Classical Music Forum banner

What happens in your life - Come in and share!

1M views 15K replies 469 participants last post by  starthrower 
#1 ·
I got the idea for this thread from another forum, where it has over 19,000 replies and is still growing. (Admittedly, the other board is significantly bigger than TC.) In this thread, people can share all the happenings of their life that they feel like sharing, be they good or bad, big or small, without the guilt of being an attention-horse. The only rule (which is really more like a "guideline"--there are no rules in music) is that your description of happenings must be kept succinct.

To begin: I drove into town (fifty miles each way) today to rent a cello outfit. It was supposed to include a new 4/4 student's cello, bow, rosin, and case. When I got home and opened the case, however, there was everything but the bow. I am now drowning my sorrows (and embarrassment) with Merlot, Tchaikovsky, and Camembert.

#3 · (Edited)
Finally a thread that is unashamed about this topic. Good idea Kopa. Pleased to hear you were so gung ho about cello that you went and did that, that's a really lame happening, in a better world you would have been rewarded more immediately for your enthusiasm, but things are complicated.

Rule noted.

Community college is going okay, I feel ridiculous for struggling to keep up in my sole class, the homework challenge is ever present and at the forefront. Went cold turkey on my medication five days ago(physical symptoms dizziness, mental symptoms, heightened anxiety, probably as a result from the pressure to stay on more than withdrawals). Cried less than an hour ago after getting a hug from my mom after arguing with her about it, I don't usually get that, not to be sentimental, its just true. Still don't want to take them, but I'm not irrationally obstinate if I start feeling really bad.

Edit, P.S., listened to all the Elliot Carter string quartets today and feel I need to do it again another day.

#4 ·
Community college is going okay, I feel ridiculous for struggling to keep up in my sole class, the homework challenge is ever present and at the forefront. Went cold turkey on my medication five days ago(physical symptoms dizziness, mental symptoms, heightened anxiety, probably as a result from the pressure to stay on more than withdrawals). Cried less than an hour ago after getting a hug from my mom after arguing with her about it, I don't usually get that, not to be sentimental, its just true. Still don't want to take them, but I'm not irrationally obstinate if I start feeling really bad.

Edit, P.S., listened to all the Elliot Carter string quartets today and feel I need to do it again another day.
What class? What medication? :eek:

#5 ·
As much as I would like to express what is happening - I think it dear impossible, my brain encrypts all my memories of things so that I cant recall them when I need to, like right now. :(

#6 · (Edited)
I'm very depressed right now, I don't know what to do with my career (physics), I don't have enthusiasm anymore, I'm tired. I'm dissapointed with my piano pieces (they have cost me a real effort and they are sh*it), my room is a complete chaos (reflecting the chaos in my mind). I want to throw away all the physics and all the piano, I don't know what I want. I'm in a very anxious state. Also I'm tired to be alone, isolation that I made for myself.

#12 ·
Im at work. Not in the mood and have a headache, plus I got back into the country at the airport only a few hours ago this morning.
At least the work is in a comfortable office, with a computer and is interesting enough - plus a decent pay!

#14 ·
I'm at home today. That's the glory of self-employment: yesterday, full craziness as a contract court reporter in federal court in a jury trial, today, no calls for work, so I'm sitting by the phone like a teenage girl after a date hoping it will ring. Tomorrow I'll be somewhere doing something; I won't know until 5:00 tonight.

#15 ·
Been a busy 2 weeks. I moved into a new co-working space downtown. I'm a videographer and the co-working space is filled with other creative types, like graphics designers, photographers and such, so it's nice and stimulating.

My sister and brother-in-law are coming to visit for the weekend. We have a huge Mardi Gras celebration here this weekend, so it should be fun.

#18 ·
have been very busy for a while now, and so have limited my TC to reading posts for a few minutes a day, though I did post on Current Listening earlier this morning. The weather is unremittingly gray (an Edgar Allan Poe day) and it has been that way for at least a week. Beethoven and Carter have been my companions. So, not bad at all. :)

#20 ·
My internet has been unpredictable. I've had other problems too.

I'd just like to find a group of people who share my interests without being pretentious. Remember college? Like that.

Also, I think I'd like to be a ghost looking back at my life rather than a person having to live it.

I'm tired of the laziness of people who really should be ambitious. The world is at their feet; they want to watch TV.

But I'm listening to great music and reading great books and drinking coffee, and that is really almost all that I want from life. A harem would be nice of course, but only if it didn't take too much time away from those pursuits.

#21 ·
I have now arrived at home. The snow and ice is thawing here, and I enjoyed watching all the waterbirds huddle around the holes in the ice. Im getting excited about university later this year after receiving some mail, and am also happy as a new episode of my favourite TV show is coming out tonight.

#22 ·
I moved to Philadelphia (temporarily) almost I month ago. I have been occupied with adjusting to my new life and finding an internship and that is why I have not been on TC much lately. I am living in a three-bedroom apartment with four other people (two men and two women) who are on my program. I have been enjoying living with them even though they are all much more gregarious than I am, which has taken some adjustment. One of the guys plays guitar and has taught me to play a little bit. I've also been discovering a bunch of new (non-classical) music that I like, thanks to my roommates. Two days ago, I began my internship at the Poor People's Economic Human Rights Campaign, which is a grassroots social movement organization with a wide variety of activities. I am working on a blog post about it, so if you click on the link in my signature later today, you can read more about that if you want. I'm not playing piano as much as I'd prefer because the music school where I'm allowed to use practice rooms is two miles from where I live and with work and classes I can't get there every day. But at least I have access to practice rooms. So, my life is very different right now from anything it's been before! Living with people I just met, being in a big city, not being a full-time student... but it's fun. I feel active and purposeful.

#24 ·
@Polednice et al: We're here whenever you need some support.

@Clavichorder: Thank you!

I went back into town today to get that bow, a tuner, and a few other things I forgot yesterday. One of the nice things about living in a small town, as I do, is that there are only two people working in the music store at any given time because they get so few customers. They recognized me when I came in and were very friendly and helpful. I am now celebrating with some strong dubstep.

Another thing: My very first job is going very well. I've started training others already (something usually reserved for those with years of experience). One of my coworkers gave birth early this morning, am I will be taking over her shift (3p-1a on the front desk to help cover the first part of night audit), starting Monday, while she is on maternity leave.

#25 ·
I'm finally home! After 7 months living in Scotland, at the beginning with the goal to become a concert classical guitar player, which I dropped after 2 months when I started listening to CM, and then I decided to become a composer, which I also decided to drop due to the big revelation in my life that music is something that I love very much, but don't consider a passion (and I want economic stability). So now I'm going to try and finish my Psychology studies and I hope I'll find money for some music theory lessons as well. Even if I plan to become a psychologist I will never stop playing.
Oh and I saw my first UFO during the flight.
And I realized that I've been lazy for too long, that it's time to grab my life back and start finishing things.

#27 ·
Meghan, I read your blog and hope to keep up.

Contrary to other threads, I am happy to be married (29 years) and at this point especially appreciative of economic benefits of partnership. I supported him while he was re-training for a new career about 15 years ago, and now he's supporting me while I've been unemployed almost 6 months. It allows me to be much more choosy about to which jobs I apply (a narrower commute radius). Although our income has taken a bit hit, we're not struggling because everything is paid for except my son's college tuition.

#28 ·
I’m coming to the end of a lovely week off work, I don’t mind my job but I do night work, so its been nice getting the body clock back to normal.
Doing a bit of decorating, practicing my Recorder, working out, listening to music and internetting.
All inside stuff as it’s bitterly cold in the UK at the moment with quite a bit of snow.
Not really looking forward to going back to work on Sunday!

#29 ·
I've had a reasonably good day, being off work until Tuesday. I emailed my brother back and forth a couple of times last night about the impending snow, and how much we were likely to get. (The weather here has been very cold). I slept late, went out for lunch, then walked into Oxford city centre to see if I could get the new Albert Roussel CD, just out on Naxos. The local classical music shop had it, so I bought it, walked back home, and then listened to Debussy instead of it, while playing Scrabble Plus against my computer. I made one of my best ever "J" words, JOINERY, and won the game.

That's about it, really.

Reactions: Op.123
#30 ·
Laid out the first set of rhythms for the horn section in a new piece, next is the inverse set of rhythms, and it's actually looking like the allocated number of bars for the group it belongs to will be completely filled by a full run through the PIRRI sequence.

Yes, my life is really so boring according to common standards that work is what happens in my life, but it isn't happening in a place of business so it doesn't count. Still a deadbeat!

#31 · (Edited)
My life has been pretty streamlined lately. Just going to school, coming home and feeding my internet addiction, wash, rinse, repeat.

I have been bringing all my friends to my favorite Thai restaurant in Seattle. They are a small restaurant and since the economy sucks I definitely do not want them to go under. So thank you friends for your help! :D