Classical Music Forum banner

If there was a king of instruments, what would it be?

King of Instruments

6K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  musicrom 
#1 ·
Ummm...
got bored.

#2 ·
I voted for organ, though it is the QUEEN of instruments for me! :D I had the possibility to have lessons for one year. It was an unforgettable event. When you play the organ it is heaven. The colours you can create, the motions,... wounderful. And your whole body is music: from head to the fingers to the feet! I will never forget this time!

#4 ·
It's gotta be voice ... nothing like using your own vocal cords and mouth to make your instrument! I play the violin because I really like music and it's an instrument I can and will play! I like the brass/wind instruments, but I thought the spit was really gross. That's the only reason I play a stringed instrument instead of something I put my mouth on ... also there's hygiene ... some people pick up other people's instruments and play them. Every time I've seen that happen with a wind instrument I practically got ill. But no one can take my voice and borrow it!

I especially love a good tenor voice. That should be the king of voice music!

#28 ·
In the ornamented repeats of the da capo arias of Opera Seria in the Baroque and even by some in the Classical 18th c, and especially in the Bel Canto style of Bellini et al, and very much in the Lukas Foss Time Cycle and similar works of the 20th century and on-going, the voice is very much treated as an instrument and must be trained in ways similar.

#19 ·
Technically speaking the pipe organ has always been known as the 'king' of instruments. But artistically speaking, I'll really consider the human voice as the 'supreme' instrument.
Yes, Krishna...the human voice is considered an instrument, whereby the body is the instrument itself.

#25 ·
Theremin

I adore the theremin! It has a beauty like the soprano voice mixed with 'cellos and clarinets, but better :)
For those that have never heard this instrument before, try this:

http://www.peterpringle.com/music/pavane.mp3

It sounds a bit weird at first, but it's taste ( like olives ) I've enjoyed aquiring. I like this thereminist, but lately he has tried to show off by using trills, which sound terrible on this instrument :(
godzilla

#29 ·
The guitar will endure because of its great intimacy in acoustic settings, its bravura capabilities in the hands of a classical virtuoso like Bream or a great metalist like Eddie Vedder, and because of its great portability - the piano definitely loses in that department. :)

the lute was king in renaissance & baroque times;
the piano was for king since its invention until...
lets face it guys, the guitar is the instrument of the future.
;P
-cameron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.