Classical Music Forum banner

Restructuring at Warner Classics

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Klassik 
#1 ·
I came across this link today:

https://slippedisc.com/2017/06/biz-news-warner-classics-gets-a-new-boss/

Warner has created a new Arts Music division operating out of New York. The leader will be the former head of Universal Classics US (Decca/DG), Kevin Gore. Alain Lanceron will continue to operate the Warner Classics division out of Paris, but now he will report to the Arts Music boss instead of being somewhat autonomous it seems.

I like what Warner Classics has been doing lately since the buyout of the EMI/Virgin Classics catalogs. Hopefully this won't disrupt the good things, but we'll see. Perhaps we'll see more new recordings from Warner, but I'm not sure what to expect.

Any thoughts on the situation?

#2 ·
Given the description of the "Arts Music" brief - "This new repertoire centre will focus on signing, developing, and marketing artists and releases across a spectrum of genres, including classical, musical theatre, jazz, children’s music, film scores, and other fields generally outside the pop mainstream" - it sounds suspiciously like "Arts Music" is a euphemism for "let's just lump together all the stuff that doesn't sell well".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.