Classical Music Forum banner

Tell us about your instrument!

4K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  treeza 
#1 ·
I have a brown "Riese" piano. It's German, and really old, and really worn out. I'm trying to give it away atm, since I'm moving to south-Norway to study at the conservatory. But I'm afraid i have to dump it :(

Looking forward to practice at some "real" instruments.

So, what kind of keyboard do you have? Satisfied?

#6 · (Edited)
I don't have an instrument, but a very serviceable (and work-horse, knock on wood, as far as longevity and durability) Yamaha digital studio model clavinova, of, um, a certain age. 88 weighted keys, touch sensitive, as pictured above, three set in place pedals.

It is a tool, not an instrument.

In the past, I've had very decent uprights, full, or studio height, and one vintage grand, all quite good, which gave much use.

The best pianos I've played were "out" - in teacher's studios and performing venues.

Looking forward, though, eventually, to another acoustic real instrument.

#7 ·
A word to the wise, and practical advice at that. If purchasing an upright, never consider less than a studio height instrument, ca. 38 or 40 inches high, as a minimum standard. Anything less, the cross stringing, the jammed space for the action, is all formulaic for disappointment, bad quality sound, bad touch, short life (especially if you are really practicing) and they go out of tune before your tuner has left the room -- not even an 'investment' in any terms.

#8 ·
Wood Office supplies Publication Gas Tints and shades

Cable Nelson 5'2" baby grand from early 20th century.

When I bought it, I had been pining after a certain well-seasoned used 7' Yamaha in good condition, but I didn't have $15,000. The Cable Nelson came along at significantly less than its actual value due to an odd series of circumstances and I snapped it up.

It is a cheerful piano, capable also of high drama. Attractive to a Haydn/Mozart fan like myself. Not a huge variety of tone colors, but enough. A little bit of quirky extra play in the keys before you get in touch with the hammer. Not particularly good at subtlety. I have named him Cherubino.

#14 · (Edited)
Both of my pianos were made by Story & Clark.

Both instruments have their own strengths and drawbacks.

The upright is a very good piano for works that call for a very clear and precise sound to them. It is perfectly suited to Mozart, Haydn, Bach, etc. whose works I would say require very clean, detached sounds. The keys are perfectly proportioned in all three dimensions; the bass is muscular but not overpowering, and the treble is bright and clear. I use this piano strictly for practicing, thus, I play it the most.

The baby grand is 5'8", also by Story & Clark: it has a very powerful sound, but despite a great deal of work put into it, it lacks the quick precision of the upright. It is approximately 85 years old, and the black keys definitely show the usage. The black keys' edges have blunted considerably, which makes it easy for fingers to slip off the key if it isn't touched in exactly the right place; the bass can be thunderous if not played with a very gentle touch. Still, the whole piano produces a beautiful, singing tone and is quite a joy to play. Liszt, Schumann, and Brahms sound better on this piano than on the upright.

It frequently happens that I will go a whole week without playing the baby grand, especially when I'm learning a new piece.

#15 · (Edited)
A 7 months old Yamaha P35, does the job for a begginer like me. Damn, it even has two harpsichord and organ sounds!

#21 ·
I have a 6 year old upright Fritz Dobbert. It's not the very best, and it somewhat makes me not want to play Chopin because it doesn't have the best low register, but I love it very much, and I can see this relationship lasting for some good years.

#22 ·
I have an upright black Yamaha that looks like this :

Musical instrument Piano Keyboard Human body Electronic musical instrument

I got it second hand because new ones were really too expensive. :(
I had another piano before that but it was really for beginners and it was time I had it changed after a few decades of it being passed around.
It has beautiful bass notes I have to say (practical for Rachmaninov !).
Otherwise I have an Korg SP-250 electric piano. I play the Yamaha mostly but seeing as I have a two year old brother who goes to sleep at 8 o'clock I need something to practice during the evening :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.