Classical Music Forum banner

what happens to this group?

6K views 66 replies 18 participants last post by  myaskovsky2002 
#1 ·
I noticed (maybe I am wrong) that people are participating less...So do I. When I was trying to get fun :devil: I had warnings...always from the same guy...I am not afraid though...I feel unguilty...of any charges...I am a nice guy and very friendly.

Martin

#14 ·
I have had the feeling of fewer interesting threads as well, but there seemed to be more posts than before. I think you're exactly correct that we make our community or forum. If others post threads that do not interest me, I can easily skip them. It's harder to look through the unread new posts and not see something of interest.

Thus, it is incumbent on those of us who seek more intellectual stimulation to start threads that will fascinate, rile up, challenge, and otherwise grab our attention.

#13 · (Edited)
That's where you're all wrong. It is impossible to exhaust all the topics simply because the Laws of Incompleteness forbid such nonsense.

I prove it. I prove it with most powerful Logik:

I. If a topic is exhausted (i.e. every discussion about it is completely complete) then it is inconsistent. So, we'll have to go back to our discussions of the topic until we've made sure it is consistently consistent. However...

II. If a topic is consistently consistent (i.e. no contradications have been made) then it is incomplete. So, we'll have to go back to our discussions until we've made sure it is completely complete. However, if it is completely complete...

And so on.

Q.E.D.

#18 ·
There have been many fascinating threads, both music and non-music related, which lasted a very long time before being closed and some have continued without being closed. I don't think it's hard to participate without getting a warning or receiving points. If a thread is truly interesting than the posts should reflect that and focus on the subject matter rather than other posters. The rules are clear, and people can vigorously debate issues without getting in trouble. Or at least it should not be difficult. The easy part is that one can always read one's post after writing it and decide whether it will get you in trouble. If so, delete it.

Religion, politics, and modern music have all been discussed in great depth in many posts without getting those posters in trouble. Obviously, some people have participated and drawn the wrath of the mods, but some discussions have lasted for weeks and covered a range of intriguing topics without causing a word from the moderators.

Well, that's my view. I wish people would continue to throw themselves into debates but realize that their opponent is another idea and not another person.

#20 ·
But again, some of the initiators seem to be gone or banned (Science, starthrower etc.).
And have you noticed the join date of most of the active members? Some are from 2009 or earlier, but most of the members are active since 2011.
Just makes me wonder if TC experiences certain generations as well.

#21 ·
The initiators are gone for that reason though. Nobody else wants to step up only to have their threads shut down or possibly having to be banned. Perhaps then you should endorse the groups section and move discussions into them if you want said stimulation.

#23 ·
Its a combination of many things which have been mentioned.

Like someone pointed out, the number of interesting topics is down but the number of posts isnt. A lot of posts are simply witty or silly remarks, and these are often rewarded by masses of people liking them. Most of the threads now created arent serious and are a little silly, some threads that begin with a serious question or topic, promptly go off-topic, sometimes with the consent or participation of the OP.

I dont necessarily believe that this is all due to the behaviour of the newer members, but there is certainly a kind of generational gap forming.

Reactions: moody and sospiro
G
#24 ·
The thing is when I joined all posters were very knowledgeable about music and the world in general but in the last couple of years or so we seem to have had an influx of young aggressive idiots that delight in being stupid and generally upsetting a lot of posters. so we spend less time here and go to other forums where the general ambient is friendly and visit here at odd times to see if things are improving ???? some do not return, the perpetrators will know who they are so I will not name them. (end of rant) :rolleyes::D:D

#31 ·
I dont think I can be described as a grumpy old man, yet I still find myself spending more time on other sites for all the reasons mentioned.

#35 ·
I need to quote this, so that my conciliatory response is comprehensible:

<<... any more than I'd say that we have some extremely grumpy elderly folk who delight in superiority complexes while writing drivel that they think is enlightened - well, maybe I would say that. >>

Having been described as grumpy (and cantankerous) by a young TC friend (not the author of the above quote), I am forced to concede that the author may have a point besides the one on his head. :)

There is probably no need to point out to the mods that the quote contains no ad hominems [my spellchecker doesn't like that... ?], and is pretty much an 'if the shoe fits' statement.

I feel obliged to suggest that there is no mental state that can Scientifically be described as a superiority complex. What there is is an inferiority complex that takes the outward appearance of assumed superiority - as a defense mechanism. Given the input from my TC friend, I will, with pleasure in fact, accept the 'grumpy old' label. The 'drivel' thing is a judgement call by the author, which he is entitled to in his ignorance.

I realize that I cannot speak for the other grumpy old folks in the membership; still, I hope this message will ameliorate any damage the author has caused himself.

:cool: [extremely grumpy, but :cool:]

#44 · (Edited)
Having been described as grumpy (and cantankerous) by a young TC friend (not the author of the above quote), I am forced to concede that the author may have a point besides the one on his head.
I meant loveably cantankerous, Hilltroll. Like my pet catfish, who bites my hand when I feed him.

It was a compliment, not an insult.

Reactions: sospiro
#39 · (Edited)
We have been invited out somewhere for the evening. We do not need to go along. Still, we
have been tense all day, and we have time in the evening. So we go along. There we find the
usual food and the usual table conversation, everything is not only very tasty, but tasteful as
well. Afterward, people sit together having a lively discussion, as they say, perhaps listening to
music, having a chat, and things are witty and amusing. And already it is time to leave. The
ladies assure us, not merely when leaving, but downstairs and outside too as we gather to leave,
that it was really nice, or that it was terribly charming. Indeed. There is nothing at all to be
found that might have been boring about this evening, neither the conversation, nor the people,
nor the rooms. Thus we come home quite satisfied. We cast a quick glance at the work we
interrupted that evening, make a rough assessment of things and look ahead to the next day -
and then it comes: I was bored after all this evening, on the occasion of this invitation.

The evening is that with which we are bored, and simultaneously, what we are bored with here
is passing the time. In this boring situation, boredom and passing the time become intertwined
in a peculiar way. Passing the time creeps into our becoming bored and, diffused throughout the
whole situation, achieves peculiar proportions that it is never able to assume in the first form in
our discontinued and restless attempts. We find nothing boring, and yet passing the time takes
on such proportions that it lays claim to the whole situation for itself. Strange!

In this chatting along with whatever is happening we have, not wrongly or to our detriment, but
legitimately, left our proper self behind in a certain way. In this seeking nothing further here,
which is self-evident for us, we slip away from ourselves in a certain manner. [...] In this
casualness of leaving ourselves behind in abandoning ourselves to whatever there is going on,
an emptiness can form. Becoming bored or being bored is determined by this emptiness forming
itself in our apparently satisfied going along with whatever there is going on. [...] This
emptiness is a being left behind of our proper self.

We said the time we take for ourselves is our time. This time in its standing - this is our sealed
off having been and our unbound future, i.e., our whole time of our Dasein in a peculiar
transformation. In this transformed form our whole time is compressed into this standing 'now'
of the duration of the evening. This standing time - this is we ourselves; it is our self as that
which has been left behind with respect to its provenance and future. This standing 'now' can,
in its standing, precisely tell us that we have left it standing, which means, however, that it
precisely is not releasing us, but that our being bound to it is impressing itself upon us. The
standing 'now', the "during" of the evening in which the invitation endures, can manifest to us
as such precisely this being held in limbo, being bound to our time. [...] When, letting ourselves
go along with being there and part of things, we are thus set in place by the standing 'now' that
is our own, albeit relinquished and empty self, then we are bored.

My Soul . Why should the imagination of a man
Long past his prime remember things that are
Emblematical of love and war?
Think of ancestral night that can,
If but imagination scorn the earth
And intellect is wandering
To this and that and t'other thing,
Deliver from the crime of death and birth.

My self . Montashigi, third of his family, fashioned it
Five hundred years ago, about it lie
Flowers from I know not what embroidery -
Heart's purple - and all these I set
For emblems of the day against the tower
Emblematical of the night,
And claim as by a soldier's right
A charter to commit the crime once more.

#41 · (Edited)
I noticed (maybe I am wrong) that people are participating less...So do I. When I was trying to get fun :devil: I had warnings...always from the same guy...I am not afraid though...I feel unguilty...of any charges...I am a nice guy and very friendly.

For me, Martin, the low point of this forum was this thread that ended up a trainwreck and was eventually locked. The behaviours exhibited on it by one long serving member (a ultra-radical fan of contemporary classical music), whom others joined, was not much better than a witch hunt. These types of opinions speak to me more of ideology than of any kind of real lived/experienced reality. It's like making the foundation of a house from quicksand. Not very logical, whatever premise you base it on. So with that, my participation here decreased, in sheer anger at this kind of thing (not to mention antics & games of the fans of a composer who I detest, but that has nothing to do with this thread I'm talking about).

http://www.talkclassical.com/18533-post-ww2-composers-who.html

In response, I did a number of threads, this one about communication, but after that thread, I think why bother here, ideology seems to rule above clear thinking. So it's becoming like that for me, and I think 3 years on a forum as I have been is maybe enough (of rigorous participation, anyway).

http://www.talkclassical.com/18567-thoughts-communication.html

But most members here I do respect, however it only takes a few rotten apples in the bunch to make me not want to come back, or not want to participate for fear of this kind of Stalin show-trial behaviour becoming the norm.

& I haven't gone off to another classical forum, I think TC is still the friendliest one I know, but I would be dismayed if it goes down the path of another one which I think is the pits. One cannot give an opinion there, it seems, about anything unless you own every recorded version of the work (or nearly). Funnily enough, sales that go through that site get a kick back from a popular cd selling site, so no surprises of this buy buy buy agenda (they are funded by that commercial site). Who sez classical music ain't a business? Well, you're more highbrow if you buy a dozen or more versions of the same symphony (or maybe just rich?). Dunno, don't care basically. It's an illusion of reality, a parallel universe. Maybe they should shell out on a course or book on communication instead. No joke. Attitood, people.

Anyway I could rant more but no use in that.

#48 ·
I've been here for 1 year and 5 months, and I can say that this site is still going strong.. I just miss my fellow Schubertians here: Artemis and Toccata.

I miss Toccata the most.. :(

Reactions: mmsbls
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.