Banner: The symphonic suite Cantabile

Page 8 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 1407
Like Tree727Likes

Thread: Is There a Great Composer You Plain Just Don't Like

  1. #106
    Senior Member Argus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mancunia
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    His music aside, does no else think he looks like a reet smug get:



    Almost as much as this picture exudes an impressive level of ****ishness:

    Last edited by Krummhorn; Feb-26-2010 at 18:12.

  2. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    2,846
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Ha!

    ....................................

  3. #108
    Senior Member Elgarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,136

    Default

    Gosh.

    I feel a bit like the poor bemused guy who said 'I know something about art but I don't know what I like.' Truth is, I don't know what I 'like', because I find the word virtually meaningless when applied to the arts. But I do know what I love passionately, or what shows me new and enriching perspectives, or what gives me insights I've never had before. But the antithesis of this - what I don't like - is even more unhelpful, because usually what I really mean by not liking a certain composer is something like 'I'm not interested enough in that kind of music right now to be bothered putting the time in to find out if I want to explore it'.

    The list of artists, poets, and composers that I used to 'dislike' (in ignorance) but now find deeply enriching is so long as to be embarrassing. I'd hoped I'd learn by experience faster than I actually did. Once I thought Mozart was predictable and dull. Now, I can't get enough of the man, and am playing my way through all the piano concertos in three different recorded versions, and the excitement that his music is generating is no less breathless and vivid than the excitement generated by discovering Sibelius or Wagner when I was younger. Once I thought Handel was just 'pretty'. Now I have cupboards overflowing with boxed sets of his operas, and they're as profoundly moving as anything I've ever heard.

    The list of composers whose work doesn't interest me very much is probably longer than the list of those who do, but what I do know is that it's a steadily dwindling list. And I hope I'll know better and be spiritually richer this time next year; and the year after that. In the meantime, what I 'dislike' today doesn't seem worth talking about - the reason I 'dislike' it is almost certainly (in the case of a generally acknowledged great composer) something to do with my own ignorance and reluctance to put the work in, rather than with any fundamental restriction of my 'taste' (another not-very-useful word), and certainly not due to any real shortcomings in the composer.

    For the sake of the topic - well, I'm not attracted by those long-winded Romantics (Wagner excepted) - who always seem to give me a poor return for any time (admittedly not much) that I put in listening to them. And next year, who knows, maybe I'll be the latest Mahler convert? I could believe it. But I do know that here and now, my opinions about what I don't like are of no importance.
    Last edited by Elgarian; Feb-25-2010 at 17:14.

  4. #109
    Banned (Temporarily)
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Almost as much as this picture exudes an impressive level of ****ishness
    This picture exudes with creating power of young and raw half-god whose eyes cast look full of nobility and splendor.
    Last edited by Krummhorn; Feb-26-2010 at 18:12.

  5. #110
    Senior Member Argus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mancunia
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    This picture exudes with creating power of young and raw half-god whose eyes cast look full of nobility and splendor.
    Yeah, exactly.

  6. #111
    Senior Member Tapkaara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lakeside, CA
    Posts
    2,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Some further thoughts to stir the pot on the subject of Mozart ....

    I would conjecture that at least some, possibly most, of the few critics of Mozart’s music who have surfaced in this thread are mainly basing their negative perceptions on having explored only a narrow selection of his entire output. This might possibly be as narrow as a few symphonies and maybe a couple of his better known concertos, at most.
    It might possibly be as narrow as a few symphonies and a couple of his better known concerti, but in my case, it is not. While I own only a handful of Mozart recordings personally, I spend quite a bit of time listening to classical radio, either in the car or at home or over the internet. I listen mostly to KUSC in Los Angeles online. They even have an hour devoted to Mozart every afternoon. So, I have heard my fair share of Mozart beyond the symphonies and concerti: opera, quartets, sonate, etc. While I will not claim to have heard every work that flowed from Mozart's quill (which wouldn't be necessary anyway to form an opinion) nor can I name with exactitude every work I have heard (I don't know what number that symphony was...I just know it was by Mozart), I have been around long enough (at least one year longer than you, Artemis...not that it matters, just sayin') to know that, in the cultivation of my musical tastes, Mozart is persona non grata. This is simply a matter of personal taste and not of ignorance. An appreciation of classical music and of Mozart are not one and the same, despite what ANYONE says. How do I know this? Well, look at this thread. We have several members who obviously love classical music so much that they spend (waste?) their time in this forum talking about the art they love so much. I'd imagine anyone who takes the time to participate in such a forum probably is more knowledgeable and and cultivated than the average classical listener, so their (an my) opinions of Mozart simply cannot be based on some sort of ignorance. I think it is more ignorant to think that there is no such thing as intelligent classical music fans who don't like every single damn "mainstream" composer, Mozart CERTAINLY included.



    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I say this partly on general observations I have made about such people on my travels around this and other message boards, and partly on the specific situation regarding the most vociferous critic here, whose favourite composer wrote very little of any value outside the orchestral sphere. I would guess that these people have hardly delved, if at all into, into Mozart’s quite vast array of other works including his many highly rated chamber works, piano solo, various sacred works, smaller scale choral works, let alone any of his large number of splendid operas.
    The assertion that those who don't like Mozart only like "romantic" composers or purely orchestral composers may make some sense and I won't deny that you have observed this. While I myself prefer works for full orchestra over smaller formats, let's not make the assumption, at least in my case, that I am only limited to orchestral bombast. I love chamber music and I do not limit myself to 19th century romanticism. Notwithstanding, I don't see how exploring Mozart's chamber works would make any lick of difference. Are they better than his orchestral works?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

    I suspect that the reason for this is that these other genres don’t interest them to anything like the extent certain types of orchestral music do. Thus, what they’re really saying is that they don’t much care for the kind of music Mozart wrote. The fact that Mozart is by far the most revered composer of the Classical era simply makes him the number one target for their attacks. In short, these people have a narrow musical focus and do not have the wherewithal necessary to appreciate the virtues of a composer like Mozart who excelled in all these other genres.
    While I am not crazy for Haydn, I do enjoy much of what he has written. His 86th Symphony comes to mind immediately as a wonderful work. His "Emperor" quartet is popular, and I can see why...it is exquisite. I've enjoyed some of the piano concerti of Paisiello and Cherubini has captivated me. These are all composers of the classical period, yet I am lumping (genuine) praise on them. So period has nothing to do with it in my case. It seems that I really just don't like Mozart then. It's to so much I do not like the kind of music he wrote...it's more simple than that...I do not like the music he wrote, period.

    And your statement about the "narrow musical focus" is the classsic "you don't understand" or "you are not educated enough" argument. Really, where do you get off making this judgment against others. Are you claiming that you are not narrow-minded but I am? How could you possibly go there? Again, I personally find it narrow to think that one MUST love Mozart in order to have any valid musical taste.

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

    It seems astonishing to me that these people who profess a disliking of Mozart can’t see for themselves how hollow their attacks are. Nothing they say is remotely of any significance in the grand scheme of things. The very high status of Mozart is a fact and it won’t be changed one iota by any of their negative assessment. Of course they are entitled to express their opinions, but with some comments there seems to be an innuendo that the rest of us are somehow dimwitted to like Mozart.



    Let the record show I have nothing bad to say about people who like Mozart. (Refer to my earlier posts.) Also, let the record show I am aware of Mozart's status and I know my opinions of him will not change that. While my comments may ultimately be insignificant in the grand scheme of things, they are still my opinions and it feels good to express them. As for the "hollow attacks," I am not attacking, merely expressing. But my expressions of distaste are not hollow; they are based on years of hear Mozart and forming an opinion on his output.

    [/QUOTE]

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

    It also seems astonishing that some very few individuals seek to make martyrs of themselves by pretending that they have been bullied when in fact all that’s happened is that they have faced some serious questioning asking them to justify their reasons for believing Mozart to be a poor composer. The generally silly answers they have given show that their antagonism is all mainly a lot of pure “hot air”, based on nothing more than a general disliking of that kind of music. It’s almost as crude as someone saying they hate Chopin because as a child they had an accident with a piano lid.
    I do not claim to be a martyr. I merely stated that I have been bullied. While I would not call Artemis's comments here bullying, he has asserted the classical "Mozart haters are ignorant" argument which, at the very least, demonstrates the intolerance the anti-Mozart folks get when they try to express their opinions. The fact remains that one cannot speak out against Mozart without being taken to task. The level of severity of the chiding may vary from person to person, but the chiding carries on!

    Mozart is a sacred cow and all of our lives we are taught that he is God. This is funny, isn't it, and very apt, because there is certainly a religious-style admiration for this composer among most of the classical music set. Any insult to Mozart is like taking the lord's name in vain. My saying I do not like Mozart is like drawing a Danish cartoon of Mohammed, I guess. It releases fanatical hysteria from those who must protect their Holy Father whenever he is not revered as God.

    OK, so perhaps that is hyperbole. But I hope it helps to clarify my point.
    "Music is not philosophy." --Akira Ifukube

  7. #112
    Senior Member World Violist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,334
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Some further thoughts to stir the pot on the subject of Mozart ....

    I would conjecture that at least some, possibly most, of the few critics of Mozartís music who have surfaced in this thread are mainly basing their negative perceptions on having explored only a narrow selection of his entire output. This might possibly be as narrow as a few symphonies and maybe a couple of his better known concertos, at most.
    I would concede to exploring a comparatively narrow bit of his work. But I have heard selections from each genre in which Mozart was largely successful (piano sonatas, opera, symphonies, quartets, etc.; and I've played some string quartets as well). But it entirely eludes me. Arias from the Magic Flute, etc. just irritate me. Admittedly, I still haven't heard the Requiem, but if that's the only Mozart composition that I understand, then that basically equates to misunderstanding the composer overall, no?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I say this partly on general observations I have made about such people on my travels around this and other message boards, and partly on the specific situation regarding the most vociferous critic here, whose favourite composer wrote very little of any value outside the orchestral sphere. I would guess that these people have hardly delved, if at all into, into Mozartís quite vast array of other works including his many highly rated chamber works, piano solo, various sacred works, smaller scale choral works, let alone any of his large number of splendid operas.
    I'll assume you're referring to me. Just for the record, Mahler isn't my "favorite" composer. To me, "favorite" is a useless word used to categorize people. Just because I happen to listen to Mahler quite a lot doesn't mean anything about how people should stereotype me as an orchestral junkie or whatever. I love Mahler just as much as Tallis choral works or Schubert's string quintet or Wagner operas. Not to mention my interest in Indian music, which I don't recall being symphonic at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I suspect that the reason for this is that these other genres donít interest them to anything like the extent certain types of orchestral music do. Thus, what theyíre really saying is that they donít much care for the kind of music Mozart wrote. The fact that Mozart is by far the most revered composer of the Classical era simply makes him the number one target for their attacks. In short, these people have a narrow musical focus and do not have the wherewithal necessary to appreciate the virtues of a composer like Mozart who excelled in all these other genres.
    I'm not going to say that I entirely disagree with this. It may well come to me with age/knowledge/wisdom, but as I recall this thread is based on great composers one doesn't like right now, not 40 years down the road. If I find Mozart to be without much substance right now and practically worship him later on, that's fine. I would prefer, though, to keep this conversation where it belongs: at the present moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    It seems astonishing to me that these people who profess a disliking of Mozart canít see for themselves how hollow their attacks are. Nothing they say is remotely of any significance in the grand scheme of things. The very high status of Mozart is a fact and it wonít be changed one iota by any of their negative assessment. Of course they are entitled to express their opinions, but with some comments there seems to be an innuendo that the rest of us are somehow dimwitted to like Mozart.
    Just as there seems an innuendo among those who chide us for disliking Mozart that we are somehow dimwitted to dislike him?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    It also seems astonishing that some very few individuals seek to make martyrs of themselves by pretending that they have been bullied when in fact all thatís happened is that they have faced some serious questioning asking them to justify their reasons for believing Mozart to be a poor composer. The generally silly answers they have given show that their antagonism is all mainly a lot of pure ďhot airĒ, based on nothing more than a general disliking of that kind of music. Itís almost as crude as someone saying they hate Chopin because as a child they had an accident with a piano lid.
    I don't intend to make Mozart out to be a bad composer. I just try to say that I don't like his music because it strikes me as being without substance. People try to tell me that it is, I disagree with them, and they go on about how great it is anyway, trying to make me see what they're trying to say. I don't mean to make it sound like they're "bullying" me in the connoted sense, but it is definitely tiring when people try to make me out to be some hyper-emotional teenager who can't listen to anything but Mahler all day just to get his emotional fix.

    I'm not trying to imply anything about Mozart. Liking or disliking something is WAY different from stating anything about the quality of the music, and nobody tends to realize that important fact when posting here. The title of this thread seems to realize it just fine: What great composer do you not like. The composer is still great, you just don't like the music.

    I think Mozart is a great composer. I just don't like his music. Fair enough?
    You get a frog in your throat, you sound hoarse.

  8. #113
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tapkaara View Post

    While I am not crazy for Haydn, I do enjoy much of what he has written. His 86th Symphony comes to mind immediately as a wonderful work. His "Emperor" quartet is popular, and I can see why...it is exquisite. I've enjoyed some of the piano concerti of Paisiello and Cherubini has captivated me. These are all composers of the classical period, yet I am lumping (genuine) praise on them. So period has nothing to do with it in my case. It seems that I really just don't like Mozart then. It's to so much I do not like the kind of music he wrote...it's more simple than that...I do not like the music he wrote, period.
    The paragraph above is the core of your reply. You say that your disliking of Mozart has nothing to do with a general lack of interest in music of the Classical era generally. This I find is a very strange position to adopt. More so than with any other period in classical music, Mozart epitomises the Classical era, with most of all the other composers of that period being comparative minnows. The exception is Haydn but he is not generally considered to be in quite the same class as Mozart.

    Leaving aside that debatable issue about Mozart vs Haydn, for you to say that there is nothing of Mozart's work which you find of high quality amazes me. What about all of his opera? Are you denying that there is not one gem among any of these, or that another Classical composer wrote anything better? As for Mozart's symphonies the last three (Nos 39-41) are worth more than all of Haydn's put together. One of the most beautiful Requiems ever written was the one by Mozart, even though he only half wrote it. Mozart's late piano concertos (especially Nos 20,21, 24) are works of exceptional quality, at least as good and in my view better than anything Beethoven wrote. The Clarinet Quintet and Clarinet Concertos are absolutely standard top quality works on any serious music lover's agenda. The String Quintet Kv516 and several late String Quartets are more than a match for anything Haydn wrote.

    I could go on. All I can say is that I am astonished that you say you like Classical era music but not Mozart. It sounds fishy to me.
    violadude likes this.

  9. #114
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by World Violist View Post

    I'll assume you're referring to me. Just for the record, Mahler isn't my "favorite" composer. To me, "favorite" is a useless word used to categorize people. Just because I happen to listen to Mahler quite a lot doesn't mean anything about how people should stereotype me as an orchestral junkie or whatever. I love Mahler just as much as Tallis choral works or Schubert's string quintet or Wagner operas. Not to mention my interest in Indian music, which I don't recall being symphonic at all.

    I wasn't referring to you at all. I had in mind Tapkaara's enthusiasm for Sibelius.

    If I have understood you, your reply seems to be saying that you don't like Classical era music generally, for which you use "Mozart" as a shorthand descriptor.

    If that is the case, it would be far more revealing if people who don't like particular genres of music, or periods of music, said so rather than pick on specific composers who represent that period and state that they don't like those composers.

    Perhaps, however, I misunderstood you, and that you, like Tapkaara, do like the Classical era but not Mozart's music for some reason. If so, what is exactly is it about Mozart's music you dislike for which you find redeeming features in the work of other Classical composers, and who are those composers?

  10. #115
    Senior Member World Violist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,334
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I wasn't referring to you at all. I had in mind Tapkaara's enthusiasm for Sibelius.

    If I have understood you, your reply seems to be saying that you don't like Classical era music generally, for which you use "Mozart" as a shorthand descriptor.

    If that is the case, it would be far more revealing if people who don't like particular genres of music, or periods of music, said so rather than pick on specific composers who represent that period and state that they don't like those composers.

    Perhaps, however, I misunderstood you, and that you, like Tapkaara, do like the Classical era but not Mozart's music for some reason. If so, what is exactly is it about Mozart's music you dislike for which you find redeeming features in the work of other Classical composers, and who are those composers?
    I don't mean to say "Mozart" meaning all of classical music. In fact, I also am rather fond of Haydn. As to why I prefer Haydn over Mozart, I think Haydn is just less inhibited by form. True, Mozart may be more perfect formally, but I tend to find Haydn more easy to listen to. Haydn just seems purer than Mozart; there are times when I find Mozart to be a bit "self-conscious" compared to Haydn, who seems much more unbuttoned. Take the 88th symphony; I prefer it over Mozart's 40th (for consistency's sake) because I just don't understand what Mozart is trying to do. Is he trying to be all profound? That isn't working. Is he having a bad day? I don't know; all that's left is the music. Mozart's 40th seems to be trying to say something but not succeeding, whether or not it actually is. Haydn's 88th, on the other hand, is a complete thing; he's just writing the music and having fun while he's at it. The monothematic structure certainly helps; he doesn't have to deal with 2-3 thematic ideas, and this also allows the music to progress more organically.

    This is why I prefer still more the earlier and later music: they didn't have unspoken rules about how to structure things. In sonata form you have the whole exposition-development-recapitulation thing going on (and one other quip about Mozart; he doesn't seem to want to develop anything beyond the exposition, and then he only mish-mashes the original themes together, whereas Haydn is integrating all the thematic devices in a different--more organic, again--way), which the classical composers, while never explicitly learning it that way, always did. In earlier music, sure, you have fugues and traditional masses, but there isn't a set of rules on how to structure a fugue (at least are nowhere near as rigid as the way people wrote sonatas); just how to write them. In later music, especially when it came to Wagner and later on, form more or less went out the window. Or, if there is form, it's not taken literally, and if it is it's way more complex than what Mozart did.

    Again, I have no delusions of attempting to dethrone Mozart. I just want to say what I don't like about his music.
    You get a frog in your throat, you sound hoarse.

  11. #116
    Senior Member Tapkaara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lakeside, CA
    Posts
    2,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

    I could go on. All I can say is that I am astonished that you say you like Classical era music but not Mozart. It sounds fishy to me.
    The Classical period is my least favorite of all the periods. Perhaps it's because Mozart defines the Classical period and I don't like his music.

    Whether or not he defines the Classical period is not relevant. The other composer I mentioned maybe be "minnows" compared to Mozart, but still, I find them more engaging.

    I find it funny that you think in order to like ANY music in the Classical period, you MUST love Mozart. That's like saying to like Baroque yo MUST like Bach or to like early Romanticism you MUST like Liszt and to like later Romanticism you MUST like Tchaikovsky. Who sets these rules? One does not have to love every composer in a genre (or the "best" composer in the genre) to like the genre in general. Just silly.

    My distaste for Mozart is fishy? Do you think I have some hidden agenda here? I am making this up? Now I am a suspicious character. THIS IS EXACTLY what I mean when I talk about the offence people feel when the mighty God Mozart has detractors. It's completely irrational. Now it's fishy...there is something else at play here. Maybe I just don't like him? Can it not be that simple? In the world of the Mozart worshippers, I suppose not.
    "Music is not philosophy." --Akira Ifukube

  12. #117
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tapkaara View Post
    The Classical period is my least favorite of all the periods. Perhaps it's because Mozart defines the Classical period and I don't like his music.

    Whether or not he defines the Classical period is not relevant. The other composer I mentioned maybe be "minnows" compared to Mozart, but still, I find them more engaging.

    I find it funny that you think in order to like ANY music in the Classical period, you MUST love Mozart. That's like saying to like Baroque yo MUST like Bach or to like early Romanticism you MUST like Liszt and to like later Romanticism you MUST like Tchaikovsky. Who sets these rules? One does not have to love every composer in a genre (or the "best" composer in the genre) to like the genre in general. Just silly.

    My distaste for Mozart is fishy? Do you think I have some hidden agenda here? I am making this up? Now I am a suspicious character. THIS IS EXACTLY what I mean when I talk about the offence people feel when the mighty God Mozart has detractors. It's completely irrational. Now it's fishy...there is something else at play here. Maybe I just don't like him? Can it not be that simple? In the world of the Mozart worshippers, I suppose not.
    The problem with all this is that, unlike other music periods, the Classical period is determined by the presence of a few major characters and Mozart was chief among them. With the Baroque period, while J S Bach was a very important figure, there were sufficient others to make it viable without him. The same applies with regard to the Romantic period, but even more so.

