Classical Music Forum banner

When you're NOT listening to classical, what do you listen to?

32K views 241 replies 145 participants last post by  Ariasexta 
#1 ·
We all love classical, but I am sure that all of us have some variety, I know I do. 90% percent of what I listen to is classic, or classic orientated.

However, somtimes, especially when I am angry, or frustrated, I will turn on some very heavy metal, or even some melodic death metal.

What do you listen to?

G
#201 ·
Mostly rock of varying "sorts" - such as Gosta Berlings Saga, Guapo, Secret Chiefs 3, Alice in Chains, Portishead...

Occasional forays into indigenous - such as traditional Japanese shakuhachi music and Tibetan religious music.

#218 ·
Monty Python Sings.

It makes me happy. :)

Reactions: Bettina
#221 ·
When I'm not listening to classical, I usually go to my nostalgia shelves, and that for me consists mostly of 1990's club music / chillout. I've been listening to The Avalanches, Massive Attack, and FSOL lately, along with the Orb, Underworld, and Thievery Corporation. A lot of that stuff still holds up, or at least it brings back memories of a less fettered time. (This makes it sound like those groups are no longer producing music: they are- Avalanches has recently released their second album. What I meant to imply is that their beginnings were tied up in the crazy club culture of that time.) Although I'm no longer an active participant in that scene, by listening to the music, I can close my eyes and believe I'm right there right now.

Reactions: Jos
#222 ·
Some great ones there, Antiquarian.
FSOL is great and I have the Peel sessions 12" from The Orb, you know, the track with that long name about an ever growing pulsating brain etc. Minni Ripperton sample. They still land on my deck every now and then.
This one below brings back great, be it somewhat cloudy:cool:, memories of my clubbing years. I sometimes miss them, those raving years. I grew up with pop and rock, still enjoy some of it, but boy was I glad that "house" or electronic music arrived. The bad stuff is quickly forgotten (and yes, there was a lot of bad music in that genre, like in any other) but the good tracks still stand the test of times, although it helps if you were part of the scene once.:)

#227 · (Edited)
70s and 80s

bluegrass, old time, and mountain music (around here, you're supposed to be intimately familiar with the precise differences between these entirely separate genres - I try!)

New Age, World, and, to my everlasting shame, those 3-hour deep-sleep/relaxation/meditation/DNA healing/third eye awakening/chakra-cleansing video things on YouTube (the thunderstorm ones are pretty good, too - I'm becoming quite the connoisseur of thunder timbres!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.