for an mp3 still is a bit of a bargain, considering that Amazon charges $7.99-$11.99 for the typical mp3. It isn't nearly as exciting as a CD or DSD going for that price
    Last edited by Triplets; Oct-13-2017 at 20:11.

Similar Threads

  1. Naxos label
    By DrMuller in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: Oct-11-2017, 03:46
  2. Favorite Record label?
    By avrile in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: May-07-2011, 02:31
  3. "En Larmes" label - source?
    By rmm in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul-13-2007, 16:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •