Classical Music Forum banner

I know of another reason why Schoenberg objected to the term "atonality"

9K views 76 replies 18 participants last post by  millionrainbows 
#1 · (Edited)
I know of another reason why Schoenberg objected to the term "atonality," but nobody has ever mentioned it.

Does anyone know the reason I'm referring to? It seems like a perfect reason to me, and for me, at least, it explains everything.

#74 · (Edited)
I had wondered if the reason was indeed simply that it wasn't Schoenberg himself, who coined the disputed term.

But Hauer? According to that standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, Wikipedia, the word can be attributed to the composer Joseph Marx in a 1907 study. Is that incorrect?

Edit: I thought Hauer wrote the first 12-tone piece? Not that it matters: afaik he was a lousy composer.

#76 · (Edited)
I had wondered if the reason was indeed simply that it wasn't Schoenberg himself, who coined the disputed term.
Not me; I simply wondered why he objected. Now I know. It was professional competition. Still, Hauer is remembered as one of the founders of 12-tone theory.

But Hauer? According to that standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, Wikipedia, the word can be attributed to the composer Joseph Marx in a 1907 study. Is that incorrect?
That may be correct, but my point is to refute "autocrat"s implication that I am purposely spreading unsubstantiated falsehoods. That sounds suspiciously familiar. My source states clearly that Hauer coined the term.

Edit: I thought Hauer wrote the first 12-tone piece? Not that it matters: afaik he was a lousy composer.
Have you listened to the music? There are more & more recordings of his music appearing all the time on European labels. Steffen Schleiermacher has put out a CD of his piano music.

And like the Amazon reviewer said, a case could just as easily be made that Schoenberg botched the application of 12-tone, making it an alienating experience for most listeners of that day, right up to the present. Maybe he should have stayed within the Romantic tradition more, as in Transfigured Night, Gurrelieder, and Pelleas.

Reactions: Sloe
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.