    Mozart's music is not so different from that of other composers of the time except that it was generally far better in the opinion of the vast majority of people who enjoy that era. For anyone to say that they like the Classical era but dislike Mozart - not simply that Mozart is not their favourite Classical composer, but that they positively dislike Mozart - therefore comes over as disingenuous.

    I haven't heard any remotely sensible arguments why Mozart should be so downgraded given a basic liking of Classical period music in general, and therefore I have doubts about how far to trust what you say.

    What I am getting at is that I believe you are simply using Mozart as a whipping boy to represent your basic dislike of the music of that whole era, which you seem reluctant to admit. That being the case, I can't see why you keep sticking your head over the parapet in this that and the other forum to continue making this point. Someone or other is bound to challenge you. I've done it here but nothing like as severely as you were on GMG.

  13. #118
    Senior Member Lukecash12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    This picture exudes with creating power of young and raw half-god whose eyes cast look full of nobility and splendor.
    Precisely, that is the ****ishness he was going after
    Last edited by Krummhorn; Feb-26-2010 at 18:14.
    "Your mathematics are correct, but your physics are abominable..." Einstein

  14. #119
    Senior Member World Violist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,334
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    The problem with all this is that, unlike other music periods, the Classical period is determined by the presence of a few major characters and Mozart was chief among them. With the Baroque period, while J S Bach was a very important figure, there were sufficient others to make it viable without him. The same applies with regard to the Romantic period, but even more so.

    Mozart's music is not so different from that of other composers of the time except that it was generally far better in the opinion of the vast majority of people who enjoy that era. For anyone to say that they like the Classical era but dislike Mozart - not simply that Mozart is not their favourite Classical composer, but that they positively dislike Mozart - therefore comes over as disingenuous.

    I haven't heard any remotely sensible arguments why Mozart should be so downgraded given a basic liking of Classical period music in general, and therefore I have doubts about how far to trust what you say.

    What I am getting at is that I believe you are simply using Mozart as a whipping boy to represent your basic dislike of the music of that whole era, which you seem reluctant to admit. That being the case, I can't see why you keep sticking your head over the parapet in this that and the other forum to continue making this point. Someone or other is bound to challenge you. I've done it here but nothing like as severely as you were on GMG.
    What I'm confused about is why Mozart must be the poster child of the classical era? Sure, he's considered the best by the vast majority of people, but "vast majority" just doesn't mean anything. How can it? It's just the conclusion a lot of people have come to, but what about the rest of us? We might not be "the vast majority" of people. So what? There's no point in going on about this; Tapkaara and I just don't like Mozart as much as Haydn. There really isn't much more to say about it. Why try to?
    You get a frog in your throat, you sound hoarse.

  15. #120
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by World Violist View Post
    There's no point in going on about this; Tapkaara and I just don't like Mozart as much as Haydn. There really isn't much more to say about it. Why try to?
    It would be perfectly respectable for anyone to say that they "... don't like Mozart as much as Haydn", as you have done. But that's not what is being stated by Tapkaara, is it? He is saying that he positively dislikes Mozart, but quite likes Haydn and and a few others. In fact, on all of his missions to set forth this viewpoint (I've seen them in several places) there has never been any mention of Haydn, etc. It has been simply that he dislikes Mozart intensely.

    The reason I am pursuing this is because I'm fed up listening to these same old prejudices popping up in various threads. I don't especially like Sibelius or Mahler but I don't keep going on about it, in thread after thread, or in one forum after another. As he has admitted, the same thing was done on GMG last Summer and he got his head bitten off by a few smart characters over there. Now he's here again thinking that no-one will dare challenge his opinions because T-C is somehow different, and won't allow such things to take place here.

Page 8 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Robert Schumann - great composer??
    By Jaime77 in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: May-14-2013, 08:59
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: Feb-02-2013, 16:09
  3. Replies: 41
    Last Post: Mar-30-2009, 10:36
  4. Record Valuation Help...
    By oldpiman in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun-07-2008, 10:35

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •