Banner: The Hope for brass band, organ, choir, and percussion

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 176
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Audiophile question, What do you listen to your music on?

  1. #91
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I'm mostly listening high quality flac files on a Sansa Clip+ player. I recently upgraded my sennheiser PX 100-II to a Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro. Massive improvement!

    Anyone shopping for headphones I would advice to also visit a good musical equipment store and listen to some studio headphones. Classical and the current crop of "normal" headphones very rarely go together.

  2. #92
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    14

    Default

    I am listening my albums with headphones. I used Ultimate Eears TF10, Sennheiser HD25, AKG K324p, Sennheiser CX300, Unique Melody's UE TF18 (6 drivers-custom). But my best listening is with Hifiman HE5 with EF5 tube amplifier. Now i am waiting Beyer's DT660.

  3. #93
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Be interested to hear what you think of the DT660 compared to the hd25

  4. #94
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wijnands View Post
    Be interested to hear what you think of the DT660 compared to the hd25
    Sorry i didn't see your question.

    First week it was really weird to me, but after i used to listen Beyer DT 660 it is simply amazing for classical. I am so happy go to DT 660.

  5. #95
    Senior Member tgtr0660's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    FL, United States
    Posts
    331

    Default

    1. Marantz CD5004, V-Can headphone amp, ATH-W5000 headphones.
    2. Same player, Marantz NR1402, B&W 685 speakers
    3. Ford Fiesta 2011 player and speakers

    I only listen to CDS. I don't like MP3s or even lossless files.
    Last edited by tgtr0660; Mar-22-2012 at 16:21.
    Vaneyes likes this.

  6. #96
    Senior Member GrosseFugue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tgtr0660 View Post
    1. Marantz CD5004, V-Can headphone amp, ATH-W5000 headphones.
    2. Same player, Marantz NR1402, B&W 685 speakers
    3. Ford Fiesta 2011 player and speakers

    I only listen to CDS. I don't like MP3s or even lossless files.
    tgtr, why don't you listen to Mp3's? Is it because you notice a dramatic reduction in sound quality?

    I was looking at a Marantz recently, but one that was iPod compatible. I like the convenience.

  7. #97
    Senior Member tgtr0660's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    FL, United States
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrosseFugue View Post
    tgtr, why don't you listen to Mp3's? Is it because you notice a dramatic reduction in sound quality?

    I was looking at a Marantz recently, but one that was iPod compatible. I like the convenience.
    Part sound quality, but probably much more that I'm old-school. I'm a music collector, I love discs, the booklets and information, and on the other hand totally detest having files in a computer that look dead. Really, I'm a dinosaur. And I love technology and gadgets but music is something that I don't allow to be integrated there, and probably I never will. I have never had an iPod (had one about 6 years ago and it died for lack of use), I have iPhone and tablet and I never use them for music. On the other hand, can't live without my discs.

  8. #98
    Senior Member Vaneyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,069

    Default

    CD: The indestructible music format that REFUSES TO DIE

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03...global_report/
    Ukko likes this.

  9. #99
    Senior Member bigshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hollywood U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,942
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I'm as old school as they come... I have thousands of 78s and a Victrola as well as a wall full of LPs. I resisted the CD format for years, and finally gave in to the convenience. But nothing changed the way I listen to music more than digital files. I find that my listening is much more focused when I want to focus. I can quickly compare the same piece by different singers or conductors. I can sort music by genre or date. I can research material in my collection that I'm not familiar with yet. Or I can just put it on random shuffle and let fate decide. My iTunes library contains a year and a half of music organized into playlists for different purposes. It streams throughout my whole house via wifi as my own random play radio station.

    I listen to more music than I ever did before and I'm paying attention to it more. For me that's a very good thing.

  10. #100
    Senior Member Kontrapunctus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    I just bought an Oppo BDP 95--it sounds amazing. The multi-channel SACD quality is even better than my previous Sony 5400ES (I haven't tried an RBCD yet, but I'm sure they will sound great, too), and the Blu-ray picture is phenomenal. Ordinarily, I wouldn't think that a universal player could offer such uncompromising quality on both the audio and video fronts, but this unit does!

