Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: RYM thread....

  1. #1
    Super Moderator jhar26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,444

    Default RYM thread....

    .....for your entertainment. It might be of some interest because most of the members there are people who are into genres like rock, jazz and (for lack of a better word) 'alternative' music - not so much top 40 oriented stuff. It's quite shocking how clueless some of these people are. Most of them have after all a serious interest in music (albeit not classical music). I probably made a mistake getting involved.

    http://rateyourmusic.com/board_messa...how=20&start=0
    Martha doesn't signal when the orchestra comes in, she's just pursing her lips..

  2. #2
    Air
    Air is offline
    Moderator Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,197
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Interesting read, Gaston.

    No harm done I feel. At most, you raised awareness among these folks that there's a whole other genre out there, and that it's far from dead. As long as classical music fans, musicians, cinema, and even the media continues to send out these subliminal messages to the wider audience, the future of classical music is still bright. And the fact that there are other classical fans on the site only increases this motive to go "discover what it is all about". Except among teenagers, I believe that Classical is one of the most respected genres of music out there, even if it is difficult (perhaps a bit enigmatic) to many.
    "Summit or death, either way, I win" ~R. Schumann

  3. #3
    Super Moderator jhar26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Air View Post
    Interesting read, Gaston.

    No harm done I feel. At most, you raised awareness among these folks that there's a whole other genre out there, and that it's far from dead. As long as classical music fans, musicians, cinema, and even the media continues to send out these subliminal messages to the wider audience, the future of classical music is still bright. And the fact that there are other classical fans on the site only increases this motive to go "discover what it is all about". Except among teenagers, I believe that Classical is one of the most respected genres of music out there, even if it is difficult (perhaps a bit enigmatic) to many.
    They are to be pitied really, because they don't know what they are missing, and in most cases it's only prejudice that is holding them back.
    Martha doesn't signal when the orchestra comes in, she's just pursing her lips..

  4. #4
    Air
    Air is offline
    Moderator Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,197
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhar26 View Post
    They are to be pitied really, because they don't know what they are missing, and in most cases it's only prejudice that is holding them back.
    Sometimes, the stereotype of the classical "snob" really gets on my nerves. I mean, isn't that a bit hypocritical?
    "Summit or death, either way, I win" ~R. Schumann

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    2,846
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    I don't for a moment think that people who (for probably dubious reasons) hate/dislike classical music are missing out on something, as it's a judgment I can't make. I am fully aware that I am prejudiced against practically all non-classical genres, but I'm proud (or stupid) enough to declare it because classical music, as a well-distinguished form of art, entirely consumes me, and I don't feel like I need anything else for musical nourishment because there is always something new to explore, or something old to return to. Thus, for all I know, people who exclusively listen to other genres may also feel a sense of emotional and intellectual completeness; I don't believe that classical music is the only genre that can provide such feelings (although I can't for the life of me understand how the other genres manage it if they do!).

    What is tragic, however, is to see that people can be so derisive and dismissive of anything that is associated with 'high' culture or art. I can understand why some people behave in that manner, because they forge for themselves an anti-snobbery identity (even though something like classical music shouldn't be bound to class prejudices), but to actually be repulsed by the word 'art' seems terrible to me. To not want to explore humanity through artistic endeavour seems to me to be inhuman. At the very least, it's a waste of a transient (and afterlifeless) existence. :/
    CameraEye likes this.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator jhar26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polednice View Post
    I don't for a moment think that people who (for probably dubious reasons) hate/dislike classical music are missing out on something, as it's a judgment I can't make. I am fully aware that I am prejudiced against practically all non-classical genres, but I'm proud (or stupid) enough to declare it because classical music, as a well-distinguished form of art, entirely consumes me, and I don't feel like I need anything else for musical nourishment because there is always something new to explore, or something old to return to. Thus, for all I know, people who exclusively listen to other genres may also feel a sense of emotional and intellectual completeness; I don't believe that classical music is the only genre that can provide such feelings (although I can't for the life of me understand how the other genres manage it if they do!).

    What is tragic, however, is to see that people can be so derisive and dismissive of anything that is associated with 'high' culture or art. I can understand why some people behave in that manner, because they forge for themselves an anti-snobbery identity (even though something like classical music shouldn't be bound to class prejudices), but to actually be repulsed by the word 'art' seems terrible to me. To not want to explore humanity through artistic endeavour seems to me to be inhuman. At the very least, it's a waste of a transient (and afterlifeless) existence. :/
    It's not so much the fact that some people don't like classical music that annoys me. It's that they try to defend their position by coming up with arguments that make no sense whatsoever.

    Personally I listen to other types of music as well - jazz, pop/rock, musicals - lots of different stuff actually. Classical music takes up about 75 or 80% of the time I spend listening to music though. I could live without popular music (but why should I?), but I couldn't live without classical.
    Martha doesn't signal when the orchestra comes in, she's just pursing her lips..

  7. #7
    Super Moderator jhar26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Air View Post
    Sometimes, the stereotype of the classical "snob" really gets on my nerves. I mean, isn't that a bit hypocritical?
    Extremely hypocritical, because I've come across many more snobs on popular music forums than on classical ones, despite the fact that I spend more time on classical forums.
    Martha doesn't signal when the orchestra comes in, she's just pursing her lips..

  8. #8
    Senior Member PetrB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhar26 View Post
    .....for your entertainment. It might be of some interest because most of the members there are people who are into genres like rock, jazz and (for lack of a better word) 'alternative' music - not so much top 40 oriented stuff. It's quite shocking how clueless some of these people are. Most of them have after all a serious interest in music (albeit not classical music). I probably made a mistake getting involved.

    http://rateyourmusic.com/board_messa...how=20&start=0
    Me, I don't think I would have dropped in on what was so clearly a happening train wreck, though I suppose that can be 'one kind of fun.'

    I do envy the relative freedom on that forum to say something like 'f____ off.'

    There are times and places, if fundamental Anglo-Saxon swear words are usually held in reserve, where they are at times, THE Most Suitable Response :-)
    Last edited by PetrB; Sep-02-2012 at 10:16.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Crudblud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,537
    Blog Entries
    13

    Default

    I use RYM but I'm not involved in the community in any way, I tried to get in to the message boards but the majority of people there are very "indie" minded, which pretty much excludes me.

  10. #10
    Moderator Huilunsoittaja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA, Mid-Atlantic Region
    Posts
    2,895
    Blog Entries
    141

    Default

    It's amazing how much audacity people have to talk that dirty on the internet. They feel too safe, and I doubt many talk that bad so in real life. Then again, maybe some do.
    "Before I became the director [of the St. Petersburg Conservatory] I knew the treble clef and the bass clef, now I know the wrench too." - Glazunov
    Join TC's Official Russian Composer Fanclub!

    If you like to listen to and share music, join me at plug.dj's official classical room!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Crudblud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,537
    Blog Entries
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huilunsoittaja View Post
    It's amazing how much audacity people have to talk that dirty on the internet. They feel too safe, and I doubt many talk that bad so in real life. Then again, maybe some do.
    Most of my friends swear like sailors. If anything, I swear much more in person than I do on the internet.
    Last edited by Crudblud; Sep-03-2012 at 02:30.

  12. #12
    Moderator Huilunsoittaja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA, Mid-Atlantic Region
    Posts
    2,895
    Blog Entries
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crudblud View Post
    Most of my friends swear like sailors. If anything, I swear much more in person than I do on the internet.
    Well thank you for using good judgement and not using foul language here.
    "Before I became the director [of the St. Petersburg Conservatory] I knew the treble clef and the bass clef, now I know the wrench too." - Glazunov
    Join TC's Official Russian Composer Fanclub!

    If you like to listen to and share music, join me at plug.dj's official classical room!

  13. #13
    Senior Member Crudblud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,537
    Blog Entries
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huilunsoittaja View Post
    Well thank you for using good judgement and not using foul language here.
    I've used it here quite a few times, but most of it gets filtered.

    I'm just wondering what you have against swearing? I ask because from my perspective they're just words, and I don't attach any special status to them.

  14. #14
    Senior Member neoshredder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,873

    Default

    Nothing wrong with swearing, tattoos, piercings, and etc but they don't look (and sound) too attractive. Plus there are kids on this site. We don't want this site to become R rated. Set a good example for the young ones.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Crudblud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,537
    Blog Entries
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neoshredder View Post
    Nothing wrong with swearing, tattoos, piercings, and etc but they don't look (and sound) too attractive. Plus there are kids on this site. We don't want this site to become R rated. Set a good example for the young ones.
    I'm not going to start swearing any more than I usually do, I'm just trying to better understand some other members of the forum by asking questions.

    Also, lumping swearing in with tattoos and piercings... now that's offensive!
    Ravndal likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The I'm Addicted To Bartok Thread
    By Mirror Image in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: Jul-11-2012, 05:01
  2. The I'm Addicted To Tchaikovsky Thread
    By Mirror Image in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: Nov-22-2010, 22:45
  3. The I'm Addicted To Brahms Thread
    By Mirror Image in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Jun-23-2009, 01:22
  4. Question on new thread for Music & Music Theory Books
    By vertciel in forum Site Feedback & Technical Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct-03-2007, 03:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •