Classical Music Forum banner

Russian opera just for Russian opera lovers

9K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  SixFootScowl 
#1 ·
Russian opera just for Russian opera LOVERS

Personally I don't love the title. Once I started a thread and I guess, people who didn't know anything about Russian opera participated... I guess it was a waste of everybody's time... I would like to participate here people who know at least 50 Russian operas. I am sorry to be a bit restrictive... But "lo bueno y breve, dos veces bueno" (good when is short is twice good)

Respectful

Martin

#2 ·
If this thread had been titled "Post here if you like Russian opera a little bit" I probably would have waited and watched how it developed. As only people who know 50 operas or more are allowed to post here I feel excluded and so I am compelled to post even if I am not allowed to.

Listened to this the other day, The Mussorgsky piece is a bit obscure, probably only a native Russian speaker would really get the satire but the Rimsky-Korsakov piece is great except for one of those annoying laughs that opera characters make.

Musical instrument Font Art People Illustration

Quack

Disrespectful

Reactions: sospiro
#3 · (Edited)
If this thread had been titled "Post here if you like Russian opera a little bit" I probably would have waited and watched how it developed. As only people who know 50 operas or more are allowed to post here I feel excluded and so I am compelled to post even if I am not allowed to.

Listened to this the other day, The Mussorgsky piece is a bit obscure, probably only a native Russian speaker would really get the satire but the Rimsky-Korsakov piece is great except for one of those annoying laughs that opera characters make.

View attachment 6322

Quack

Disrespectful
It is OK! Mozart and Salieri is an interesting opera about Pushkin's story where Mozart was murdered by Salieri, just a theory. This is the shortest opera of the grand maestro, about tha Marriage (Gogol) the story is funny and the opera was never completed by Modest who left unfinished almost all his operas... I hope you know more about R-K's operas, he composed 15 beautiful operas and... I have them all, Servilia I have just some excerpts, this opera was destroyed by him after the unsuccessful premiere.

About the version of Mozart it is quite important. I got one with the great Ivan Kozlovsky...and I have another two.

http://www3.bell.net/svp1

You can see just Russian composers if you want.

Best

Martin

P.S. Personally I don't like the marriage, I have both on DVD too

#6 ·
indeed, it is, I bought the DVD 3 months ago, it is absolutely awesome. Once you know Russian opera, opera doesn't have the same taste any more. It is in between the lightness of Italian opera and the deepness of German opera. Thank you for sharing with us!

I am sorry about the 50 stuff, I know at least 150....LOL I am a real fanatic, I guess!

Sincerely,

Martin

#8 · (Edited)
Russian opera that really grabs me, although I don't qualify for Martin's group

Tchaikovsky: Pique dame (my favourite), Eugene Onegin, Mazeppa, Iolanta. I quite like Cherevichki too.
Borodin: Prince Igor
Glinka: A life for the Tsar
Mussorgsky: Boris Godunov, Khovanshchina
Rimsky-Korsakov: The tsar's bride (my favourite), Le Coq D'Or, May Night, The Snow Maiden. The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh is on my "to listen to" pile. Sadko is good too.
Prokofiev: War and Peace (my favourite), A love for three Oranges, The Gambler, Betrothal in a Monastery (always seems more Italian than Russian to me)
Shostakovich: Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk

#9 · (Edited)
Russian opera that really grabs me, although I don't qualify for Martin's group

Tchaikovsky: Pique dame (my favourite), Eugene Onegin, Mazeppa, Iolanta. I quite like Cherevichki too.
Borodin: Prince Igor
Glinka: A life for the Tsar
Mussorgsky: Boris Godunov, Khovanshchina

Rimsky-Korsakov: The tsar's bride (my favourite), Le Coq D'Or, May Night, The Snow Maiden. The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh is on my "to listen to" pile. Sadko is good too.
Prokofiev: War and Peace (my favourite), A love for three Oranges, The Gambler, Betrothal in a Monastery (always seems more Italian than Russian to me)
Shostakovich: Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk
You have never disappointed me! That is great! But about the WODERFUL Russlan and Ludmila (Pushkin). I think it is important to read those books, it is important to enter deeper in the stories.
Ruslan and Liudmila (Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka)

[

Sincerely

Martin

#10 ·
Rimsky-Korsakov : Christmas eve, it is the same story than Cherevichky, but this is the original title of the short story by Gogol, composed after Tchaikovsky's opera

To be followed by all means

Martin

#11 · (Edited)
Well the overture is pretty convincing. Love the bells, this is music I would play on Christmas Eve to remind me of my cold snowy Swiss village when New Zealand is sweltering in summer December heat.

I'll watch the YouTube opera version to get a feel for it, but I must confess to preferring my Russian opera in Russian, even if I can't understand a word of it. The only affordable relatively recent CD I can find on Amazon is (dare I say it) from Naxos.

#15 ·
I do have 3 versions the best for me is a bit old but the very best, Golovanov.

http://www.amazon.com/Rimsky-Korsakov-Christmas-Nuit-Noel-Moscow/dp/B004LU604A/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1342760414&sr=1-5&keywords=Rimsky-korsakov+Christmas+eve+golovanov

You have many other awesome operas by R-K: May Night (Gogol), The story of Tsar Saltan (Pushkin), Mlada (opera-Ballet). You can have some excerpts on youtube, apparently Russlan and Liudmilla (Glinka) is complete in many parts, there some softwares to record from youtube if you don't want to buy the opera.

Best

Martin

#16 · (Edited)
Wow... In USA is not available, but in U.K. It is quite expensive...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Christmas-E...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1342760909&sr=1-2

Here in Canada is also available, but the price...

http://www.amazon.ca/Christmas-Eve-...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1342761051&sr=1-1

In France

http://www.amazon.fr/Christmas-Eve-...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1342761445&sr=1-2

This version is for me the reference. I bought the same version in LP in Russia in 1970. The same year, I told Dmitri Shostakovich that I loved R-K; he smiled and told me "you have such a good taste, my friend!" (sic)

Martin

#20 ·
#19 ·
It is a beginning anyhow. My requirements were maybe hard, but some people just come by curiosity, then the thread becomes "polluted", i don't know if you understand what I mean. If I understand well, you are coming here to have more information about some more operas that eventually you could like... THAT IS VERY POSITIVE. You are very very welcome.

Martin

#26 ·
Personally I don't love the title. Once I started a thread and I guess, people who didn't know anything about Russian opera participated... I guess it was a waste of everybody's time... I would like to participate here people who know at least 50 Russian operas. I am sorry to be a bit restrictive... But "lo bueno y breve, dos veces bueno" (good when is short is twice good)

Respectful

Martin
Is there a question to this or are we just listing Russian operas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.