Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 135
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Russian Opera

  1. #31
    Senior Member tgtr0660's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    FL, United States
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Boris Godunov, the only opera I have more than one version of (Rostropovich-Erato/Karajan-Decca/Melik-Pashaev-Melodiya). I don't think there is any other opera that conveys so well the popular drama, amazing. I like both Rimsky's and Mussorgsky's orchestration (haven't heard Shostakovich's).

    Opera is not really my main thing but I have a few russian ones that I love, already mentioned here: Khovanschina, Lady Macbeth of Mtsenk (Katarina Ismailova), Prince Igor, Russlan and Ludmila. And that's it for me. I have to dig more...

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Suburbs of Montreal
    Posts
    2,718

    Default Teach you?

    Impressive, but then, teach us. What do you recommend?
    ================================================== ===

    I'm sorry I am nobody to recommend you something.

    It is a question of taste.

    I love Rimsky-Korsakov and I bought many DVDs...There is also an awesome DVD about Cherevichki (the slippers, the story was written by Gogol).

    The best thing to do is to be familiar with the main Russian writers: Gogol (Rimsky-Korsakov(may night, Christmas eve), Tchaikovsky (Cherevichki=Christmas eve, the same story), Moussorgsky (Sorotchinsky fairy) have his music)...Many of Pushkin (Moussorgsky, Boris Godounov), Rimsky (Tsar Saltan), the golden cocqerel, Tchakiovsky (Evgeni onieguin, the queen os spades) Prokofiev (War and peace, Tolstoi)...etc. Dargomizhskym Russalka (Pushkin), Shaporin (the decembrists)..Schnittke, 3 operas...not very good...

    Russian litterature and Russian music go hand in hand...

    Russian opera is like saying German or Italian opera...you have so many...for a lifetime!!!

    A suggestion? Tell me what do you like? Then I could help you. But something is common in Russian opera and Italian opera...Both are "opera by numbers", this means...different scenes, different music...not like Wagner or Schreker, development opera...one or two themes developed...

    I hope the explanation is clear...

    I'd love to help you...But can I really?


    Humbly,

    Martin

  3. #33
    Senior Member Almaviva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,427
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myaskovsky2002 View Post
    Impressive, but then, teach us. What do you recommend?
    ================================================== ===

    I'm sorry I am nobody to recommend you something.

    It is a question of taste.

    I love Rimsky-Korsakov and I bought many DVDs...There is also an awesome DVD about Cherevichki (the slippers, the story was written by Gogol).

    The best thing to do is to be familiar with the main Russian writers: Gogol (Rimsky-Korsakov(may night, Christmas eve), Tchaikovsky (Cherevichki=Christmas eve, the same story), Moussorgsky (Sorotchinsky fairy) have his music)...Many of Pushkin (Moussorgsky, Boris Godounov), Rimsky (Tsar Saltan), the golden cocqerel, Tchakiovsky (Evgeni onieguin, the queen os spades) Prokofiev (War and peace, Tolstoi)...etc. Dargomizhskym Russalka (Pushkin), Shaporin (the decembrists)..Schnittke, 3 operas...not very good...

    Russian litterature and Russian music go hand in hand...

    Russian opera is like saying German or Italian opera...you have so many...for a lifetime!!!

    A suggestion? Tell me what do you like? Then I could help you. But something is common in Russian opera and Italian opera...Both are "opera by numbers", this means...different scenes, different music...not like Wagner or Schreker, development opera...one or two themes developed...

    I hope the explanation is clear...

    I'd love to help you...But can I really?


    Humbly,

    Martin
    Of course you can help me and teach me, you just did!
    Ever since I started this thread, I've seen a couple more, and liked them.

    War and Peace (or Peace and War - it is this way in the opera as well) - loved Peace, found War impressive and with some great moments but a little over-the-top in terms of screaming patriotism (apparently requested by the authorities) and a little too long and rambling, although probably the best scene in all of it is in the War part - the death scene, one of the best in all of opera.

    Le Rossignol - absolutely loved it.

    Bethrotal in a Monastery - loved it too.

    My Ruslan and Lyudmila copy has arrived but I haven't watched it yet.

    I have ordered Prince Igor but it hasn't arrived yet.

    What do I like? Pretty much everything. I rarely fail to like an opera. I seem to always find something good about even the ones I don't feel crazy about, and the ones I really dislike are *very* rare (I once started a thread about it) and may have more to do with poor productions than with the operas themselves.

    So, I like operas in all styles... baroque, classical, romantic, belcanto, verismo, modernist, contemporary... tonal or atonal or any alternative system... Italian or German or French or Russian or British/American... numbers operas, scenes operas, written-through operas...

    I guess I just love opera.

    So what I was asking for was just a list of your favorite Russian operas so that I can explore the ones I don't know little by little. But you and others in this thread have done just that, and I'll continue to explore.

    Thanks, and cheers!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Suburbs of Montreal
    Posts
    2,718

    Default Bad suggestions

    Borodin - Prince Igor
    Dargomizhsky (between Glinka and Tchaikovsky) - The Stone Guest
    Fleischman - Rothchild's Violin
    Prokofiev - War and Peace (that should actually be 'Peace and War' to follow the original Russian title)
    Prokofiev - The Flaming (or Fiery) Angel
    Rimsky-Korsakov - Le coq d'or (The Golden Cockerel)
    Rimsky-Korsakov - The Tale of Tsar Saltan
    Shchedrin - Dead Souls
    Stravinsky - Le rossignol (The Nightingale)
    Stravinsky - Mavra
    ====================================
    Borodin, OK
    Dargomizhsky: The stone guest (literally Pushkin play) is bad, rather Russalka....
    Fleischman.....I don't even know this composer...maybe... I can't say no
    Prokofiev Voina y Mir in Russian (War and peace in English...you are wrong again). A lovely opera...But War and Peace in Russian too, I speak Russian.
    Prokofiev, the fairy angel...Good, not a good start for a beginner go for the love for 3 oranges instead.
    Rimsky-Korsakov, Le coq d'or is his last opera and not very good, very well known by American people...not good at all. Take Mlada or Snegurotchka instead (the snow maiden) or the Tsar's bride...
    RimskY; The tsar Saltan, wonderful choice, Pushkin
    Schredin: the worst Soviet composer ever, Maya Plisetskaya's husband. He onlyu composed one thing nice: Carmen (Bizet) ballet.
    Stravinsky, le rossignol, Mavra, both are cute.


    Your choice.

    Do not recommend blindly...Please try to know what are you talking about...Do not recommend what you like but what you think the other person could like...

    Martin Pitchon

  5. #35
    Senior Member Almaviva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,427
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myaskovsky2002 View Post
    Borodin - Prince Igor
    Dargomizhsky (between Glinka and Tchaikovsky) - The Stone Guest
    Fleischman - Rothchild's Violin
    Prokofiev - War and Peace (that should actually be 'Peace and War' to follow the original Russian title)
    Prokofiev - The Flaming (or Fiery) Angel
    Rimsky-Korsakov - Le coq d'or (The Golden Cockerel)
    Rimsky-Korsakov - The Tale of Tsar Saltan
    Shchedrin - Dead Souls
    Stravinsky - Le rossignol (The Nightingale)
    Stravinsky - Mavra
    ====================================
    Borodin, OK
    Dargomizhsky: The stone guest (literally Pushkin play) is bad, rather Russalka....
    Fleischman.....I don't even know this composer...maybe... I can't say no
    Prokofiev Voina y Mir in Russian (War and peace in English...you are wrong again). A lovely opera...But War and Peace in Russian too, I speak Russian.
    Prokofiev, the fairy angel...Good, not a good start for a beginner go for the love for 3 oranges instead.
    Rimsky-Korsakov, Le coq d'or is his last opera and not very good, very well known by American people...not good at all. Take Mlada or Snegurotchka instead (the snow maiden) or the Tsar's bride...
    RimskY; The tsar Saltan, wonderful choice, Pushkin
    Schredin: the worst Soviet composer ever, Maya Plisetskaya's husband. He onlyu composed one thing nice: Carmen (Bizet) ballet.
    Stravinsky, le rossignol, Mavra, both are cute.


    Your choice.

    Do not recommend blindly...Please try to know what are you talking about...Do not recommend what you like but what you think the other person could like...

    Martin Pitchon
    See? You can teach indeed.
    My next "target" is Love for Three Oranges.
    As soon as I see it, I'll tell you what I think.
    Thanks.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Suburbs of Montreal
    Posts
    2,718

    Default

    I have The Gambler DVD, it is in Russian.

    This opera "the Gambler (Dostoyevsky) is very hard and Prokofiev was "too" young, at this period also composed the chaotic symphony #2 like Shostakovich...Many coincidences..After his first (classical) (I don't like it). The third contains the music of the opera The fairy angel, awesome...If you don't like opera, you have this to replace a bit, same themes.
    I like this opera (feast in times of plague) by Cui...(Cui, Pushkin) Small is beautiful, just 1 CD, like Mozart and Salier (Rimsky-Korsakov, Pushkin), 1 CD

    Lo bueno y breve dos veces bueno...Refrán español (Spanish proverb, if it's good and short it is two times good).

    Martin Pitchon


    Martin PItchon

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Suburbs of Montreal
    Posts
    2,718

    Default Liubov k tri apelsinam

    Liubov k tri apelsinam (Love for three oranges is funny, beautiful and very good music...Prokofiev was considered as "L'enfant terrible" in France.

    Hasta la vista

    Martin PItchon



  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Suburbs of Montreal
    Posts
    2,718

    Default éta ochen interesna

    Well...How many Russian operas do you know? Should I say 100? Yes. I guess, this is a nice number.

    R-K: 15
    Glinka: 2
    Rachmaninov: 6
    Prokofiev: 10-12
    Tchaikovsky: 10
    Taneyev: 2
    Arensky: 2
    Schnittke: 4
    Shostakovich: 4
    Stassov: 2
    Dargomizhsky: 5
    Moussorgsky: 5-6
    Borodin: 1


    and a big etc.


    What do they have in common? They certainly do...When you listen to a Russian even sovietic opera...not just the beautiful language that I'm learning but the mood, the Russian mood...that didn't change with the years...

    The nose and both Gamblers (Shosta and Prokofiev) have something in common...They cannot be understood! This is music for crazy people!

    Take a look of my list....I think that is a big list...

    http://pages.videotron.com/svp/

    See you.

    Martin Pitchon



  9. #39
    Senior Member Almaviva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,427
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myaskovsky2002 View Post
    Well...How many Russian operas do you know? Should I say 100? Yes. I guess, this is a nice number.

    R-K: 15
    Glinka: 2
    Rachmaninov: 6
    Prokofiev: 10-12
    Tchaikovsky: 10
    Taneyev: 2
    Arensky: 2
    Schnittke: 4
    Shostakovich: 4
    Stassov: 2
    Dargomizhsky: 5
    Moussorgsky: 5-6
    Borodin: 1
    Wow! You know 100 Russian operas?
    Help me out with something, then. I only know one of R-K's, Sadko which I didn't especially like, and I have, still unwatched, The Golden Coquerel. What should I try next? The Tale of Tsar Saltan? The Snow Maiden? Other suggestions?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  10. #40
    Senior Member sospiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    3,789
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhar26 View Post
    Three that I like very much.








    Only one link works. After reading your later comments I wouldn't mind trying the Prokofiev - which one is the Rossini-like?

    Thanks
    Annie

  11. #41
    Super Moderator jhar26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Only one link works. After reading your later comments I wouldn't mind trying the Prokofiev - which one is the Rossini-like?

    Thanks
    Betrothal in a Monastery. It's Rossini like - but in 20th century musical language of course.







    Martha doesn't signal when the orchestra comes in, she's just pursing her lips..

  12. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Suburbs of Montreal
    Posts
    2,718

    Default The Betrothal

    is a lovely opera indeed.

    I don't think is Rossini like...Rossini has many "recitatives", this opera hasn't. Rossini has many longueurs, this opera hasn't. Rossini is nice but this one is more likely to like the XXth-XXIst century public.

    This is JUST my opinion

    Martin Pitchon

  13. #43
    Senior Member sospiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    3,789
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhar26 View Post
    Betrothal in a Monastery. It's Rossini like - but in 20th century musical language of course.


    Thanks - on my 'order-after-Christmas' list. Any other Russian operas for a beginner to put on my list? There are conflicting opinions on here regarding Boris Godunov; is it easy or difficult?

    (have got Eugene Onegin)
    Annie

  14. #44
    Super Moderator jhar26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myaskovsky2002 View Post
    is a lovely opera indeed.

    I don't think is Rossini like...Rossini has many "recitatives", this opera hasn't. Rossini has many longueurs, this opera hasn't. Rossini is nice but this one is more likely to like the XXth-XXIst century public.

    This is JUST my opinion

    Martin Pitchon
    I mean in terms of the story, the comedy, the characters. It even plays in Seville. Of course it doesn't SOUND like Rossini, but the setting and the atmosphere is similar. It kinda relates to Rossini in the same way that Der Rosenkavalier relates to Mozart.
    Martha doesn't signal when the orchestra comes in, she's just pursing her lips..

  15. #45
    Super Moderator jhar26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post


    Thanks - on my 'order-after-Christmas' list. Any other Russian operas for a beginner to put on my list?
    Rimsky-Korsakov's "Sadko." Almaviva is not a fan, but I love it.

    Last edited by jhar26; Dec-04-2010 at 21:02.
    Martha doesn't signal when the orchestra comes in, she's just pursing her lips..

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Battle or War Pieces??
    By Mahler Maniac in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: Jun-26-2009, 23:00
  2. The essential Baroque collection
    By Bgroovy2 in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Jun-17-2009, 11:52
  3. Hi there - Opera Fan here
    By noellekelley in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug-12-2008, 21:33
  4. Notes on 'Mozart's' Opera 'Don Giovanni'
    By colleengail726 in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug-03-2007, 14:12
  5. Hi! :) Opera Lover Here! (and instrumental!)
    By urbandryad in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb-23-2006, 22:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •