2. Hound Dog Taylor and the HouseRockers--first
3. Burnside on Burnside
4. Roy Rogers--Blues on the Range
5. North Mississippi Allstars--Shake Hands with Shorty
6. Collins, cray, Copeland--Showdown
7. John Mooney and Bluesiana--Travelin' On
8. Johnny Winter--first
9. Stevie Ray Vaughan--Live Alive
10. Allman Brothers Band--At Fillmore East.

#59 · (Edited)
here are some of my favorite recordings:

1. Buddy Guy--Stone Crazy
2. Hound Dog Taylor and the HouseRockers--first
3. Burnside on Burnside
4. Roy Rogers--Blues on the Range
5. North Mississippi Allstars--Shake Hands with Shorty
6. Collins, cray, Copeland--Showdown
7. John Mooney and Bluesiana--Travelin' On
8. Johnny Winter--first
9. Stevie Ray Vaughan--Live Alive
10. Allman Brothers Band--At Fillmore East.
First meaning his first album? Well, Johnny sort of had two first albums, one he had cut before hitting the big time and his first Columbia album. Both are great albums. The Columbia album of course was heavily promoted, and so was the first to most people, but then the other first album was released by his old manager and cut into the sales figures of the Columbia album. Because his second Columbia album was called "Second Winter," some refer to the first Columbia album as First Winter (though more commonly it is referred to as "The Black Album"). So maybe that is what you mean.

Columbia album

Great site for Johnny Winter info: The Johnny Winter Story

#60 ·
Florestan--yes, the first Columbia release. I bought the LP when it first came out. I still have it but it is a little beat up, so I recently purchased the remastered version which adds three tracks.

I should have also mentioned the Paul Butterfield Blues band, Lonnie Brooks, Lil' Ed and the Blues Imperials, J. B. Hutto, the Siegel-Schwall Blues Band, Mighty Joe Young, Dave "Snaker" Ray, Son Seals.....

It is a long list.

#67 · (Edited)
There are many people who made the blues just a wonderful form of music. But I don't think that anyone did more for the blues than Willie Dixon. Willie played bass, wrote many of the great blues tunes of the 50's and 60's. Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters, the two giants of that era, vied for his songs. Plus he was a great producer of recorded music; truly a legend.

Here is a tune from Willie Dixon "The Chess Box". This is a great pair of CDs that shows off Willie and some of the blues giants performing his songs. This song that I have chosen is Willie doing his own tune. It's called "Walkin the Blues". I love this song.

#73 ·

Reactions: ldiat
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.