Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Symphony No. 8 - "Apocalyptic"

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Symphony No. 9 - "Unfinished"

Votes: 1 6.3%

Your Favorite Bruckner Symphony

21K views 62 replies 23 participants last post by  Brahmsian Colors 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if we have had a voting poll for Bruckner yet, but I figured why not just start one.

What's your favorite Bruckner symphony?

#9 ·
I'll lapse into recidivism and address this question via the ol' "countdown" format...

11) Symphony 1
10) Study Symphony
9) Die nullte
8) Symphony 4
7) Symphony 2
6) Number 3
5) Symphony 6
4) Number 9

3) Symphony 7
2) Number 8
... and finally
1) Symphony #5

#10 · (Edited)
I love the 8th and 9th so much, but I believe my current favorite is the Symphony No. 6 - "Philosophic."

From what I've read, the 6th is one of the most difficult to perform. This could be why you can't find it outside of a complete symphony cycle. The only recording I own of it outside of a cycle is Bernard Haitink with the Dresden Skaatskapelle on the Profil label.

#11 ·
Kurkikothaus, called Kurki, an old member of ours, once said that 4th is the favourite for beginners, 7th for novice and 8th for addicts.

It seems I haven't moved away from the novice category, so 7th is my favourite. I just love every movement of it.

#12 ·
Kurkikothaus, called Kurki, an old member of ours, once said that 4th is the favourite for beginners, 7th for novice and 8th for addicts.

It seems I haven't moved away from the novice category, so 7th is my favourite. I just love every movement of it.
Haha... yes, I am such a beginner... not to mention the fact that the fourth and ninth are the only two that I own...

#37 ·
No.4 is a bit slow out of the blocks, surprisingly!...
Hypothesis:

Among those people who have listened to all of the Bruckner symphonies, and are enthused about many of them, the 4th will figure to be less popular than it would be among a more "general" sampling of Classical fans.

Don't think I'm revealing any secret knowledge by saying that Bruckner fans will be disproportionately represented in this survey(!):D

#17 ·
I'm not going to vote because I haven't heard all of Bruckner's symphonies (and probably won't for another good few months), but I've gotten to really like Bruckner's 8th. I don't think the 4th stands up to it by a long shot; there is just so much more drama, a real struggle, in the 8th. The 4th starts happy, continues to be happy, and ends happy. Granted, there are some extraordinarily exalted and inspired moments in the 4th; so there are in the 8th as well, and the 9th (the only other I've yet heard). But I find the 8th that much more powerful and riveting because it's so existential and conflicted.

#18 ·
I'm actually glad the 4th isn't doing as well as some of his other symphonies. One would think it would top the charts because it is the most famous, and people often make uninformed choices because they often only have heard one or a movement from one. But this forum is much more educated than that. ;)

World, listen to the 7th and 6th next. The 7th is probably the most listenable of his symphonies, and not so repetitive and monotonous as the 4th (Actually very repetitive, but in the good way). The 6th is a symphony unique in itself, a very different mood, mysterious and much darker. And in my opinion, not as famous as it's supposed to be.

I myself have only heard the 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th because most of the Bruckner cycles are still so expensive, worse than Mahler!!! How do you people get these things so cheap is beyond me.

Mirror, the cheapest quality set on Amazon is the Jochem at $49.97. I'm not poor, but still...

#21 ·
I only voted for the 8th because it's the one I'm most familiar with.

Saucy Maid, lol really that the name of the First? Well, shucks. I'll name my first symphony "Foxxy Momma" then. ;)

#22 ·
I only voted for the 8th because it's the one I'm most familiar with.

Saucy Maid, lol really that the name of the First? Well, shucks. I'll name my first symphony "Foxxy Momma" then. ;)
Yeah, I know it's funny it's nickname roughly translates to "Saucy Maid." Do you think Bruckner knew a maid that was saucy? What did saucy mean back in those days? Did it mean sassy or something?

#23 ·
Well, I listened to all of his symphonies, and I still stand beside his 7th to remain as my favorite. The Scherzo really hits it home for me. I also remember quite enjoying the 3 movements his 'Unfinished' 9th had to offer and the first symphony also holds a very memorable Scherzo. I really should listen to the whole cycle again, because I remember his 8th had something very special going on in it, perhaps that apocalyptic feel, and I should be more familiar with all of his symphonies before I make such a vote. It also doesn't help when I'm sidetracked by the awesomeness of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe ;).

#25 ·
I really should listen to the whole cycle again, because I remember his 8th had something very special going on in it, perhaps that apocalyptic feel, and I should be more familiar with all of his symphonies before I make such a vote.
Yes, I find the 8th to be very existential and dramatic.

It also doesn't help when I'm sidetracked by the awesomeness of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe ;).
Indeed, it's rather hard to think of anything when one is being sidetracked by the awesomeness of Daphnis, not to mention Bruckner. Almost as polarly opposite in principle as two composers could possibly get: the sensual vs. the spiritual, although one could argue that the sensual strives for the spiritual?

#26 ·
****ed if I know!

Bruckner himself sometimes called the 5th his "Fantastic symphony." I've also seen it subtitled as the "Church of Faith" symphony. None of these descriptors does adequate justice to the nature of this piece... but 'Tragic,' I'd argue, does it the LEAST justice.

I once said that if I could do the 'Gilbert Kaplan' thing and allowed myself the fantasy of conducting a single work at a level of professional competency, it would be this one. As long as misconceptions like 'tragic' are attached to this opus, I can continue in the daydream that I could contribute to an improved understanding of this masterwork.

Bruckner's 5th, I believe, is best understood as a cyclical journey. It has as components other "sub-journeys" within its movements. Many of them are cyclical as well, others are more linear, or even straight-line retraces (e.g.: movement 3). The piece starts as a pulse, proceeds to a fanfare, and the opening movement ends in a brass-chorale. There's a lot of great music between the pulse of movement one and the finale of movement 4. Still, when the ensemble arrives at the brass-chorale once again, at the end of the piece, we have arrived in a long-sought-after realm.

Nothing "tragic" about it!!

#28 ·
Thanks for your (trying to) answer!

If I remember well, only the 4th was nicknamed by Bruckner himself, and the others, I'd say, were named in order to distinguish them better - they are all very much alike, one must say. But still those nicks are superfluous and deceiving. No use of them. It's just that people prefer names to numbers. Except mathematicians... but people do. :D ;)

As for the 'tragedy' in the 5th, I agree. Where the hell is it? After hearing the Finale one could name it 'Triumphant'.

#29 ·
Yes, that is true. For me, I go by the number, because it's easier to remember. :D

I also agree there is some unity between all the symphonies Bruckner wrote and that's apart of his genius I think. The thing with me is the reason I was having such a hard time with his symphonies in the beginning wasn't because of the familiarity between, but the size of them and all of them being in four movements really just started to pound the life out of me after a while.

After not listening to him for a complete month and after listening to a lot of other composers during this time, I came back to Bruckner. I'm not sure what even happened, but I remember just being floored and totally in awe of his music. I heard things that I didn't even hear before. It's like the sky was cloudy, but I heard a melody I really like and a beam of sunshine came through the clouds, then I heard a rhythm that was just powerful and finally it climaxed and sky was clear.

Sometimes I think that's what the best music does for us. It challenges us and gives us something to really think about, but then when we come back after being totally dumbfounded, it's like you finally hear what you've been missing out on.

Reactions: science
#42 ·
I'm listening to Symphony No. 2 right now and I forgot how good it was. It has some great melody lines, especially in the first movement.

All of Bruckner's symphonies offer something unique to the listener. I'm the only one who picked Symphony No. 6, but that's okay, because I heard something very interesting in this symphony that perhaps other people haven't picked up on just yet.

Most Bruckner fans go for the 7th and 8th and with good reason they are outstanding, but so is the 9th even though it's unfinished.

#43 ·
Most Bruckner fans go for the 7th and 8th and with good reason they are outstanding, but so is the 9th even though it's unfinished.
True. I chose the 7th for its outstanding melodies and fine textures, but the the 9th and the 5th are so close I might regret my decision in the end...

And thanks for the info! Although I really can't imagine that Adagio without the two fortissimo timpani rolls at the climax... I guess I will have to get another version to broaden my horizons. That's always good.

#54 ·
I just listened to all of the symphonies today so I feel better to make a decision now while I'm still in my short-term consciousness.

I voted for the 9th. I had a real fight deciding between the last 4 symphonies, because I like them all too much to single one out. The 6th has a very memorable adagio, the 7th is very balanced, perfected, and triumphant and the 8th is probably one of the most dramatic symphonies. However, the first movement of the 9th for me as dramatic as the 8th, but with that deathly feel that I sense whenever listening to a 9th symphony. The entry of the scherzo is eerier than the last movement of Berlioz's SF but continues in the absolutely gorgeous lush romantic melodies that sets the 9th apart form all his other symphonies. The adagio Bruckner called "his farewell to life" is a ghostly but beautiful ending, troubled and insecure, a lament for the end of his life.

So as of now:

9th, 7th, 8th, 6th
(somewhat below)
5th, 4th, 3rd
(far below)
2nd, 1st

I'm tired. :( Time to listen to some Schubert chamber works.

#55 ·
I just listened to all of the symphonies today so I feel better to make a decision now while I'm still in my short-term consciousness.

I voted for the 9th. I had a real fight deciding between the last 4 symphonies, because I like them all too much to single one out. The 6th has a very memorable adagio, the 7th is very balanced, perfected, and triumphant and the 8th is probably one of the most dramatic symphonies. However, the first movement of the 9th for me as dramatic as the 8th, but with that deathly feel that I sense whenever listening to a 9th symphony. The entry of the scherzo is eerier than the last movement of Berlioz's SF but continues in the absolutely gorgeous lush romantic melodies that sets the 9th apart form all his other symphonies. The adagio Bruckner called "his farewell to life" is a ghostly but beautiful ending, troubled and insecure, a lament for the end of his life.
The 9th is probably one of the greatest unfinished symphonies ever written in my opinion. It has everything in it. Heartbreak, sadness, angst, joy, and it questions one's own mortality. For me, it is perfect just the way it is. The third movement perfectly sums up what Bruckner's state of mind was like at that moment near the end.

I wish he would have composed more aside from the symphonies, some choral works, and few other small chamber pieces, he wasn't that prolific of a composer, but at the end of the day, it's quality, not quantity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.