Classical Music Forum banner

All female choral works

4K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  pjang23 
#1 ·
One of my favorite operas is Suor Angelica. There is something about the beauty and clarity of the all-female choral sound that I enjoy so much. Does anyone have any recommendations for all female choral works? I enjoy choral works in general but haven't found anything quite like Suor Angelica.

#2 ·
As per usual I have lost the name of that nun... it's in there somewhere... all I get is 'bling', that can't be right. Anyway, I think there are all female recordings of her stuff out there. All you have to do is figure out what this damn fool is drifting on about.

Reactions: Sonata
#8 ·
I would second almost any recording by the Anonymous 4... but also look into Chiara Cozzolani:

http://www.cozzolani.com/

Reactions: Renaissance
#9 ·
Another group to look into is the Trio Mediaeval:

#10 ·
Well if nuns are your fetish the other nunnish opera is Poulenc's Dialogues of the Carmelites

Aurora Surgit is another all female ensemble doing gregorian chant

Marie Keyrouz is also an early music expert quite a few of her full albums seem to be on youtube, listen before the takedown notices.

#16 · (Edited)
1.Weber Der Freischütz, Act 3, a simple and short volkslied is sung by village girls.

2.Check out the beginnig of the second act from Aida, not as an individual work though.

3.Serov's opera Judith, Act 3, chorus of Odalisques (with Dances).

Also check out the ending of Holst's The Planets (Neptune). Pretty eerie stuff.
4.Yes, not an individual work, but I love the final female chorus in Holst's the Planets, real mystic atmosphere with two chords repeated distance fading...

5.If you're interested in eastern timbres and tunes, you may find some beautiful female chorus in Azerbaijani composer Uzeyir Hajibeyov's operas and operettas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.