Classical Music Forum banner

Classical influences in popular music

25K views 43 replies 32 participants last post by  Retyc 
#1 ·
Poster Lennon brought up something interesting in the "Best Bands" thread & I thought it was worth making a seperate thread. Here's what Lennon had to say:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Violin_Frenzy, but I believe the "it will blow the classical music out of your butt!" was a direct quote from the film School of Rock, right?

I certainly know very little about classical music, though I'm not so deaf to the absolute excellence of it as some of my peers may be. Of course, most of my peers are even deaf to the kinds of music I enjoy so we can't depend on their opinions. I love the Beatles and the Who. There are many others, of course, but those are the two I don't think I could live without.

For those who can appreciate the work of orchestras and whatnot, how do you feel about songs like Eleanor Rigby, A Day In the Life, the french horn solo in For No One, etc? Talking to other Beatles fans, we don't really get into the classical music elements of some of these songs and I would be interested in what the people here think or just about classical music in popular music in general.
(emphasis mine)

~josh

#36 ·
Hey, someone was dissing Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Yeah, it's cheesy, but they lace their music with classical snippets and make it accessible to the masses. I went to a concert around Xmas time...the first half was their Xmas music, but their second half was literally taking classic rock songs and lacing them with music. There was one point where I heard the exposition to the first movement of the Pathetique Sonata and I was about to scream and turned around and started telling people...sadly then realizing no one knew what I was talking about.

The turned the Queen of the Night Aria into heavy metal.

I'm sure there were more snippets I missed or don't remember, but it was really cool...cheesy or not.

Reactions: zhopin
#43 ·
Hey, someone was dissing Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Yeah, it's cheesy, but they lace their music with classical snippets and make it accessible to the masses. I went to a concert around Xmas time...the first half was their Xmas music, but their second half was literally taking classic rock songs and lacing them with music. There was one point where I heard the exposition to the first movement of the Pathetique Sonata and I was about to scream and turned around and started telling people...sadly then realizing no one knew what I was talking about.

The turned the Queen of the Night Aria into heavy metal.

I'm sure there were more snippets I missed or don't remember, but it was really cool...cheesy or not.
I've always loved their cover of Carol of the Bells...

#44 ·
If the definition of "pop music" simply is "non-classical music", then I'd say Krallice. Their newer material (since Ygg Huur) has moved towards a kinda late-romantic/early avantgarde string quartet idiom (don't quote me on that, I'm not a musicologist)...
The other projects of the two guitarists(Mick Barr and Colin Marston) do have a heavy classical influence as well.

Krallice(sparse harsh vocals):
- Engram from Ygg Huur
- live recording of new material(+Ygg Huur and Hyperion material)

Ocrilim(Mick Barr solo, most albums are purely instrumental)
- Annwn Part 6
- Through

Behold... The Arctopus(Colin Marston + others, purely instrumental):
- Transient Exuberance
- Annihilvore

Dysrhythmia(Colin Marston + others, purely instrumental):
- In Consequence
- live footage of their new material (some more)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.