  11. #101
    Senior Member Vaneyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
    I'm as old school as they come... I have thousands of 78s and a Victrola as well as a wall full of LPs. I resisted the CD format for years, and finally gave in to the convenience. But nothing changed the way I listen to music more than digital files. I find that my listening is much more focused when I want to focus. I can quickly compare the same piece by different singers or conductors. I can sort music by genre or date. I can research material in my collection that I'm not familiar with yet. Or I can just put it on random shuffle and let fate decide. My iTunes library contains a year and a half of music organized into playlists for different purposes. It streams throughout my whole house via wifi as my own random play radio station.

    I listen to more music than I ever did before and I'm paying attention to it more. For me that's a very good thing.

    It'd be a boring music world, if everyone did everything the same way. It always boils down to what makes sense individually. There are enough options to please almost everyone. Research and development notwithstanding.

  12. #102
    Senior Member Vaneyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kontrapunctus View Post
    I just bought an Oppo BDP 95--it sounds amazing. The multi-channel SACD quality is even better than my previous Sony 5400ES (I haven't tried an RBCD yet, but I'm sure they will sound great, too), and the Blu-ray picture is phenomenal. Ordinarily, I wouldn't think that a universal player could offer such uncompromising quality on both the audio and video fronts, but this unit does!
    I've heard good things about Oppo product. How is the speed and function with w/o remote disc loading, track changing, track programming, etc.

    For people on a budget, I've often recommended using Blu-ray players for audio discs, if they don't mind some speed and function inconvenience versus a decent standalone CD player.

  13. #103
    Senior Member tgtr0660's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    FL, United States
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kontrapunctus View Post
    I just bought an Oppo BDP 95--it sounds amazing. The multi-channel SACD quality is even better than my previous Sony 5400ES (I haven't tried an RBCD yet, but I'm sure they will sound great, too), and the Blu-ray picture is phenomenal. Ordinarily, I wouldn't think that a universal player could offer such uncompromising quality on both the audio and video fronts, but this unit does!
    Oppo is known for having some of the best bluray players around. Fantastic.

  14. #104
    Senior Member Kontrapunctus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaneyes View Post
    I've heard good things about Oppo product. How is the speed and function with w/o remote disc loading, track changing, track programming, etc.
    I've only tried out SACDs so far, but it loads them much faster than my previous Sony SACD player (maybe 5 seconds compared to 10-15 seconds for the Sony), and it loads Blu-ray discs much faster than my Sony BDP 550 Blu-ray. Track changing is plenty fast. I haven't tried programming it--I've never used that function on any CD player! I don't see any problems with functionality on the remote. At first, it appears that ALL functions are on the remote, but once it is turned on, the play/stop/pause/forward/reverse touch screen-style buttons on the front panel show up, and there is indeed an open/close button on the front panel--it's black (as is the player) and doesn't stick up very far. One functionality I like is the "resume play" of the stop button: it resumes within a second, which is preferable to hitting "pause" and leaving the motor running. I have accidentally left CD players in that mode all day long! The only slow function is the fast forward and rewind--it's as slow as the Sony SACD, which is quite slow indeed, a problem endemic to all SACD/Blu-ray players that I have encountered--I guess the extra density of the program material slows it down. This Oppo moves forward in increments of 10 seconds or so--the audio is muted in between but briefly unmuted every 10 seconds.
    Vaneyes likes this.

  15. #105
    Senior Member Kontrapunctus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Update: RBCDs load even faster and sound great...well, as good as they can! Also, I made a very interesting discovery: it helps to read the owner's manual! Each time the fast forward (or reverse) button is pushed, the search time speeds up! So, with a few clicks, it fastforwards several minutes at a time, which is a massive improvement over my Sony! Lastly (for now..), it does not seem to be programmable per se--there is a random play mode, but that seems to be about it. I only have one one disc where programming would be desirable: a harpsichord recital on which the artist recites poems between pieces! I could do without those.
    Vaneyes likes this.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Indian classical music
    By padmaiyangar in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Aug-28-2013, 00:51
  2. Breadth or Depth
    By BuddhaBandit in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Aug-27-2013, 21:13
  3. How do you listen to music?
    By Cyclops in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: Jun-23-2010, 06:21
  4. A Classical Music Question and Link
    By Yuval Kramer in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr-27-2008, 00:18
  5. Question on new thread for Music & Music Theory Books
    By vertciel in forum Site Feedback & Technical Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct-03-2007, 03:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •