Classical Music Forum banner

What are you working on right now.

180K views 1K replies 270 participants last post by  Rasa 
#1 ·
Just curious which pieces everyone's learning.

For me it is:

Brahms, 2nd Rhapsody
Chopin, étude op. 25n2
Bach, WTC1 P&F 23 in G sharp minor
Bartok, Allegro Barbaro

The Allegro Barbaro is pretty epic win. It's easier then it sounds/looks, until you get to the good tempi. then its a fun game to practice the displacements.

#615 ·
Ok last time I posted here I was in the beginning stages of Bach's WTC Book 1 C Major Fugue. For the first 6 or 8 measures I thought I would be able to do it but I have since given up the piece, mainly due to the incredibly awkward hand positions required. I'm not sure if all fugues require such strange and unnatural hand positions but this one was too much. I have a history of degenerated tendons and weak wrists so I guess I need to stick to pieces with relatively normal hand positions for the most part. I know everyone says to "relax, relax, relax!!" but apparently that is much easier said than done when it looks like I'm tying my left hand fingers in a knot trying to play the notes.

So I've moved on to the incredibly beautiful and tranquil "Der Dichter Spricht" from Schumann's Kinderszenen

#616 ·
Der Dichter spricht is so beautiful! enjoy

Do you have a teacher? People with problems like yours can benefit a lot from working with a teacher who is experienced at dealing with injuries and focuses a lot on physical movement. I can't tell you how much two such qualified teachers have helped me.

#620 ·
Brahms Intermezzo in A Major, op. 118 no. 2

Right now I'm at the section with triplets in the left hand, quarter/eights in the right (about the mid-way point). I'm not a trained pianist, but my parents had one in the house growing up (I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV ;))

I'm starting to take it more seriously. I was dreading that part because I feared I would just not be able to pull it off, or wrap my brain around it. But I'm having fun with it and it's coming along!

#621 ·
I've been working on Lisztz's Lieberstraum n.3 for the past 4 months, and once you get past the cadenzas and some tricky technique requirements, it's such a wonderfuly fluid piece to play! The interpretation possibilities are absolutely endless, I've begun to explore them now! I'll be performing this piece December this year, I get nervous just thinking about it! I hope it'll go well. :)

Reactions: Ravndal
#688 ·
So close to being done this now, then I'll be on to Mikrokosmos Book III, once I'm done that a 2 part invention by Bach, then Ravel's Prelude and then Satie's Gymnopedie, after that onto bigger and bolder things such as Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier, more Ravel, some Debussy, Scarlatti and Rodrigo.

#625 ·
Chopin Nocturnes! My favorites so far are

Op. 72 No. 1
Op. 55, No. 1
love those above two, trying to get them just right and then
Op. 9 No. 1 I can play but feel a little disconnected with. trying to fix that
Op. 9 No. 2 is newer to me but I love it
Op. 48, No. 1 is newer to me but I love it

All so relaxing

#632 ·
Beethoven bagatelles Op. 33. It's a different side of Beethoven from what I know best.
Faure barcarolles 4, 6 and 12, which are so beautiful. The outer and inner sections of all three are like the sun and moon, warm and sunny and stable and then obscure and shadowy with beautifully unstable harmony.
Chopin Op 10 no 4, still, the bar keeps getting raised as to quality and I'm not in a special hurry to switch etudes.

#634 ·
I am currently studying Scriabin Etude op. 42 no. 5 and Liszt's Un sospiro. These pieces require intense studying and I wish I had more free time to study them as an amateur pianist. After having studied them, I plan to study Alkan's Etude op. 35 no. 3; but it kind of scares me, especially the middle section where left and right hand play successive chords quite rapidly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.