Classical Music Forum banner

Which notation do you prefer?

Pianists: How would you prefer to see this passage notated?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  millionrainbows 
#1 · (Edited)

A or B?

I've been told that pianists don't like to see 8vas on the bass staff (And likewise, 8vbs on the treble staff), but to me a clef change for such a short passage seems impractical and annoying. Which one is easier for you guys to read?

Thanks,
-Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
What you claim is more awkward IS THE reading convention... meaning do not even bother to contemplate 'A.'

If you were handwriting, clef change would be reflexive, and a snap.

I suspect what you think is a hassle has to do with a step in the software of a music notation program.

Tut, tut :)

#5 · (Edited)
Call me ignorant, but I'll never understand you musicians and your love of reading things that have been stuffed into clefs! As a composer, 8va-ing and 8vb-ing has always been much easier to interpret, but okay, B it is!

I suspect what you think is a hassle has to do with a step in the software of a music notation program.

Tut, tut :)
Haha, yes, that might be part of my hatred for clefs, actually. :(

*looks back over 80 page score with all the pedal markings placed between the staves, and everything neatly arranged*, *cries*. How stupid of me, I think it's time for me to reread my notation manual ;).

#12 ·
Starting on the second measure, the left hand starts going into treble clef territory, so why not leave the bass clef blank at that point and write the left hand part on the treble clef? Interesting staving problem emerges...

Reactions: Klavierspieler
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.