Classical Music Forum banner

Rate the Metal piece/song above you thread.

8K views 68 replies 14 participants last post by  Metalkitsune 
#1 ·
Ok, ok. I know I keep making threads like this where you rate music of various genres and post a piece of your own, but I can't help it. They're by far my favorite types of threads because you get to see exactly what other people's tastes are and be immersed in stuff that you may or may not have listened to otherwise.

So that said, I know that there are some metalheads here, though there are some who abhor the genre and everything about it... the "do you like metal music" poll ended up being about half and half unless I'm remembering wrong. So yes, bring forth your favorite metal pieces/songs to be weighed and rated and rate the one directly above you starting with this one.

#2 ·
I don't mind, it's quite a lovely thread :)

Never have I listened to Opeth, but I will rate them an 8. The whole structure of the song is lovely and all the mixing styles in one, but it's too long!!! It tends to get boring at one point, I find.

I will bring a heavy metal band from my own country, of course, not that big as Opeth but yeah... give them a listen.

#4 · (Edited)
Pseudo-metal for the Hot Topic crowd. They got big selling stupid teutonic stereotypes and misogyny, and are very derivative of Laibach. 0 in my book

Wicked_one: The production's a little too modern (unorganic and Meshuggah-ish), it doesn't really jive with their traditional metal style. Singing's a bit strained too. Not my thing, but always nice supporting overlooked local stuff. Maybe they can work out their issues.

#5 ·
Very interesting... I've not quite heard anything quite like this before. I really like some parts. The beginning was very well put together and I liked the eastern vibe and the jazzy keyboard solo parts in the end are great. However as far as the vocals go, I just really can't get into black metal vocals and some parts of the song sounded like the fresh prince soundtrack accidentally got mixed in there, which in this case wasn't to my taste. Ill give it a 7/10 for the parts I liked as well as the fact that it was so different.

Some great stoner/doom here.

#6 ·
Awesome jam!...for a little while there I almost thought it wasn't true metal just because of the sounds used but right away the approach to the music and the playing itself is all metal, it's just that it's refreshing to hear it without heavy distortion...these guys just use overdrive and it sounds super 70's style with a cello...very nice!...thanks for showing these guys to me, i'd never even heard of em...I give it a 9 just from the first slooshy

#7 ·
Yeah man, they're definitely metal in mentality and riffs, they're heavy but without the need to use massive amounts of distortion, I love em.

10/10 for call of ktulu not only because it's my favorite metallical instrumental, but because it brings back so many memories. Metallica was my gateway band into metal.

Here's my favorite of their covers and the first neo-classical esque metal song I ever heard... If you listen you'll notice that the opening riff is taken from Holst's "the planets" (Mars I believe)

#8 · (Edited)
8/10 It doesn't get much better than Metallica, but there is still a little bit of residual thrash metal in that piece, at least in the solos. Metallica was not the first metal band to use Mars. Rumor has it that Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler were fooling around with the Mars riff when they came up with the awesome Black Sabbath riff, arguably the first metal song.

Speaking of Iommi and Sabbath, here's a band that goes father into Iommi territory than even he ever dared. It's so bottom heavy, watch your speakers!

I can't say I like the vocals of this band, but I LOVE their downtuning.

@Sofronitsky Metal is not stupid -- it's just that many of its fans are (not all though, by a long shot). I remember reading about a musicologist who found Black Sabbath's music so modal he was able to make an album of Gregorian chants out of their songs, and it worked splendidly. I'm not sure how authentic the exercise was, but I don't think Gregorian chants are stupid.

#9 ·
^Yeah, that was actually a cover of a diamondhead song off of their first album, which it just so happens, was a thrash album. So technically it was diamondhead that used mars, not metallica, but it is true that many metal bands have ripped off the piece though some more successfully than others.

Haha, love me some electric wizard man. I actually have that album on vinyl along with "...come my fanatics"
8.5/10

#12 ·
6/10 I'd need to listen to it more to really decide. I liked the Nightwish piece a lot more.

Dare I post something a little bizarre and only vaguely metal?

Again the vocals a little grating, but this band is very progressive. I discovered them through a progressive rock forum, not through any metal connections, and much of their music is more progressive than metal. Not this piece though. This is kind of disturbing.

#13 · (Edited)
6.5/10 I liked some parts a lot and then really disliked some parts too... BTBAM vocals have always been very grating and annoying to me and that autotune part didn't really do it for me either, but great guitar work and I love their drummer... not that their bassist isn't great too.

Edit: As for Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, I'd have to say that I'm a bit undecided. I liked the guitarwork once again and the vocals were very interesting, but the video was incredibly distracting as well as being (for some reason) one of the more disturbing videos I've seen. :eek: , maybe I'm just tired though. Id say a good 5/10 because I liked about half of the aspects and disliked the other half :cool:

A doom metal band with a double bass and a cello. Very interesting deep stuff.

#18 ·
Reminded me of As I lay dying... very much a metalcore band. To me, metalcore is essentially the pop music of metal and thereofre fairly shallow as far as musicality is concerned. Very catchy stuff but not a whole ton of substance. 6/10 because all that aside I liked it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen again.

This next piece takes a certain kind of person, or a certain taste in music/level of understanding to appreciate so I don't expect it to be for everyone, but here it is anyways.

#20 ·
Haha, sorry. I'm just saying that the piece I posted is an aquired taste I guess. I kind of am an *** in regards to music though, sorry :p
I do apologize if i ruffled your feathers by calling your song a "pop" song though... but that's just my personal opinion and therefore is only of significant value to myself. Feel free to think I'm an idiot ;)

#21 ·
That F.W.T.B.T. was pretty damned awesome!...I liked the intro a lot and the distortion is almost the same as the guy from Rollins used which I like very much; grungy and dirty...thanks for exposing me to something I prolly would've never heard...not extremely musical but the notes that are there create plenty of vibrations...made me think of Einstürzende Neubauten which is one of my favs but not exactly metal so I didn't post

Okay, so you know I like Metallica and this tune came to mind

#23 ·
ok ok i got one... hmm first 6/10 for opeth which is too grungy for me, i don't really like prog metal bands such as opeth, a perfect circle, alice in chains, etc. the only thing i seem to remember from the 90's is radiohead

a heavy metal classic... recently re-uploaded by vevo in the best quality i've seen:

#25 ·
Wow...never been a big Motorhead fan but this is a great tune...definitely an instant favorite of theirs for me...for surprising me that way I give it an 8/10

Now, this band has never really been considered metal but some of the songs on this record are very metal...this is one of my favorites of the album and it really has it all...lyrics, melody, rawness and great musicianship....heard it for the first time in Bayfront Amphitheatre in Downtown Miami in 93 when they opened up for Cypress Hill and Beastie Boys in support of The End of Silence...tell what you think

#27 ·
Why, sure.

Wooooooweeeee!...pretty crazy sounds comin' out of that Les Paul junior!...love the kit...the bass...man, they're chillin'..always been able to enjoy such stuff...not as metal but in it's own thing...10/10

Didn't like the Rollins, eh...prolly my bad...should've put up 'another life' from the same album...anyway,...how 'bout some

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.