Classical Music Forum banner

Best Band?

36K views 182 replies 107 participants last post by  EddieRUKiddingVarese 
#1 ·
What's your favourite band? Mine's Dire Straits. Do any of you play a modern instrument?

#65 ·
I don't want to argue with anyone... sorry if it looked like I did. I just wanted to give a clear reply to your rude words, nothing more. End of discussion.

If you think Liszt is not emotional, you are gravely, terribly wrong. One of the most emotional composers this world has ever known. But he is surely not the only one I like, you know - there are also Elgar, Sibelius, Beethoven, Shostakovich, Tippett, and many more.

I have nothing against people listening to Rammstein or anything else, rest assured of that. But you are definitely not the one to tell me whether I'm 'constipated' or not. You don't know me, I don't know you. You won't tell me what are my emotions like, because you have never seen me in your life.

Yeah, typos. Many of them.

#70 ·
While classical music is my first love, and I majored in music composition, I am really more a rock musician than a classical one (I haven't written any "classical" music in ages, most of it for various chamber ensembles).

I sing (my concentration at uni), play guitar & bass, play keyboards and tinker with lots of electronics. About half of the stuff Angie and I do in our band Joker has string orchestra parts though, something I've not done before (they aren't real strings, but I play the parts individually & layer many parts to get the greatest amount of realism-- I love digital technology!). Like Brian Eno, I consider the recording studio an instrument. I also do a bit of ambient music when I'm feeling a bit experimental.

My top three favourite rock bands are (in this order): The Beatles, U2 and Sigur Ros.

Some rock music is good, and great as well, for various reasons, but classical will always have a very special place in my heart-- there are certain emotional depths that rock music (usually) can't reach.

~ josh

Reactions: samurai
#71 ·
Please correct me if I'm wrong, Violin_Frenzy, but I believe the "it will blow the classical music out of your butt!" was a direct quote from the film School of Rock, right?

I certainly know very little about classical music, though I'm not so deaf to the absolute excellence of it as some of my peers may be. Of course, most of my peers are even deaf to the kinds of music I enjoy so we can't depend on their opinions. I love the Beatles and the Who. There are many others, of course, but those are the two I don't think I could live without.

For those who can appreciate the work of orchestras and whatnot, how do you feel about songs like Eleanor Rigby, A Day In the Life, the french horn solo in For No One, etc? Talking to other Beatles fans, we don't really get into the classical music elements of some of these songs and I would be interested in what the people here think or just about classical music in popular music in general.

#72 ·
For those who can appreciate the work of orchestras and whatnot, how do you feel about songs like Eleanor Rigby, A Day In the Life, the french horn solo in For No One, etc? Talking to other Beatles fans, we don't really get into the classical music elements of some of these songs and I would be interested in what the people here think or just about classical music in popular music in general.
Good question-- I hope you don't mind, but I'll put that as a seperate thread? :)

UPDATE: New thread started HERE

~josh

p.s. Lennon, as you can tell by my screen name, I'm a Bealtes fan too! ;)

#75 ·
I don't know if Goldfrapp has been mentioned since there are five pages...to lazy to read them all lol But they are great. One of my favourite bands of course is The Tragically Hip. I enjoy pretty much any kind of music except Jazz and Hip Hop/rap. Oh and I don't like country music either. I enjoy from Tracey Chapman and Simply Red to Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie. I also have a CD that I love with fiddle music on it. It's from Canada but I'm guessing it has it's roots in traditional Irish music. Eclectic I guess.

#80 ·
Living Colour were a great black rock band. Love Rears Its Ugly Head got me addicted. It used to annoy me how people would confuse them with the US tv show In Living Colour :D

#83 ·
Not my fav. band, but has anyone heard of Feist? Their album 'The Reminder' is such a good one. Her voice is amazing, the lyrics are interesting, she incorporates odd instruments, and her beats are obsessive. Not to mention the music videos of "I feel it all" and "1234." Give them look on YouTube.

#85 · (Edited)
Blind Melon were a great rock group and Shannon Hoon produced some amazing melodys. I saw them at the Milton keynes Bowl supporting G N R.

Shannon kept resting his foot on the autocue until it fell 10 feet off the stage and smashed in to pieces :D

#86 ·
Creedence Clearwater Revival <---the ultimate - followed closely by Queen.

Reactions: clavichorder
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.