Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 124

Thread: Glenn Gould

  1. #106
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Gould I consider to be one of the finest pianists of Bach's music, and also had many interesting things to say about music in general.
    I think, however, that he is completely wrong(for my taste) in some of his assesments of composers like Mozart ("Mozart died too late rather than too early") and that Chopin and Schubert had no idea how to write for the piano, seems to me ridiculous.

  2. #107
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Glenn Gould is my favorite pianist and musician. A true genius and virtuoso.

  3. Likes flamencosketches liked this post
  4. #108
    Senior Member Allegro Con Brio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I dislike him (quite severely) in Bach aside from the '81 Goldbergs. I have a sinking feeling that those who deride Bach as "dry" and "mechanical" may not have explored performances outside of GG. His Beethoven is more palatable to me but not preferred. So I'll just point out my favorite thing he recorded- his disc of Brahms Intermezzi. He channels his idiosyncrasies into plumbing these little gems for every last morsel of beauty; finding voices, ideas, and emotions in this music that no one else could possibly do. And he supposedly only learned the music 2 weeks before the recording session!

  5. Likes wkasimer liked this post
  6. #109
    Senior Member flamencosketches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    the Deep South
    Posts
    6,389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allegro Con Brio View Post
    I dislike him (quite severely) in Bach aside from the '81 Goldbergs. I have a sinking feeling that those who deride Bach as "dry" and "mechanical" may not have explored performances outside of GG. His Beethoven is more palatable to me but not preferred. So I'll just point out my favorite thing he recorded- his disc of Brahms Intermezzi. He channels his idiosyncrasies into plumbing these little gems for every last morsel of beauty; finding voices, ideas, and emotions in this music that no one else could possibly do. And he supposedly only learned the music 2 weeks before the recording session!
    that's my favorite Gould recording too. Phenomenal disc. Hit me right in the soul the first time I heard it.

  7. #110
    Senior Member starthrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Syracuse, NY USA
    Posts
    12,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like his Beethoven. I bought quite a few of the 2012 edition Bach sets but I don't listen to them very much. Dry and mechanical is an apt description. I might try some Evelyn Crochet. Her WTC sounds very good. I spend more time watching GG on TV via YouTube than listening to the CDs.
    “Music makes you feel feelings. Words make you think thoughts. But a song can make you feel a thought.”

    - Yip Harburg

  8. #111
    Senior Member Zhdanov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    moscow, russia.
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allegro Con Brio View Post
    those who deride Bach as "dry" and "mechanical"
    those who do so just don't understand that some works are supposed to sound this way.

    mathematics, physics and literature are what music derives from; its not always about feelings alone.

    science constitutes the mechanism of music language to write a literary piece, which is a score.

  9. #112
    Senior Member starthrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Syracuse, NY USA
    Posts
    12,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's all just notes on paper until a musician plays and interprets the music and gives it life. It's like a blueprint for a house. It's just a blueprint until someone builds and decorates the house and makes it a home.
    “Music makes you feel feelings. Words make you think thoughts. But a song can make you feel a thought.”

    - Yip Harburg

  10. Likes Allegro Con Brio liked this post
  11. #113
    Senior Member Zhdanov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    moscow, russia.
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starthrower View Post
    It's all just notes on paper until a musician plays and interprets the music and gives it life.
    if there was no composer and his notes, then how a musician plays anything?

    the sound does matter a lot and this is what makes music so special and unique.

    however, sound without message and means to convey it would be mere noise.

  12. #114
    Senior Member Allegro Con Brio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh, Glenn. Your technical giftings are out of this world. If only you would take the time to make music with it! Whenever I hear him play almost anything, all I hear are robotic, AI-type sounds shorn of any sort of expression. It's like a soulless machine gun of notes. So, I ask you, Gouldanians of TC: what makes you love him so much? I'm not asking this in a condescending way, I'm just genuinely curious. If at all possible, I would love to appreciate what he does, but I'm just not hearing it right now. Certainly his way with slower, introspective music is brilliant- if only he more often flashed the level of insight he did in his Brahms album! His slow movements from Beethoven and Mozart sonatas are utterly transcendental. But most of the time; all I hear is mindless, mechanical plunking with no dynamic range whatsoever (he doesn't vary his touch at all). What should I be listening for if I have any hope of liking Gould? For those who praise the depth of his musicianship, what about it attracts you?

  13. #115
    Senior Member Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    27,389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allegro Con Brio View Post
    Oh, Glenn. Your technical giftings are out of this world. If only you would take the time to make music with it! Whenever I hear him play almost anything, all I hear are robotic, AI-type sounds shorn of any sort of expression. It's like a soulless machine gun of notes. So, I ask you, Gouldanians of TC: what makes you love him so much? I'm not asking this in a condescending way, I'm just genuinely curious. If at all possible, I would love to appreciate what he does, but I'm just not hearing it right now. Certainly his way with slower, introspective music is brilliant- if only he more often flashed the level of insight he did in his Brahms album! His slow movements from Beethoven and Mozart sonatas are utterly transcendental. But most of the time; all I hear is mindless, mechanical plunking with no dynamic range whatsoever (he doesn't vary his touch at all). What should I be listening for if I have any hope of liking Gould? For those who praise the depth of his musicianship, what about it attracts you?
    First, I hear the expression that you find absent. Second, nobody makes the counterpoint come to life as vividly as Gould.

  14. #116
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    20,086
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Gould has always been divisive, starting in the 1950s and continuing today. Some people like his playing, some don't. Of course the latter group is quite wrong...


  15. Likes flamencosketches, Barbebleu liked this post
  16. #117
    Banned (Temporarily)
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,397
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    139

    Default

    I see similarities in Glenn Gould and Sviatoslav Richter, and I read that they had a mutual respect.

  17. Likes flamencosketches liked this post
  18. #118
    Banned (Temporarily)
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,397
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    139

    Default

    Wanda Landowska, now there's a divisive figure.

  19. Likes flamencosketches liked this post
  20. #119
    Senior Member starthrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Syracuse, NY USA
    Posts
    12,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhdanov View Post
    if there was no composer and his notes, then how a musician plays anything?
    I believe Horowitz was a bit taken aback after listening to Art Tatum improvise an amazing piece of music. He asked Art if he could see the music and Tatum responded, "there is no sheet music, I just made it up on the spot."
    “Music makes you feel feelings. Words make you think thoughts. But a song can make you feel a thought.”

    - Yip Harburg

  21. Likes Barbebleu liked this post
  22. #120
    Senior Member Zhdanov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    moscow, russia.
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millionrainbows View Post
    I see similarities in Glenn Gould and Sviatoslav Richter,
    i for one see none, because they were so different. Gould was enirely absorbed in music, he sacrificed his life to it. Richter meanwhile was open to every pleasure outside his profession and took lightly the stress of performing in public.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Goldberg Variations - Who - Glenn Gould?
    By richardgaray in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: Sep-02-2015, 06:11
  2. Glenn Gould recordings newly re-mastered?
    By Anders in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May-11-2010, 23:59
  3. What's Gould playing here?
    By Krisjan Swart in forum Solved Cases (archive)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Dec-27-2009, 10:06
  4. Glenn Gould
    By Music lover in forum Musicians
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jan-29-2009, 13:58
  5. Glenn Gould
    By Daniel in forum Keyboard Instruments
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Sep-11-2004, 13:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •