Classical Music Forum banner

Help with beginning my career?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Krummhorn 
#1 ·
I'd like to be a middle school or high school music teacher. However, I am only interested in teaching music theory, history, appreciation, piano, aural, and ear training skills. I am not interested in leading a band. I feel like not a lot of middle schools and high schools would have these kinds of music programs. If they do, I feel like they would hire me as both an appreciation teacher and a band director. Maybe even the choir director as well. I don't know anything about the business side of teaching music at middle schools and high schools, though. Can anyone help me?

#6 · (Edited)
The traditional way to get where you want to go is to start with an undergraduate degree in music education — except the chances of getting that gig without running a band and/or choir are close to nil. Better get used to the idea. It is possible the rare private school has the exact position you want, but there aren't going to be many jobs like that.

Reactions: Krummhorn
#7 ·
Edward has a good point...teaching K-12 means you have to have a teacher's certificate, and so you need a music education degree so you can get certified in the state you want to teach. You can teach theory at a university without that, so if you want to be a theory teacher and not a band/choir director, teaching at a college or university would be just your thing

its nice work if you can get it

#8 ·
Do you have any performing experience? If so, what instrument(s)?

#10 · (Edited)
Back in the 70's I was able to get a teaching certificate without having a Music ED degree (mine was in composition). At that time some states would grant one temporarily until you took some extra course work within your first "x" number of teaching years. In my case I had taken some music ed classes and also had a Masters in comp so I didn't have to and was granted a regular certificate with no problem.

I did teach 3 years of high school & middle school music and yes the first gig (High School Choirs, Music Apprec) also included Theory...hooray. But I know of no Middle or High school where you can only be a theory teacher...boo.

Education money is always tight and music teachers always need justification to exist, so directing attractive visible music groups keeps the jobs from becoming cut.

Your best bet is to get a masters and then look at community colleges to teach those subjects areas you like.

Reactions: hpowders
#11 ·
Most all university music professors here specialize in one main field ... teaching theory, harmony (etc) and other aspects of playing and/or performing are part of the job requirements, but not the main emphasis of their careers. Hard to say if a position without being the choral or instrumental director would exist ... if so, it would be in the private school sector only.

My piano teacher's main focus was the instrument, but she also taught us students about theory and composition along the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.