Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: I really need help becoming a conductor

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default I really need help becoming a conductor

    I’m 16 years old and have been studying and practicing conducting for a few months now. I feel very passionate about conducting and there’s nothing I wouldn’t do to end up in this field. I really need advice on how to progress. I’m thinking of going into violin or piano in college, and then go for conducting. I’ve seen some vague guides, but I’m really looking for some true help and how I can make it all the way there. I know I seem frantic it’s just this is my dream. Thank you so much for the help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member EddieRUKiddingVarese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Father of Electronic muse
    Posts
    3,863
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    I'd say go for Violin, as the bow is good for conducting- not so easy with a piano

  3. Likes Tulse, Potiphera liked this post
  4. #3
    Senior Member Becca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    2,715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I doubt that the instrument you choose will have much to do with it, e.g.

    John Barbirolli - cello
    Simon Rattle - timpani
    Andris Nelsons - trumpet
    Barbara Hannigan - soprano

  5. #4
    Senior Member Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I remember once reading a book by Sir Adrian Boult on the art of conducting. Well worth a read if you can find a copy. I remember him saying you need to play several instruments.

    It's called 'Thoughts on Conducting'
    Last edited by Star; Jan-07-2018 at 22:55.

  6. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I should clarify that I’ve played both for around 11 years each, that’s why I’m choosing one of those two. I’m looking for advice on how to expand my conducting skills and how to build a career once in college more than which instrument to choose.

  7. #6
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10,078
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In Richard Osborn's book, 'Conversations with Karajan', HvK (who was a pianist) says that the important thing is not to be able to play each and every instrument - as he says you would never be as good as your best players - but to understand what each instrument is capable of.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    get as much orchestra playing experience as you can.....you will observe many conductors....most ok, average, adequate, some really good, some really terrible. Study, make note of the things they do - what is effective, what is a waste of time.

    Conducting is very demanding, very difficult - you must know the entire score, every part, you must have a clear concept in your mind of what you want to hear, before it is even played. you must quickly isolate, identify, and fix problems....you must budget time very carefully...
    most important - you must have the self-confidence, the strength of ego to get some 80 odd musicians to play a piece the way you want it played - because each of them thinks that they know it better. Have a clear idea of what you want, and be able to express it directly and succinctly.
    Orchestra musicians will not suffer fools - so Reiner's advice is most applicable - <never get in front of an orchestra unless you know exactly what you are doing, and what you want to do>> [sorry, I don't have the exact quote]

  9. Likes Templeton, Potiphera liked this post
  10. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heck148 View Post
    get as much orchestra playing experience as you can.....you will observe many conductors....most ok, average, adequate, some really good, some really terrible. Study, make note of the things they do - what is effective, what is a waste of time.

    Conducting is very demanding, very difficult - you must know the entire score, every part, you must have a clear concept in your mind of what you want to hear, before it is even played. you must quickly isolate, identify, and fix problems....you must budget time very carefully...
    most important - you must have the self-confidence, the strength of ego to get some 80 odd musicians to play a piece the way you want it played - because each of them thinks that they know it better. Have a clear idea of what you want, and be able to express it directly and succinctly.
    Orchestra musicians will not suffer fools - so Reiner's advice is most applicable - <never get in front of an orchestra unless you know exactly what you are doing, and what you want to do>> [sorry, I don't have the exact quote]
    Thank you, this is incredibly helpful.

  11. #9
    Senior Member Pugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    36,231
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trepanian View Post
    I’m 16 years old and have been studying and practicing conducting for a few months now. I feel very passionate about conducting and there’s nothing I wouldn’t do to end up in this field. I really need advice on how to progress. I’m thinking of going into violin or piano in college, and then go for conducting. I’ve seen some vague guides, but I’m really looking for some true help and how I can make it all the way there. I know I seem frantic it’s just this is my dream. Thank you so much for the help.
    I am sure they will help you at college, see how the flow goes and stop worrying.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  12. #10
    Senior Member shadowdancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    São Paulo / Brasil
    Posts
    468
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    I doubt that the instrument you choose will have much to do with it, e.g.

    John Barbirolli - cello
    Simon Rattle - timpani
    Andris Nelsons - trumpet
    Barbara Hannigan - soprano
    Interesting list.
    Allow me to complement it:

    Harnoncourt, Toscanini, Barbirolli - Cello ("Ignoring" Rostropovich and Casals skills as conductors)
    Maazel, Dudamel - Violin
    Giulini - Viola (and Violin)

    and so on.

    For sure, the type/nature of the instrument won't have much to do with OP's dream...
    Last edited by shadowdancer; Jan-08-2018 at 18:55.
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." Friedrich Nietzsche
    一期一会

Similar Threads

  1. Sexiest conductor?
    By Carpentier in forum Conductors & Conducting
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: Nov-24-2017, 09:26
  2. Conductor Biographies
    By mbhaub in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov-12-2017, 16:56
  3. who is your favorite conductor??
    By Doro in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: Jan-15-2014, 12:32
  4. Fav ensemble/conductor
    By DW in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Feb-10-2009, 13:34
  5. I like this conductor
    By brooklynite in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct-18-2007, 15:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •