Banner: The Hope for brass band, organ, choir, and percussion

Page 484 of 485 FirstFirst ... 384434474480481482483484485 LastLast
Results 7,246 to 7,260 of 7266

Thread: What was the last film you watched?

  1. #7246
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Was it good? Great cast!
    I am sorry, seeing your question just now, it is entertaining, you have to forget the "old" one with today's technique this is more sophisticated. Saw it in the cinema when it came out and that suited us more.
    How great this cast is looking, I prefer the older version.

  2. Likes ldiat, Kieran, znapschatz liked this post
  3. #7247
    Senior Member Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    2,755
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerx View Post
    I am sorry, seeing your question just now, it is entertaining, you have to forget the "old" one with today's technique this is more sophisticated. Saw it in the cinema when it came out and that suited us more.
    How great this cast is looking, I prefer the older version.
    Oh, the old one had a great cast too, including Bette Davis, if memory serves. I have a soft spot for classic murder mysteries and this one is one of the best. I'll watch out for it, but it has a hard act to follow...
    The Brain - is wider than the Sky

  4. Likes Rogerx liked this post
  5. #7248
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bosnia
    Posts
    373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Last 3 movies I watched:
    Electricity (2014) - about a woman with epilepsy... not bad... 7.5/10
    Our Souls At Night (2017) - about senior citizens finding a way to fight loneliness - quite good, fresh story - 8/10
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) - an excellent and fun teen comedy that sometimes makes you think too. And it's not about sex and getting drunk... 8.6/10

    Btw... I started a blog about movies... so if you're interested you can check my longer reviews at 24fpslife.wordpress.com

  6. Likes Kieran liked this post
  7. #7249
    Senior Member Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    2,755
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZJovicic View Post
    Last 3 movies I watched:
    Electricity (2014) - about a woman with epilepsy... not bad... 7.5/10
    Our Souls At Night (2017) - about senior citizens finding a way to fight loneliness - quite good, fresh story - 8/10
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) - an excellent and fun teen comedy that sometimes makes you think too. And it's not about sex and getting drunk... 8.6/10

    Btw... I started a blog about movies... so if you're interested you can check my longer reviews at 24fpslife.wordpress.com
    Great stuff, ZJovicic - just bookmarked it! Nice site, can't wait til there's more reviews to read...
    The Brain - is wider than the Sky

  8. Likes ZJovicic liked this post
  9. #7250
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bosnia
    Posts
    373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you Kieran

  10. Likes Kieran liked this post
  11. #7251
    Senior Member Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    2,755
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZJovicic View Post
    Thank you Kieran
    Have you watched The Disaster artist? A film about making a (lousy) film? I watched it the other night and will give it another spin at the weekend, it's that good...
    The Brain - is wider than the Sky

  12. #7252
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


    Not seen it since release in theatre, love it.

  13. Likes ldiat, Kieran liked this post
  14. #7253
    Senior Member ldiat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Piru,Ca
    Posts
    2,154
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerx View Post

    Not seen it since release in theatre, love it.
    Yo! My home town now!!

  15. Likes Kieran, Rogerx liked this post
  16. #7254
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


    Vanity kills people, good acting by Ben Barnes.
    Picture of Dorian Gray.

  17. Likes ldiat liked this post
  18. #7255
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eugeneonagain View Post
    Ben Wishaw is good in most things.
    Sunday night; BBC 1


    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/20...scandal-on-tv/

  19. Likes ldiat liked this post
  20. #7256
    Senior Member Vronsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
    Directed by: Isao Takahata

  21. Likes ldiat, MattB, Jacck liked this post
  22. #7257
    Senior Member Joe B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Northeastern CT
    Posts
    1,491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vronsky View Post


    Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
    Directed by: Isao Takahata
    I just looked this up....looks interesting and worth a watch. How did you find the film?
    I love music. I want music. I need music.

  23. Likes laurie, ldiat liked this post
  24. #7258
    Senior Member eugeneonagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Les Pays-Bas
    Posts
    1,899
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerx View Post
    Ah! Good heads-up there. I'll tune in to that. Hartstikke bedankt.

  25. #7259
    Senior Member Vronsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
    I just looked this up....looks interesting and worth a watch. How did you find the film?
    I found Grave of the Fireflies couple years ago in the section named Great Movies on Roger Ebert's website. Roger's review was excellent, and every other review I found about the Grave of the Fireflies was excellent. The imagery is fabulous, the use of the watercolor has great resemblance to Belgian-French comic book authors, probably there's some influence.

    On the emotional level, I liked one of the descriptions Roger is using, he writes: There are moments of quick action, as when the bombs rain down and terrified people fill the streets, but this film doesn’t exploit action; it meditates on its consequences.

    Grave of the Fireflies focuses strictly on individual struggles during war. The movie also exposes human greed in apocalyptic conditions.
    Last edited by Vronsky; May-20-2018 at 11:15.

  26. Likes Joe B, laurie liked this post
  27. #7260
    Senior Member Joe B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Northeastern CT
    Posts
    1,491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vronsky View Post
    I found Grave of the Fireflies couple years ago in the section named Great Movies on Roger Ebert's website. Roger's review was excellent, and every other review I found about the Grave of the Fireflies was excellent. The imagery is fabulous, the use of the watercolor has great resemblance to Belgian-French comic book authors, probably there's some influence.

    On the emotional level, I liked one of the descriptions Roger is using, he writes: There are moments of quick action, as when the bombs rain down and terrified people fill the streets, but this film doesn’t exploit action; it meditates on its consequences.

    Grave of the Fireflies focuses strictly on individual struggles during war. The movie also exposes human greed in apocalyptic conditions.
    I just went to amazon.com to put this into my cart and found this video by Roger Ebert:

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K3FGUGA?ref=dp_vse_rvc0

    Needless to say, it's in my cart. Thanks for posting this!
    I love music. I want music. I need music.

  28. Likes Vronsky, laurie liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. What makes a good film score? A discussion of WHY you love your fav. film scores
    By Zuo17 in forum The Movie Corner: Music for Cinema and TV
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Mar-09-2018, 02:47
  2. Will Film Music last?
    By Cortision in forum The Movie Corner: Music for Cinema and TV
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Dec-05-2017, 20:47
  3. Paderewski’s film debut: 1937
    By RonPrice in forum Musicians
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul-14-2014, 13:30
  4. 'The tail wagging the dog': Film scores > the Film- Examples
    By Rondo in forum The Movie Corner: Music for Cinema and TV
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jan-24-2012, 23:27
  5. The Village - alternatives for graduation film
    By daan in forum The Movie Corner: Music for Cinema and TV
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep-08-2009, 01:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •