Classical Music Forum banner

What is the chord progression for this short tune?

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  kwokboy 
#1 ·
I am unable to figure out the chord progression for this short tune.

At the end, it seems it is a A major chord so I assume it is in A major.
But the chord before it sounds like a D major chord.

It doesn't seem like a V7 to I cadence even though I hear something resolved one semitone step-wise.

What makes it trickier is that the beginning sounds like A minor to me. Therefore I have difficulty in identifying the chord progression in this short tune. Can anyone help?

What I am sure are:
1. This short tune has 4 bars
2. The time signature is 3/4

Attachments

#5 ·
It's good to develop an ear for this sort of thing if you've got the time. Check out musictheory.net if you want to train your ears, or sit down in front of a piano with a friend. Makes a good party trick too! :D

#7 · (Edited)
This is what I want too. In the place where I live, it's easy to find instrumental teachers and they focus on teaching you how to play the instrument well. However, there are hardly any teacher who focus on training up your aural skills.

When I attempt to find some, they will try to "sell" you instrumental lessons, saying that once you have a decent level on piano, you will have a good ear.

So I am using the book Comprehensive Aural Skills by Justin Merritt as a substitution.
Do you think online lesson (Skype) is good? I once saw a teacher who provide aural lesson over Skype.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.