Classical Music Forum banner

Semitone clash sound on classical music?

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  athrun200 
#1 · (Edited)
I know contemporary composers always use the semitone clash to create horror or unpleasant sound effects. But what is the role of semitone clash in classical tonal music?

The reason I ask this is that when I listen to Schumann's Album fur die Jugend (Album for the Young) no.26, there is one semitone clash (F and F sharp) which sounds really unnatural to me. At the very beginning, I thought the performer played a wrong notes during the recording section. But later I discovered that it is Schumann's intention to include the semitone clash in bar 17 (see the red circle of my attachment).

Right after this semitone clash there's a major 2nd clash between G in the bass and the A in the R.H melody.

The two ugly clashes here doesn't make much sense to me.
Can anyone explain why a semitone clash and then a major 2nd clash is good here? For me, it sounds like a mistake of the composer :p

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The explanations are illustrated below. The progression is V7/IV, vii65/IV, IV. The F# is a chromatic passing tone, the G and A on beat 2 of m. 17 are both chord tones in a first inversion vii7 chord in B-flat. Melodically, the passing F# is the second note of the piece's head-motive, as heard in mm. 1 and 13, so it is not at all out of place.

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

Reactions: Bettina
#3 ·
The explanations are illustrated below. The progression is V7/IV, vii65/IV, IV. The F# is a chromatic passing tone, the G and A on beat 2 of m. 17 are both chord tones in a first inversion vii7 chord in B-flat. Melodically, the passing F# is the second note of the piece's head-motive, as heard in mm. 1 and 13, so it is not at all out of place.

View attachment 91668
+1

I've seen the semi-tone clash in some of my favorite composers, whom I hate to consider " contemporary", because they still strongly stick to the ideas of older composers. I've heard it in Prokofiev, Gershwin, Shostakovitch, et alios. I actually really enjoy the use of it provided it's done correctly.

#6 · (Edited)
How about this example from the slow movement of Beethoven's Sonata Op. 2 no. 1? There is much harsher dissonance in measure 22 than in the Schumann:

Rectangle Slope Font Music Parallel

Composers of tonal music from the beginning till today reveled in exploiting all the dissonance the laws of counterpoint allowed. I would call passages like these piquant and delightful rather than ugly.

Reactions: athrun200
#9 · (Edited)
Frankly speaking, I love semitone clashes in this way too.
The clashes created by Bach seem to blend in the whole piece successfully.

I don't know why I don't like the one in Schumann's piano.
Maybe Bach's texture is thicker, other instruments minimize the unpleasant effects of the semitone clash while Schumann's piece contain only a piano.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.