Classical Music Forum banner

The definitive orchestral recordings of Bizet

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Pugg 
#1 ·
Does anyone have recommendations of the orchestral works of Bizet.

Brilliant classics has issued a cheap version licensed from ASV featuring
Enrique Batiz and Orquestra Filarmonica de México. Is this the definitive
version or should I consider some other recordings as well?

#3 · (Edited)
Looks like this thread has pretty much been ignored. Bizet's Symphony is a colorful, refreshing and musically appealing work. My personal faves happen to be Bernstein/New York Philharmonic and Munch/Royal Philharmonic. Ansermet, Beecham and Stokowski also offer fine performances....The composer's Carmen and L'Arlesienne Suites are probably his most popular works for orchestra. They too provide the listener with a good number of attractive melodies. Paray/Detroit Symphony and Ormandy with the Philadelphia Orchestra are my top recommendations. One also can't go wrong with Ansermet/Suisse Romande Orchestra or Beecham and the French Orchestra of Radio and Television. If you like what you hear from this composer, you might find other works of his enjoyable as well.

#12 ·
yeah but!......

strange coincidence round here-my disc of choice for the last approx. 20 years at this time of year has been the Orpheus C.O.(DG) performing Prokofievs 1st and Brittens Simple Symphony as well as BIZETS SYMPHONY IN C !!!!!!!

a great cd which recently lead me to a second hand copy of the same band performing Mendelssohns String Symphonies!......after a couple of listens it went on 'that 'pile!

Reactions: hpowders
#14 ·
yeah but!......

strange coincidence round here-my disc of choice for the last approx. 20 years at this time of year has been the Orpheus C.O.(DG) performing Prokofievs 1st and Brittens Simple Symphony as well as BIZETS SYMPHONY IN C !!!!!!!

a great cd which recently lead me to a second hand copy of the same band performing Mendelssohns String Symphonies!......after a couple of listens it went on 'that 'pile!
Wrap it in and make someone happy with it this Christmas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.