Classical Music Forum banner

Amadeus the movie

28K views 111 replies 56 participants last post by  Ralfy 
#1 ·
This is probably my favorite movie ever. I KNOW its historically inaccurate. I KNOW its three hours long. but I love it. Anyone else??
I've always wondered what real Mozart enthusiasts think about Tom Hulce's portrayal of Mozart in this movie. Personally, I think he does a great job. Before I saw this movie, I had played a few of Mozart's pieces and just grouped him in with all the other composers. Yea Yea, Mozart. He's German. Just like half the other composers. Big deal. hehe. But Hulce's character actually got me really interested in Mozart and his music. I didn't know he was so WEIRD! I love it. It gave me a new way to look at his music and his life. If you havent seen it go out right now and get it.
Anyone else have any thoughts?

#4 ·
Sorry, friends, but I hate that movie. In general, movies about composers, in special those who came from Hollywood are incredibly bad. Beethoven with Oldman ... brrr...
Since its beginning Hollywood has always promoted a war against History. See "The Gladiator" and that stupid "Alexander".

Want to see a good movie about a composer? Then go see "Touts les matins du monde".

#7 ·
I agree with you on Amadeus. I'm not much of a Mozart fan though either (aside from the Requiem, and Haydn Quartets).
But I thought the Beethoven movie was decent for the most part (I am a Gary Oldman fan as well). Although the opening scene is just cheesy. With the close-up and the beginning of the 5th symphony. I wish they would have just left the 5th out of that movie all together. It has already been ruined by Hollywood. Plus, from a chronological perspective, I thought it made no sense to place the 5th symphony at the beginning of the film.

#5 ·
When Amadeus first came out, I saw it twice before it left the theatres. It's a brilliant movie. I do, however, feel that Mozart might be overrated in part because of it.
Don't get me wrong, he was most certainly a genius, but it seems to me that the hoopla
over him is a bit too much. Overall, I think J.S. Bach was a much better composer.
My primary concern with any composer is his music, not his idiosyncrasies.

#8 · (Edited)
The only films I like about music are ones with Pink Floyd in them, performing live. Ones about Beethoven or Mozart, or whoever, I wouldn't even bother glancing at. That kind of stuff doesn't interest me one bit. I'd sooner watch paint dry. They are bound to get it all wrong and project the wrong image about these people.

I've always had difficulty watching any movies about historical characters, ever since I saw Moses played by Charlton Heston. What a joke, that was. Then there was Cleoptara played by Liz Taylor. Zzzzzzz.

They can't even get the story right about fictional characters. I watched Gone With The Wind last Xmas, and what a complete travesty it was of a wonderful novel. I do like some films but there aren't many: Shawshank Redemption, Schindlers List, Bridge on the River Kwai, Great Escape are real classics. I guess there might be a few more but I can't remember them. Generally, I prefer British films than Hollywood blockbusters. Comedy films are OK like Pink Panther and the Ealing Comedies, and one or two War films.

So, yep they don't get much more cynical than me in the movie department, especially in regard to biopics about people I hold in high regard like Beethoven. Does this latest movie really start of with the opening bars of S 5? How stupid. I would switch it off straight away.

Topaz

#9 ·
Topaz, these movies are actually quite good compared to the drivel in most theatres now. Amadeus is a classic and Immortal Beloved is well done, although quite innacurate and at times ridiculous (the director's theory of the immortal beloved is the worst possible one). I've heard many good things about the newly released Copying Beethoven and I'm waiting for it to appear in theatres. Movies like Impromptu and Chopin: Desire for Love have their moments, and the Wagner mini-series with Richard Burton was exceptionally well done.

Compared to the inane garbage we have in America today like Beer Fest, Spider Man, Borat, and Eragon, I'll happily take movies like Amadeus and Immortal Beloved anyday.

#10 · (Edited)
I quite like 'Amadeus'. It's exotic, racy, escapist and harmless. The actor who played Salieri was phenomenal. Great script (mostly). But another film which was just as good (a French one on the life and career of JS Bach, 'Il Etait une Fois' never even got to general release in the USA. I suppose it lacked something but it sure wasn't great music and at times deeply moving photography. It was as good as Amadeus in its own way.

#11 ·
Has anyone seen the 9-hour miniseries with Richard Burton as Wagner?

Worth it in the full version - there is a cut 4 hour version.
I also like Amadeus and Immortal Beloved - again, I know they are wrong, but if I'm goingto watch trash, I would rather watch that over, oh, any National Lampoon type film.

;)

#12 ·
Bad films made from good books are beyond counting. They must put some people off reading the book. Perhaps there are bad films about good music, having a similar effect on a few people. I'd be surprised if a lively and entertaining film such as Amadeus didn't turn some people on to Mozart, or other classical music.

#13 ·
I love films about composers, it's partly the reason I got so excited about Discovering Beethoven and the Vivaldi movie mentioned on these forums. Moments I like especially are when other composers wonder onto the scene and we get to see them interact with other composers. I don't really care if it's innacurate, it serves as a good film about the life of a composer. I hope more films are made using this concept.

#14 ·
OMG!

I just saw a couple of clips from this film on YouTube and was shocked! I can't believe that this bumbling buffoon of a character, at least as per the people who made the movie, could have written such works as the 40th symphony or the Requiem. I don't know the exact age of Mozart in that scene, but it was the one where he creates variations on a March written by Salieri, in the presence of the Austrian Emperor and others. Although I'm no expert on the life of Mozart or classical music, the way Mozart was portrayed (in that scene and the trailer) looked more like a parody.

I've heard that Salieri murdering Mozart is widely debunked, but what about the childishness of (adult) Mozart? Does history support that?

#18 ·
I've heard that Salieri murdering Mozart is widely debunked, but what about the childishness of (adult) Mozart? Does history support that?
There's no evidence at all that Salieri was responsible in any way for Mozart's death. Salieri confessed to killing him but he was quite mad late in his life (as in the asylum scenes in the movie.)

As for whether Mozart really was a buffoon who knows. But there has to be a reason that his complete letters weren't published for a couple of hundred years no? I seem to recall yet another anthology of Mozart's letters was published recently and supposedly it contains some of his more scatalogical missives. It's well known that Mozart's family were simply fascinated with bodily functions. Also I've heard that he was very fond of playing word games with his sister Nanerl. The scene in the movie where "Wolfie" talks backwards is an example of this.

Lisztfreak, I have heard a few things of Salieri's. He was best known for his operas I believe but I've never heard them. I don't even know if they are still performed. But I have a couple of cds of his instrumental music. One contains two piano concerti and the other is some works for woodwinds. I haven't listened to them very much because to be frank, like the output of many of Mozart's contemporaries, it's pleasant but forgettable.

#15 ·
Navneeth,

I sometimes wonder how seriously one can take interpretations of Mozart's life, especially if it isn't backed up with critical research and scholarship. Methinks I can entertain the notion of Mozart from time to time engaging in a little *Frat Boy* temperament, poking fun at the established order, embarassing the ladies with ribald humour, some carousing and debauchery, all those *those* things which sometimes the male species of the human race is capable of. Some call it *letting off steam*.

Regards!

Giovanni

#16 ·
Seeing the Amadeus movie changed my listening experience of Mozart's Requiem for ever. I can't listen to it without seeing the scenes from the film in my mind's eye again!

I know it's got almost nothing to do with historical facts, but it's a very good work.

Anyone acquainted with Salieri's music? I always wondered if he wrote any good stuff - perhaps it was unjust to forget his music.

#17 ·
We watched the first half of the movie in band class (the bell rang before it was over). From what I have seen of it, it is a good film, and the actors do a great job of portraying the characters, particularly Mozart and Salieri.

#19 ·
Was he really insane in his old age? How could he have been, if composers like Meyerbeer and Liszt were pupils of his?

Liszt was 16 when Salieri died, so Salieri couldn't have been unable to teach and talk reasonably in his final years!

#20 ·
Well, I finally saw the movie. Can't say I really liked it. I guess that's because of all the controversy surrounding the movie firmly rooted in my head. Don't take me wrong, but the American accent was somewhat a deterrent, too. Big sets, costumes and lots of white hair, and Murray Abraham was great as the old Salieri (can't seem to get that grin of his out of my head)! Great make up, too, I must add. Also, loved the scene where Constanze brings the scores to Salieri to get Mozart the job at the palace.

#21 ·
Well, I finally saw the movie. Can't say I really liked it. I guess that's because of all the controversy surrounding the movie firmly rooted in my head. Don't take me wrong, but the American accent was somewhat a deterrent, too. Big sets, costumes and lots of white hair, and Murray Abraham was great as the old Salieri (can't seem to get that grin of his out of my head)! Great make up, too, I must add. Also, loved the scene where Constanze brings the scores to Salieri to get Mozart the job at the palace.
I loved that scene also. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire movie, inspite of the historical inaccuracies et al. The music was absolutely marvelous. I love the Commandatore Scene of Don Giovanni, and when Mozart is ill in bed and having Salieri write down the score of the Requiem.:)

#22 ·
I saw this movie for the first time when I was about 12, and back then I didn't give it too much thought (nor did I care for music at all). I went back to watch it one or two years ago, and I absolutely love it (let's save the blah blah about historical innacuracy and accents for later). The musical choice is wonderful, the costumes and sets are vivid and incredible, and most of the actors are excellent (the actor who played Joseph II looked EXACTLY like the actual emperor).

I guess what I like so much about this movie is that it changed my perception of Mozart from an overrated bourgeois icon to a genius composer. I started by acquiring the works that are featured in the movie; the more i digged, the more I found awesome music (though not always original, but eh).

This film has greatly contributed to the revival of Mozart's notoriety in the 80s, and even today. Despite its age, this film always looks refreshing and modern. The only "giveaway" clue that it was made in the 80s is when they take off their wigs and you can see their awful hairdos! :D.

#23 ·
Ithe actor who played Joseph II looked EXACTLY like the actual emperor.
That's true. I was surprised when I checked Wikipedia after watching the movie. I think it also holds true for Constanze, although not to the same degree.

#24 ·
Was a good dramatic story. Of course it was not historically accurate (I remember the scene when Leopold visited Wolfgang. That was in 1785 and in real lige, Wolfgang's career was rather successful at that time. But the movie rather depicts the last year of Mozart, when he had financial problems.)

Btw, I can remember it, but is there any presence of Haydn in the movie. I'm just curious.

#25 ·
#29 ·
My bad; it seems that Beethoven and Mozart have indeed met, albeit for a short time.

http://www.madaboutbeethoven.com/pages/people_and_places/people_patrons/people_patrons_mozart.htm

http://www.all-about-beethoven.com/beethovenchildhood1.html

Vienna for the First Time. Studying with Mozart

However, young Beethoven was no longer satisfied with what Bonn's artistic life had to offer. Already an ardent Mozart fan, Beethoven decides to go to Vienna in 1787,, in order to study with Mozart. There is little information on Beethoven's first trip to Vienna. The date of his departure, as well as the length of his stay there, are virtually unknown. However, it is known that in 1787 Mozart found time to listen to him although at that time he was completely absorbed by the composition of Don Juan. The young composer brilliantly improvised on a theme suggested by Mozart, astonishing his entire audience. After having listened to him, Mozart said: " watch out for that boy. One day he will give the world something to talk about". Beethoven started taking lessons with Mozart.
Edit: The last line in the second source seems to contradict the first one.

#33 ·
I wonder where they picked that idea...

It isn't true that Beethoven was sent by the Archbishop of Cologne in Vienna to learn music? So it could have been possible that he met Mozart in 1787 and took a few lessons with him.

#31 ·
I think this movie is perfect for starters in Classical Music. There are 2 things which I like in the movie: 1. When Mozart demonstrated how to play 5 C's at the same time, and 2. how he composed the Requiem. T'was soooo dramatic. Well I guess the music was enough to create drama! Historically though, as in all other true-to-life films, the movie does not represent the true Mozart.

#35 ·
I was wondering what peice was mozart playing in front of the old man and all the dogs
Old man? Jospeh II wasn't all that old during that time. ;) I remember it being a piano concerto/work for piano and orcehstra, but not the name. Sorry.

and when he is walking with the wine shortly before seeing his father
That's the third movement from this piano concerto No.15.

There was a fan site for this movie, which I'm unable to locate at the moment (I'm guessing it has been taken down), which listed all the pieces that were featured. (It was called amadeusimmortal.com)

Related discussion of the movie in this forum can be found here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.