Classical Music Forum banner

Verdi's Requiem - best performance/recording?

53K views 88 replies 42 participants last post by  PathfinderCS 
#1 ·
On the event of his's 203rd birthday, I thought I'd pose the traditional "which is best" question with regards to Giuseppe Verdi's 1874 "opera in ecclesiastical robes."

The performance from this past Proms with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment led by Marin Alsop really caught on with me.

#2 ·
My two absolute favourites are:

Verdi:Requiem
Leontyne Price (soprano), Rosalind Elias (mezzo-soprano), Jussi Björling (tenor), Giorgio Tozzi (bass)
Wiener Philharmoniker, Singverein der Gesellscaft der Musikfreunde, Wien, Fritz Reiner on Decca and very close second:

Verdi: Requiem
Renata Scotto, Agnes Baltsa, Veriano Luchetti and Evgeny Nesterenko
Philharmonia Orchestra & Ambrosian Chorus, Riccardo Muti
Formerly on EMI now Warner

#10 ·
Verdi:Requiem
Leontyne Price (soprano), Rosalind Elias (mezzo-soprano), Jussi Björling (tenor), Giorgio Tozzi (bass)
Wiener Philharmoniker, Singverein der Gesellscaft der Musikfreunde, Wien, Fritz Reiner on Decca and very close second:
This is THE one. Many others out there but none so rich, massive, great, and divine!

Watched this yesterday, it's lonely at the top.
However, if they ever released this on CD, it certainly would give Reiner's a run for it's money, perhaps surpass it. Why oh why will they not release this on CD, I have no idea!

Pugg, two Home Runs in the same thread. Well done!

V

#51 · (Edited)
This is numero uno for me as well. I have versions by Toscanini, the one on his Immortal Performances RCA CD is outstanding but doesn't match this - maybe the sound gets in the way. I also have the Reiner, one of the Fricsay pair, de Sabata, Muti, Giulini and Serafin. I know this sounds morbid but when a friend, relative or person of great note dies, I play the Verdi Requiem in their honour. Nowadays, it's always this HvK. It can bring me to tears - especially the Recordare and the Lacrymosa.

#15 ·
Versions I have:

Toscanini - 1939 and 1952

Fricsay - tremendous performance in mono

Guilin - given at a Prom. Much better than his studio version

Gardiner - period instruments - really top notch

Muti - height of drama

Morani on Naxos - really, really good

Toscanini's have authenticity but you really need good sound for this work.

#42 ·
Gardiner - period instruments - really top notch.
Another vote for the Gardiner set - it's my favourite overall, I think. Not only a fine rendition of the Requiem, but the Quattro Pezzi Sacri "filler" is a great bonus.

Of the "classic" recordings, it's probably the Reiner (Price, Björling etc) for me. Of more recent vintage, I really enjoyed Antonio Pappano's rendition on EMI/Warner.

#26 ·
I have four editions of the Verdi Requiem but one of them is with the Robert Shaw Chorale and Toscanini conducting, with soloists Herva Nelli (sop), Fedora Barbieri (alt), Giuseppe di Stefano (tenor), and Cesare Siepi (bass). Wonderful interpretation (not great sound), but my overwhelming favorite is the Leontyne Price-Rosalind Elias-Jussi Bjoerling-Giorgio Tozzi recording with Fritz Reiner and the Vienna Philharmonic.

:tiphat:

Kind regards,

George

#18 ·
Interesting oddball version?

I just ordered this one - hasn't yet arrived. 1961 radio performance with a strong customer review on Amazon, and with Nicolai Gedda doing the tenor part and a conductor I absolutely adore - but with no idea how he handled this music! I look forward to hearing this in about ten days....

Forehead Nose Jaw Font Ear

#19 ·
I just ordered this one - hasn't yet arrived. 1961 radio performance with a strong customer review on Amazon, and with Nicolai Gedda doing the tenor part and a conductor I absolutely adore - but with no idea how he handled this music! I look forward to hearing this in about ten days....

View attachment 89954
From what I hear, that Christa Ludwig may amount to something, too.

#32 ·
I have Barbirolli, Giulini, Solti and Muti in Cd. watched in youtube Abbado (gheorghiu, Barcellona, allagna... BPO), Abbado/LSO with M Price, Muti/CSO, Bychkov BBCSO.

I would chose Giulini (like Becca).

Abbado/BPO with The Orfeón Donostiarra is wonderful and Bychkov's recording (proms) is very good.

I promise to listen to Reiner (first option of Pugg). If this Is his choice, it must be a good version.

#33 ·
I have Barbirolli, Giulini, Solti and Muti in Cd. watched in youtube Abbado (gheorghiu, Barcellona, allagna... BPO), Abbado/LSO with M Price, Muti/CSO, Bychkov BBCSO.

I would chose Giulini (like Becca).

Abbado/BPO with The Orfeón Donostiarra is wonderful and Bychkov's recording (proms) is very good.

I promise to listen to Reiner (first option of Pugg). If this Is his choice, it must be a good version.
Now I am curious about your verdict ;)

#35 ·
My pick for the best soprano for Verdi's Requiem is Leontyne Price. The opening theme of the whole piece (in A minor, played by cello) returns in B flat minor at the third part of "Libera me" (bar 132), sung by Soprano in ppp, accompanied only by the chorus. This is the place I decide whether I like the soprano or not. Leontyne Price is superb here, giving me goose bumps every time I hear this section.

Price recorded Requiem at least 7 times: with Ormandy (1957), Reiner (1960), Karajan (1967), Solti (1977), Matačić (1979), Levine (1982) and López-Cobos (1983). I only listened to 4 of these yet, but my pick is with Solti. I'm glad to see some of these recordings are picked by others here. Yeah!!

#36 ·
Just listened to Reiner /wiener P. (With L. Price). Pugg, Thanks for discovering this version to me. Sound Is incredible for a 1960 recording. The orchestra is superb. Reiner knows how to build an almost perfect masterpiece.

I agree with Satoru about L. Price.

But...

Listening to Verdi's requiem Is mainly emocional for me. I need to cry, to feel sadness, anger... And that's why I need Giulini. I enjoyed Reiner's and even I'd recommend it as a superb version, but if I want to feel all these emotions, then I need Giulini/philharmonia O. Schwarzkopf/ludwig... (Even admitting that L. Price Is unbeatable).

I watched both Abbado's 'libera me' (LSO with The welch Price -margaret- and Berlin PO with A gheorghiu.) It's always shocked me The way she says The last 'libera me domine de morte aeterna in die illa tremenda'. Many sopranos seem to ask for mercy or to be praying, but Gheorghiu is scared and demands it, showing desperation. Love it.

Toscanini will be my next go (following hpowders advice).

#37 ·
Just listened to Reiner /wiener P. (With L. Price). Pugg, Thanks for discovering this version to me. Sound Is incredible for a 1960 recording. The orchestra is superb. Reiner knows how to build an almost perfect masterpiece.

I agree with Satoru about L. Price.
It is alright, we all see / hear things in another perspective, as for demanding in the libera me , try Scotto on the Muti set .

#38 ·
Yeah, I listened to Muti/Scotto and it's dramatic. I also listened to the Reiner/Price recording. Oh my, it was superb! Price's voice and the sound are both great. Thanks for the introduction.

PS. There is a mistake in the above list of Verdi Requiem recordings with L. Price. The last was not Leontyne but Margaret Price. Stupid me ...

#44 ·
I'd probably go with Giulini/Philharmonia (1962)

...though it's a crowded field, and based on the users here, I'm going to have to check out Reiner's rendition.

#47 ·
I will add my all time favorite, since I don't see it mentioned:

Forehead Chin Publication Font History

Despite the dated 1954 sound (albeit in studio), you can't beat this one for sheer intensity and unforgettable commitment. Many may know De Sabata from his Tosca with Callas, considered the greatest opera recording of all time. Unfortunately he made all too few recordings. But he was for me easily one of the handful of greatest conductors we have on record. Unlike Toscanini, he was not only electric but also flexible. Also the chorus is unforgettable as well as the dream team of soloists (the younger Schwarzkopf here is more fierce and agile than in her later recording with Giulini)

"Second place" for me rests with an even older recording - Serafin's 1939 version with Caniglia/Stignani/Gigli/Pinza. The two male soloists are worth the price alone, but the brisk performance as a whole sizzles and sounds great on the Dutton label.

And then I would agree with others on Giulini for a stereo version, with Fricsay not far behind (both stereo and mono). I admire Toscanini's various versions more than I love them.

#48 ·
I will add my all time favorite, since I don't see it mentioned:

View attachment 93381

Despite the dated 1954 sound (albeit in studio), you can't beat this one for sheer intensity and unforgettable commitment. Many may know De Sabata from his Tosca with Callas, considered the greatest opera recording of all time. Unfortunately he made all too few recordings. But he was for me easily one of the handful of greatest conductors we have on record. Unlike Toscanini, he was not only electric but also flexible. Also the chorus is unforgettable as well as the dream team of soloists (the younger Schwarzkopf here is more fierce and agile than in her later recording with Giulini)

"Second place" for me rests with an even older recording - Serafin's 1939 version with Caniglia/Stignani/Gigli/Pinza. The two male soloists are worth the price alone, but the brisk performance as a whole sizzles and sounds great on the Dutton label.

And then I would agree with others on Giulini for a stereo version, with Fricsay not far behind (both stereo and mono). I admire Toscanini's various versions more than I love them.
I only like the mezzo on that recording.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.