Classical Music Forum banner
77K views 333 replies 110 participants last post by  Richannes Wrahms 
#1 ·
Ligeti anyone?

Today I decided to listen to some pieces I hadn't listened to in a long time, and there he was, in the bottom of huge pile of CDs and scores, Ligeti. Right now I'm listening to his Chamber concerto for 13 instrumentalists and I realize: I like him even more than before.

Other important Ligeti suggestions:

-Melodien

-Piano concerto

-Atmospheres

-Lontano

-San Francisco Polyphony

-Musica Ricercata

-Etudes pour piano (3 volumes)

-both his String Quartets

-Lux Aeterna

-Apparitions

-Violin concerto

See less See more
#215 · (Edited)
Poeme Symphonique

I have many great memories of witnessing Ligeti performances, done by folks like Salonen, Boulez, Aimard, the Arditti SQ, et al., but my favorite performance was one that was not done by professional musicians. It took place at the Cleveland Museum of Art, in front of a desolate and haunting painting by German artist Anselm Kiefer titled "Lot's Wife;" the painting on a lead foil canvas appears to depict an abandoned rail yard: http://www.clevelandart.org/exhibcef/consexhib/illusmag/KIEFER_1.jpg

The musical work was Ligeti's Poeme Symphonique. The metronomes were started in unison by about 100 non-musicians. We sat and watched the metronomes slowly "die out," until only a few and then only one persistent one were left. Seeing the work in front of the Kiefer painting was incredibly poignant. It was impossible for me not to think of the work in existential terms, or in biographical terms (e.g., Ligeti's incredible story of survival and escape from under two brutal regimes), but also in historical terms, in relation to Germany's history, and the cattle cars that transported European Jews and other targeted groups to concentration camps. Suddenly, a work that had always seemed a joke to me took on a depth I had not imagined it having. A work that began by sounding like the clickety clack of a train riding on rails became at the end the sound of a human pulse, or human heart, struggling to remain alive amidst an inhuman environment, while the rest of us, the world, sat and watched and did nothing.

I don't think I was the only person in the audience who was moved by what was seen and heard.

#220 ·
I have many great memories of witnessing Ligeti performances, done by folks like Salonen, Boulez, Aimard, the Arditti SQ, et al., but my favorite performance was one that was not done by professional musicians. It took place at the Cleveland Museum of Art, in front of a desolate and haunting painting by German artist Anselm Kiefer titled "Lot's Wife;" the painting on a lead foil canvas appears to depict an abandoned rail yard: http://www.clevelandart.org/exhibcef/consexhib/illusmag/KIEFER_1.jpg

The musical work was Ligeti's Poeme Symphonique. The metronomes were started in unison by about 100 non-musicians. We sat and watched the metronomes slowly "die out," until only a few and then only one persistent one were left. Seeing the work in front of the Kiefer painting was incredibly poignant. It was impossible for me not to think of the work in existential terms, or in biographical terms (e.g., Ligeti's incredible story of survival and escape from under two brutal regimes), but also in historical terms, in relation to Germany's history, and the cattle cars that transported European Jews and other targeted groups to concentration camps. Suddenly, a work that had always seemed a joke to me took on a depth I had not imagined it having. A work that began by sounding like the clickety clack of a train riding on rails became at the end the sound of a human pulse, or human heart, struggling to remain alive amidst an inhuman environment, while the rest of us, the world, sat and watched and did nothing.

I don't think I was the only person in the audience who was moved by what was seen and heard.
Very interesting interpretation :eek: I've often listened to it like it was rain

#226 · (Edited)
Pronunciations are fun. Years ago, I said "Penderecki" just the way it looks...to a Polish physician who loved classical music of all people. She quickly chided me, saying, "You're not even close." I laughed, she didn't. Soon after, I looked up the correct pronunciation, and said "Holy ****" to myself. I couldn't remember that without rehearsing it, and I wasn't about to do that. Long story short, I still say it the same way and don't care who likes it.

I did finally make an effort to say Boo-lezzzzzzz. Instead of Boo-lay.

LIH-gheh-tee

http://iowapublicradio.org/about-ipr/dictionary.html

LOLOL :lol::lol:

#239 ·
What an amazing video!:

With this visual realization, Ligeti's ideas of continuous transformation and interaction of the inner voices in order to achieve, at the surface, a gradual change in the general texture, can be easily understood.
You can actually see the Escher-like structure of the music!:

Attachments

#243 · (Edited)
I am looking for a recording (preferably already in mp3 format because I am impatient) of the Requiem -- the complete work. The bit used in 2001: a space odyssey is spine tingling, but I get the impression that is only a small portion of it. Is there more?

I would also like the Concerto for Chamber orchestra (I believe there is a record by Reinbert de Leeuw?). If these are on the same album that would be superb!

I am frustrated searching for works on Amazon and on my Rhapsody account because they think all the piece titles are "Andante," "Allegro molto," etc. :mad: I suppose I could go through Allmusic . . .

On second thought - it looks like they are all on The Ligeti Project boxed set from Teldec, $31.84 from Amazon. Maybe I should go that route.

#244 ·
The Ligeti Project has the Requiem, the Chamber Concerto, the Piano, Violin and Hamburg concertos, Atmosphères, the Cello Concerto, Nouvelles Aventures, Artikulation, Musica Ricercata... it's a good collection ;)

Reactions: chalkpie and Weston
#248 ·
Has anyone written a good book on the life and music of Ligeti? I found a few titles at Amazon by authors Toop, Duchesneau, and Steinitz. All are quite expensive. If any of these authors have more than a superficial understanding of the man and his music, I'd appreciate your opinions. Thanks!

#249 · (Edited)
I want to buy "György Ligeti: Of Foreign Lands and Strange Sounds", by Louise Duchesneau (Editor), Wolfgang Marx (Editor).
Duchesneau was Ligeti's assistant in his last 20 years.
The book is a collection of short essays, each one written by a person very close to Ligeti (students, friends, colleagues, etc.). Each essay covers a specific topic.
You can have a free preview in Google Books: http://books.google.com.ar/books/about/György_Ligeti.html?id=g90j-4aTPuwC&redir_esc=y
I found it very interesting (can be a little technical sometimes, though). Sometimes you can feel the force of his personality as if you were talking with him. No idealization, just the composer's personality as was perceived by the people who was close to him.
But the book is very expensive!. I don't know when I'm going to buy it.
The review (in the comments section) in Amazon is pretty accurate.