Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: What Classical Recordings Are You Going To Ask For Christmas?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia, United States
    Posts
    3,636

    Default What Classical Recordings Are You Going To Ask For Christmas?

    Since the Holiday Season is going to be here before we know it, what classical recordings have you been eyeballing that may be possible gifts that you would like to receive?

  2. #2
    Senior Member BuddhaBandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Philly-delphia, PA
    Posts
    512

    Default

    There's no way I'll get it, but:

    Take a look at the Bandit's blog, Americana Avenue.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia, United States
    Posts
    3,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBandit View Post
    There's no way I'll get it, but:

    Is that the whole Wagner/Solti set? If I actually liked opera, I would probably ask for that set too.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Tapkaara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lakeside, CA
    Posts
    2,726

    Default

    Is it Christmas already???
    "Music is not philosophy." --Akira Ifukube

  5. #5
    Senior Member BuddhaBandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Philly-delphia, PA
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Image View Post
    Is that the whole Wagner/Solti set? If I actually liked opera, I would probably ask for that set too.
    It's all of Wagner's major operas outside of the Ring Cycle. And I've heard the whole thing because one of my lucky friends has a copy- it's spellbinding. But, of course, that enchanting music sells for about $260 used
    Take a look at the Bandit's blog, Americana Avenue.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia, United States
    Posts
    3,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tapkaara View Post
    Is it Christmas already???
    Five more months to go and it will be. Time flies man....

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia, United States
    Posts
    3,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBandit View Post
    It's all of Wagner's major operas outside of the Ring Cycle. And I've heard the whole thing because one of my lucky friends has a copy- it's spellbinding. But, of course, that enchanting music sells for about $260 used
    I wish I could get into opera, but it just doesn't do anything for me. There are some lovely musical passages scattered throughout operas, especially in Puccini's, Verdi's, and Wagner's operas.

  8. #8
    Senior Member BuddhaBandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Philly-delphia, PA
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Image View Post
    I wish I could get into opera, but it just doesn't do anything for me. There are some lovely musical passages scattered throughout operas, especially in Puccini's, Verdi's, and Wagner's operas.
    Have you seen any opera productions? That's how I got into it- I saw Strauss' Ariadne auf Naxos and was immediately hooked on opera. There's something about seeing a performance- with the great sets, costumes, and sonics- that might light the operatic flame for you.
    Take a look at the Bandit's blog, Americana Avenue.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia, United States
    Posts
    3,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBandit View Post
    Have you seen any opera productions? That's how I got into it- I saw Strauss' Ariadne auf Naxos and was immediately hooked on opera. There's something about seeing a performance- with the great sets, costumes, and sonics- that might light the operatic flame for you.
    To be honest, I don't go for all the theatrics involved with opera. I don't care much for the ballet either, but ballet music, in my honest opinion, is some of the best ever written.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Weston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4,097

    Default

    I don't do Christmas, but I would love get my hands on the Andras Schiff cycle of Beethoven Piano Sonatas, the ones with the ink smears on the covers.

  11. #11
    Senior Member bassClef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Praha,CZ -> Scotland, UK?
    Posts
    836

    Default

    I don't get christmas presents, I'm an adult.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia, United States
    Posts
    3,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bassClef View Post
    I don't get christmas presents, I'm an adult.
    Adults aren't allowed to get presents? I get presents every year from my family. You're wife doesn't get you anything?

  13. #13
    Senior Member bassClef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Praha,CZ -> Scotland, UK?
    Posts
    836

    Default

    Well yes, a little something

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia, United States
    Posts
    3,636

    Default

    Anyway, this year I'm hoping to get this set to add to my collection:



    Despite some of the negative reviews I've read about this set I want it anyway. I also want this set:


Similar Threads

  1. Music Books - A Quick Reference
    By Chi_townPhilly in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: Sep-08-2014, 15:49
  2. New way of getting classical music
    By Nashvillebill in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jun-24-2014, 19:10
  3. Help for a classical newbie - best recordings of a few pieces?
    By JohnnyQuest in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Aug-13-2010, 21:57
  4. Help
    By huBelial in forum Identifying Music
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May-02-2009, 10:14
  5. Classical Piano - Free Recordings
    By signmypiano in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr-18-2008, 03:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •