Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 203

Thread: Opera on DVD/Blu-ray/CD Chat

  1. #151
    Traverso
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scopitone View Post
    Ava's one of the all-time beauties, for sure!

    But for that song, I prefer the 1936 version:

    I'm sure i've seen that movie (long ago) It's pretty obvious that Ava was not singing.

  2. #152
    Senior Member Scopitone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Neptune, CA
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    The ones I've got which have a CD-Rom included are downloadable as a pdfs. Before EMI was broken up, they had a site where you could access and download lots of libretti as pdf. I managed to get all of them before EMI folded. They didn't do synopses and history but libretti was better than nothing.

    Screen shot of Don Carlo libretto as example. Click to enlarge.

    Attachment 87512
    That's exactly what I had in mind, thanks.

    A paper booklet is nicer. But the pdf would be perfect in a pinch.

  3. #153
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There are a lot of libretti online, sometimes including translations into other languages (English or otherwise). Of course these libretti don't have refer to track numbers, and may be of a different edition than the one used on the recording you are listening to (such as including fewer/different/more cuts).

    At any rate: this Libretto Index collects a lot of those available.

  4. Likes sospiro liked this post
  5. #154
    Senior Member Scopitone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Neptune, CA
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    At any rate: this Libretto Index collects a lot of those available.
    Bookmarked now!

    I used this one when listening to Act III of Die Valkure and watching part of Tannheuser on youtube. I was able to follow along pretty well, except for crowd scenes. And if I looked away for a few lines, I would get lost.
    http://www.rwagner.net/e-t-opere.html

    ETA: I see that Wagner page is linked in your index.
    Last edited by Scopitone; Aug-09-2016 at 01:29.

  6. #155
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scopitone View Post


    It's time to start buying some CDs. I love the streaming option, but it doesn't come with the Libretto or any liner notes at all.

    Just got my shipping notice for this CD set. I would have paid for a New one (to be a supporter and all), but the Like New was half the price.
    Wonderful choice, no one weak spot in the whole recording .

  7. Likes Scopitone, sospiro liked this post
  8. #156
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traverso View Post
    I prefer Ava Gardner,sorry Pugg.


    There's no need, Fleming didn't record Showboat, I was referring to Lucretia Borgia , one the same label.

  9. Likes N/A liked this post
  10. #157
    Senior Member sospiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    There are a lot of libretti online, sometimes including translations into other languages (English or otherwise). Of course these libretti don't have refer to track numbers, and may be of a different edition than the one used on the recording you are listening to (such as including fewer/different/more cuts).

    At any rate: this Libretto Index collects a lot of those available.
    Excellent, thank you.
    Ann

  11. #158
    Senior Member Scopitone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Neptune, CA
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Does anyone have a release from this Home of Opera series? (doesn't have to be Capriccio - there're a bunch of releases)

    I am trying to see if it comes with libretto. I can't see any mention on the WB page or the amazon or Presto descriptions.


  12. Likes Pugg liked this post
  13. #159
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scopitone View Post
    Does anyone have a release from this Home of Opera series? (doesn't have to be Capriccio - there're a bunch of releases)

    I am trying to see if it comes with libretto. I can't see any mention on the WB page or the amazon or Presto descriptions.

    I follow you, not stalking



    This is the answer : Plus CD-ROM with Libretto & Synopsis.
    jpc.de site
    Last edited by Pugg; Aug-09-2016 at 16:10.

  14. #160
    Senior Member Scopitone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Neptune, CA
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugg View Post
    This is the answer : Plus CD-ROM with Libretto & Synopsis.
    jpc.de site
    Is that this newer version? Or is it the version with the yellow background that came out a few years ago? The yellow ones clearly advertise the presence of the CD-Rom. This "Home of Opera" version doesn't.

    Not that it matters. It's cheap enough on the Presto sale that I might just order Capriccio and see what happens. That's a helluva cast.
    Last edited by Scopitone; Aug-09-2016 at 18:33.

  15. #161
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scopitone View Post
    Is that this newer version? Or is it the version with the yellow background that came out a few years ago? The yellow ones clearly advertise the presence of the CD-Rom. This "Home of Opera" version doesn't.

    Not that it matters. It's cheap enough on the Presto sale that I might just order Capriccio and see what happens. That's a helluva cast.
    One the JPC site it's this version the green colour.

  16. #162
    Senior Member Scopitone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Neptune, CA
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugg View Post
    One the JPC site it's this version the green colour.
    Nice. That's the kind of info I was looking to discover.

  17. #163
    Senior Member Scopitone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Neptune, CA
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    moved to proper thread...
    Last edited by Scopitone; Sep-21-2016 at 06:53. Reason: Wrong thread

  18. #164
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nonesuch is currently running a 50% off John Adams sale for his birthday.

    They have released a large catalog of his music including Nixon in China on both CD (Edo de Waart) and DVD (from the Met), recordings of The Death of Klinghoffer, I Was Looking at the Ceiling and Then I Saw the Sky, El Niño, and A Flowering Tree, as well as plenty of non-opera/oratorio-related works.

  19. #165
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Italia
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Fotor_148907424352248.jpg with a glass of wine .

Similar Threads

  1. Miscellaneous Opera-related Chat
    By FragendeFrau in forum Opera
    Replies: 1764
    Last Post: Oct-16-2020, 14:16
  2. 'Members Chat'
    By dmg in forum Site Feedback & Technical Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Feb-15-2011, 05:59
  3. How we chat with own city members?
    By bartonhold in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug-18-2010, 06:55
  4. Classical Music Chat Room
    By Ignis Fatuus in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Nov-07-2009, 06:04
  5. Sat 5PM EST (GMT -5), 9PM GMT 0 VIDEO CHAT SCHEDULED
    By living_stradivarius in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Nov-02-2008, 14:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •