Classical Music Forum banner

What am I missing?

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Rondo 
#1 ·
I have reached a point where I would like to expand my horizons a little. Here is a list of what I listen to right now. I would appreciate any suggestions for expanding the list by adding some new composers and their pieces (still some major ones left out) as well as adding not very well known pieces by the composers I already mentioned. I think I am still missing some major milestones. I am open to all instruments and vocals. However, I am very choosy regarding the mood. I prefer the minor key although I did discover some pieces in major that I actually liked. In general, I like dark/nostalgic/sad/romantic/passionate/powerful/subtle/energetic. I strongly distaste "cheerful". So here it goes - please add your suggestions:

Bach
Beethoven
Berlioz
Brahms
Bruckner
Debussy
Dvorak
Gesualdo
Grieg
Handel
Holst
Mendelssohn
Mozart
Mussorgsky
Orff
Rachmaninoff
Rameau
Ramirez
Rodrigo
Schubert
Shostakovich
Sibelius
Verdi
Vivaldi

See less See more
G
#2 · (Edited)
I think I am still missing some major milestones.
Indeed!

I've added a few tidbits to your list, cunningly differentiated typographically from your original:

ASHLEY
AVRAM
Bach
BARTOK
Beethoven
Berlioz
BIBER
Brahms
Bruckner
CAGE
COPLAND
CZERNOWIN
Debussy
DIMIZIO
DUMITRESCU
Dvorak
FELDMAN
FERRARI
FERREYRA
GABRIELI
GERHARD
Gesualdo
GOEBBELS
Grieg
GUBAIDULINA
Handel
HARTMANN
HENZE
HODGKINSON
Holst
IVES
JANACEK
KAGEL
KALINNIKOV
KRENEK
LACHENMANN
LIGETI
MARCLAY
Mendelssohn
MESSIAEN
Mozart
MUMMA
Mussorgsky
OLIVEROS
Orff
Rachmaninoff
RADULESCU
Rameau
Ramirez
RAVEL
RIHM
ROUSSEL
Rodrigo
SAINT-SAENS
Schubert
Shostakovich
Sibelius
STRAUSS
STRAVINSKY
VARESE
Verdi
Vivaldi
WALTON
XENAKIS
ZIMMERMAN
ZORN

Just a few more...

#3 ·
I have reached a point where I would like to expand my horizons a little. Here is a list of what I listen to right now. I would appreciate any suggestions for expanding the list by adding some new composers and their pieces (still some major ones left out) as well as adding not very well known pieces by the composers I already mentioned. I think I am still missing some major milestones. I am open to all instruments and vocals. However, I am very choosy regarding the mood. I prefer the minor key although I did discover some pieces in major that I actually liked. In general, I like dark/nostalgic/sad/romantic/passionate/powerful/subtle/energetic. I strongly distaste "cheerful". So here it goes - please add your suggestions:
I'll just reply to say that I feel exactly the same way. I mainly enjoy strong/dramatic/powerful/etc. music and disdain the happy stuff. Mendelssohn is one of those happy composers that I really just can't listen to. That's another reason I don't really like Baroque music. MOST of it is happy with the damned harpsicord. The instrument could not be made any happier :angry:

#5 ·
Ralph Vaughan-Williams. Start with Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis. It may seem slow at first but it pays off. Also Sinfonia Antartica [and yes, it's spelled "Antartica" not "Antarctica" for some reason] is pretty amazing if you like mysterious faraway wordless soprano as I do. Better wait until summer for that though

#7 · (Edited)
I prefer the minor key although I did discover some pieces in major that I actually liked. In general, I like dark/nostalgic/sad/romantic/passionate/powerful/subtle/energetic. I strongly distaste "cheerful".

These should press all those buttons. Deeply nostalgic, sad, passionate, subtle, and not avoiding the dark side - all those things. Some heart-piercing tunes. And absolutely no trace of the jolliness you so dislike.

Cheap, too - for two CDs:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgar-Violin-Concerto-Quartet-Quintet/dp/B0001ZM8VI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1230630298&sr=1-2

Footnote: Also, perfectly suited for anyone who uses Turner's Sheerness as an avatar, I would think.

#9 ·
As is typical for my participation in threads like this, I do try to make an effort to hone in on the tastes of the original poster, and formulate recommendations with that in mind.

As you mentioned Rachmaninoff & Debussy, I have to conclude that you're not averse to solo piano music. If that's the case, Chopin is a glaring omission. "Cheerful" definitely does NOT come to mind when thinking of Chopin.

The citing of Rachmaninoff & Shostakovich brings me to Stravinsky (previously mentioned by some) as well as Prokofiev. If someone's image of Tchaikovsky centers around candy-cane visions of The Nutcracker, one might get a different perspective from the Pathétique symphony.

I'll add to Atabey's recommendation of Mahler. If you have the attention span for Bruckner, you have the attention span for Mahler. Oh, yes, and do try some tenative steps into Wagner (you can sample excerpts first, if the whole "music-drama" thing seems like too big a mouthful).:)

#10 ·
Thanks for lots of great recommendations, I'll check them out shortly. Actually, I also like baroque - it is not all joliness, some of the pieces like Rameau's "La Timida" greatly fit into the subtle and emotionally intense category while also bearing a touch of dance and movement which is something I particularly like about baroque. And I do like the harpsichord - it has a very interesting sound which does not always have to be jolly at all. Therefore, I would highly appreciate baroque recommendations as well.

#11 · (Edited)
Therefore, I would highly appreciate baroque recommendations as well.
jhar26 and I have been creating such a fuss about the '200 years of music at Versailles' box that you're probably sick of the noise we've been making. But just in case you missed it (perhaps holidaying on Mars?), some of our gobsmacked responses in this thread might be worth looking at. Some of it just might be a touch too jolly for you, but a lot of it is heart-bleedingly beautiful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.