Classical Music Forum banner

Robert Schumann

78K views 468 replies 119 participants last post by  Neo Romanza 
#1 ·
The poetic genius, and, when it comes down to it, the greatest Romantic in music history. He was born into a bookseller's family, for goodness' sake. So really, what do all of you think of Robert Schumann?

He was amazing at his piano miniatures and pieces for one instrument and piano, especially voice, with which he effectively became the successor to Schubert as the great songwriter of the century.

His symphonies and concerti are very poetic and romantic, but the scoring and orchestration are terrible. Beyond that, I really see nothing wrong at all with Schumann.

And for those of you who can't get over the fact that he had multiple personalities, get over it. If all you can think of is his mental state... my case is settled.

#32 ·
What's the best recording of the piano concerto?
Lipatti w/Karajan (I love this pair of performer/conductor) and the Philharmonia Orchestra 1948 is probably the greatest version of the work.

My personal favorite, however, is Richter w/Rowick and the Warsaw NPO 1958.

On DVD (w/Schumann's 4th Symphony!): Argerich w/Chailly (Another BRILLIANT match) and the Gewandhausorchester 2006. In contrast, there is Gilels live in Moscow (but too slow for my taste).

Having said that, there are SO MANY great recordings out there: Serkin/Ormandy, Zimmerman/Karajan, Michelangeli/Giulini, Arrau/Dohnanyi, to name a few. I've also heard Moravec/Mata is good.

Listen to Cortot (very good interpretation) or Gieseking (atrocious third movement) if you want to hear a lot of wrong notes. :p

#7 ·
Indeed, I have heard that. I know that while he was in love Brahms used Clara to test out his new music (she was a virtuoso pianist)... did that aspect of the relationship survive after they started to drift apart?

Oh, and...
Schumann Fun Fact #2: Schumann's reputation spread very slowly. Story goes, at one of Clara's piano recitals, after she had finished the program, an audience member approached Robert and asked, "Herr Schumann, are you musically inclined, too?"

#9 ·
Brahms always sent his music to his friends for critique, etc. Clara and Joachim were among his greatest life-long friends, so naturally Brahms would send everything to her, right up until her death pretty much.

Anyway. Now back to ROBERT SCHUMANN. I've not heard the piano concerto very much, I'm listening to it now on YouTube. It sounds very beautiful, I'll need to buy it.

#15 · (Edited)
Personally, Schumann is the first comprehensible romantic composer for me. And he influenced Brahms so much! It is evident for example in the Piano Concerto No. 1.

From Schumann's work I love especially Piano Concerto, no doubt one of the very best works in the genre. I like the beautiful Andante espressivo inside the first movement. And the third movement with its spontaneous joy and vitality! Cello Concerto is wonderful, too, very deep and emotional.

#16 ·
I can say only good things! A true master.

His piano works are maybe not as thunderous as Liszt's, but are almost as masterful. Especially the Three Romances, Fantasie, Waldszenen, Carnaval... And he wrote a tremendous Piano Sonata. The No.2
The symphonies are excellent, I love the 1st and the 4th. I've heard better orchestrators than him, but that is almost irrelevant when I listen to this music.
Dichterliebe is a supreme achievement. My favourite.
As are the Concertos.

#17 ·
I agree with the above statements. He was a great Romantic and he influenced many composers, like Brahms, Grieg and Joachim.

The only work I have on disc by him is the Piano Concerto. It may not be the most virtuostic concerto in the repertoire, but its poetry and sublime statements make up for that. As stated above, it is also very symphonic, presaging the Brahms concertos.

Recently, I also heard the Manfred Overture & the Symphony No. 4 on radio. The overture is one of the best concerto overtures, very dramatic and epic. So is the 4th, which seems very innovative, as it is in four continuous movements.

It is sad how he ended his days in an asylum. Perhaps a movie should be made about the man, he had such a troubled life, struggled quite a bit with depression. He seems more human than other composers because of this. He was also a great pianist, somewhat eclipsed by his wife. I read that he built a contraption to play the piano better & it backfired, it actually damaged his finger...

#18 ·
It is sad how he ended his days in an asylum. Perhaps a movie should be made about the man, he had such a troubled life, struggled quite a bit with depression. He seems more human than other composers because of this. He was also a great pianist, somewhat eclipsed by his wife. I read that he built a contraption to play the piano better & it backfired, it actually damaged his finger...
I believe a movie has been made of him... someone might want to check; don't quote me on it!

About this contraption: it was made to strengthen his fingers and make them more independent. It incidentally not just damaged but completely ruined a finger on his right hand (I believe it was the middle, if I'm not mistaken). So after that he was totally ruined as a pianist. His wife was the idol of the day for the piano.

I saw the New York Philharmonic under Lorin Maazel play Schumann's fourth symphony some time ago (recently). Closest I've ever come to falling asleep during a concert, I'll be ashamed to admit. And it wasn't for lack of sleep, either!

#20 ·
Robert Schumann was the last of the great 19th Composers I decided to take a close look at, after Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, Mendelssohn, Liszt, Brahms, Bruckner, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Mahler (part 20th C).

This was because the others, at least at the time I started the long venture, seemed to offer a better overall package, more in tune with my tastes etc. I had of course heard Schumann’s PC and a few other pieces which I enjoyed, but I was content to leave things there until I had carried out a fuller “audit” of what the other composers on the above list had to offer.

A few years ago when I finally got round to reading up on Schumann I discovered a generally strong interest among message board participants elsewhere. This enthusiasm was catching and the more I listened to Schumann the more I enjoyed his works. He soon became one of my overall favourites, and I became a “completist” in terms of acquiring just about everything he wrote.

Insofar that it is possible to come up with an "objective" list of the greatest composers, based on general popularity and esteem, I would place him in the top 10 (ahead of Liszt, Chopin, Mahler, Bruckner). I would not wish to get into any arguments with anyone over this matter of judgement, as if someone else for example thinks that Chopin or Brahms is better, I can easily live with that as I used to believe it too.

What I like especially about Schumann is that the sound of his music unique, and given half a chance it soon grows on you. The quality is generally very high, and the volume of his output is manageable with little or no excess baggage. Unlike some other Romantics, I do not find any of his works over long and drawn out. His works cover most of the main genres, and this is something I greatly appreciate and admire as I am not just interested in orchestral music. The latter is really nice to start with but most classical fans who know what they are talking about generally like a cross-spectrum of genres, and do not just stay stuck in one rut.

His piano solo works are in my view of extremely high quality and generally outshine most of the competition. Of his Op 1-28 piano solo works, my favourite is the Fantasy in C Major, Op 17. I love all of his symphonies. His PC and Cello concerto are wonderful, as too is his VC which is more subtle and intriguing than all the usual better known stodge a la Beethoven, Brahms etc. His song cycles are very enjoyable, Dichterliebe being my favourite. I especially love his chamber works, in particular the Piano Quintet. There are many other individual works I like including the Konzertstucke, Op 92, and the various overtures.

#21 ·
Schumann's piano music is second to none. A thinking man's Chopin. (far more deep and meaningful than any of Liszt's output - sorry Lisztfreak)

His symphonies, Jtech, are not especially admired and are certainly not representative of his musical achievements.

#24 ·
Well, it's one thing to write for piano; it's another thing entirely to write for a whole orchestra. I think there were just too many parts for Schumann to handle (every pun that is remotely possible was probably intended, by the way).