Classical Music Forum banner

Lively Dance for the Piano!

5K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  tdc 
#1 ·
I'm in the mood for something that's going to make me move - but, before you modernist folks want to take a jab, I'd like to spend this evening in my Classical/Romantic comfort zone, thank you very much. :p

I was just listening to the first movement from Rachmaninov's Second Suite for Piano, Op. 17, which is a huge bundle of fun, and I'm about to listen to some of Brahms's Hungarian Dances. Can anyone recommend some more pieces down this avenue of not-too-sincere/playful/dance-like.

Solo piano only plz, fnx. ;)

#4 ·
Festive piano, eh?

How about Schumann's Faschingsschwank aus Wien ("Carnival Scenes from Vienna"), op. 26. I own a live recording by Murray Perahia, pretty good.

In the vein of the Hungarian dances, I own a set of Dvorak's Slavonic dances for piano 4 hands. Kindred spirits they were, as you know.

As a bit of a "stretch", I kind of like Liszt's Réminiscences de Don Juan (S. 418), technically demanding, but quite jolly to my ears, anyway.

#5 ·
Several of Grieg's pieces are dances.

Norwegian Dances, Op 35
Symphonic Dances, Op 63, which aren't all fun and games, but lots of fun anyhow
The Holberg Suite, Op 40
Several of the Lyric Pieces are dances, like Op 10 nos 2 and 4; Op 38 nos 4, 5 and 7; Op 47 nos 1, 4 and 6; Op 54 no 2; Op 68 nos 2 and 6; Op 71 nos 1 and 6.
Slåtter (Norwegian peasant dances), Op 72

#18 ·
So I'm driving last night and upon getting to the fourth mvt. of the Beethoven sonata 18 in e-flat I think of this thread...I'm not good with dances and know very little about them in classical (when i do dance it's usually salsa and for the reason listed in the 'do you dance' thread) but to me it seemed you meant something like this...or not...i just thought of a big, crazy vampig jumping up and down on the bench like something out of Looney Tunes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.